• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Winteringham Fields Been Sold!

Just seen this on Caterer-Online.com

Never been up to the restaurant myself yet, think I’ll have to get up there before the Schwab's step down.

Sounds like an interesting and exciting couple have bought the place, with lots of ideas and focus.

Congratulations though to Annie and Germain and hope they continue to play a large part in the industry.

Paul

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper

i have been many times, a truely individual restaurant run impeccably by the schwabs, a real chef's chef if ever there was one.

being nearby i have heard various tales of who it had been sold to and i am relieved the new owners are committed to carrying on the high standards set by annie and germain.

germain is one of the last of the 'old school' that was interested only in his restaurant and being there for every service. To me it is a text book example of how a 2/3 star should be run, i have not had better service in the UK.

by all accounts robbie thompson is an exceptional talent and can carry the restaurant, when an earlier sale was proposed that was a major sticking point, no chef was willing to fill germain's shoes.

hopefully i'll see a bit more of them in my local when they retire, my mate loves the extra pressure of cooking for a 2* chef!

you don't win friends with salad

Thanks for that.

and the AA routeplanner thingymebob tells me it's only 62 miles or so from Leeds to Winteringham so I should try and make some plans ...

Is the urge to dine in a restaurant you know is about to close the same one that leads you to buy the greatest hits of a recently deceased pop star?

In a similar vein, am I mistaken Andy or were you not (like myself) suprised to learn of the earlier than expected closure of the Merchant House. I seem to remember we both missed out on one last meal there when it closed in late February(?). Nevertheless - I hear rumours of a possible return from a certain Mr Hill.

Re Winteringham- The end of an era, sadly, but gosh do they deserve to enjoy a happy retirement. We had a fabulous very lenghty meal courtesy of Mr Marshall's request (and er, lunch the same day) a few years back. Good luck to them

Is the urge to dine in a restaurant you know is about to close the same one that leads you to buy the greatest hits of a recently deceased pop star?

Umm, was that directed at me? Isn't it more like trying to get a ticket to one of their last gigs on their farewell tour because you've never managed to see them live before? Actually WF has been on my list for far too long and for a myriad of reasons, still haven't got there. :sad: So no, not really borne out of some sort of morbid curiosity ...

The greatest hits CD purchase you suggest is more like buying their cookbook at a later stage perhaps ....

Nevertheless - I hear rumours of a possible return from a certain Mr Hill.

Keep up Bapi :laugh:

Well, I was being subtle Scott. But I know that you spell and understand the meaning of the word to be stubble. Not that you can grow any :biggrin:

Edited by Bapi (log)

In a similar vein, am I mistaken Andy or were you not (like myself) suprised to learn of the earlier than expected closure of the Merchant House. I seem to remember we both missed out on one last meal there when it closed in late February(?). Nevertheless - I hear rumours of a possible return from a certain Mr Hill.

Quite correct, I was very sad not to be able to enjoy one last meal at The Merchant House.

Actually WF has been on my list for far too long and for a myriad of reasons, still haven't got there.  :sad: So no, not really borne out of some sort of morbid curiosity ...

i don't think things will change that perceptibly on the food front. i get the impression robbie thompson has had a lot of input into the menu and has been head chef for some time now.

If the new owners want to keep the standards and go for 3 * then the old adage 'if it 'aint broke, don't fix it' hopefully applies.

last time it was 'sold' though (about 2 years ago) bookings went through the roof!

you don't win friends with salad

• 1 month later...