• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Back to Martinique

Ed Hamilton

After more time in the US than I deserve, I'm heading back to Martinique on Friday and will return Aug 2. With sugar cane syrup. Hopefully in a few weeks this wonderful syrup will be available in the US.

I won't have much internet time while I'm gone, so I'll catch up in a couple of weeks.

Cheers for now.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

After a week in Martinique I'm back in the US and happy to report that Martinique sugar cane syrup is coming to the US next month. This syrup is quite different to the simple syrups used in most bars.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

After a week in Martinique I'm back in the US and happy to report that Martinique sugar cane syrup is coming to the US next month. This syrup is quite different to the simple syrups used in most bars.

I recently mail-ordered cane syrup from William's Family Farm in Florida. It has a molasses like flavor (though nowhere near as intense as molasses) and is light to medium brown in color.

Is the cane syrup from Martinique at all like this, or does it completely differ in taste and color?

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

Martinique sugar cane syrup is really nothing like fresh sugar cane juice. Since it is made after some of the impurities from the juice have been removed by adding lime and simmering the fresh juice. There is only a hint of molasses in the finish but the golden color is much lighter than any of the simple syrups or sugar cane syrups I've found in the US.

There is a discussion of (not so) simple syrup on the Cocktails and Fine Spirits forum here at egullet.

Martinique sugar cane syrup is more than 2/3 sugar, just slightly below saturation at room temperature, it will crystallize is kept in the refrigerator. The biggest difference in this syrup and the others I've found is in the taste. There is a prominent sugar cane taste and it makes a much better ti punch than anything else I've found, outside the French islands.

If you'd like a 50ml sample send me a pm with a mailing address where you can recieve a small package in the mail.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com