• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Black Vinegar

mudbug

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

I can't find my usual brand of Zhenjiang vinegar lately but I did get this... I'm curious to try it.

I don't know that specific brand, but Shanxi Aged Vinegar is possibly the most easily available black vinegar here. Being cheaper than Zhenjiang may help.

I'm a bit surprised by some of the ingredients, though. Peas? Also, surprised it doesn't seem to give an age. That would be more normal.

• Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

46 minutes ago, shain said:

Yes, have you tried it?

Not that particular brand, but I know of it. It is a well-respected Zhenjiang vinegar (and Zhenjiang is the premium black vinegar).  I am wondering though if it has an age indication of the label.

This is normally 3 years at minimum. The Zhenjiang I buy is 6 years aged, but I've also seen 5 years and once, when I was in Zhenjiang, I bought an awesome 9 year aged version.

The age is indicated either in Arabic numerals or Chinese  (both are used here).

3 years = 三年
5 years = 五年
6 years = 六年
9 years = 九年

If there is no age indication, then it's almost certainly 3 years, the minimum.

Also the ingredients should be only water, glutinous rice, wheat bran, sugar, salt. No caramel, no peas!

• Like 2

This is the premium brand of Zhenjiang vinegar that I regularly buy. 6 year aged. 恒顺 (héng shùn) is by far the largest producer in Zhenjiang.

1774101013__20220408114748.thumb.jpg.fd31a9edcc420f3a85507adbcb45bb33.jpg

The last line of text - 手工糯米坛酿 (shǒu gōng nuò mǐ tán niàn) indicates that it is hand made from glutinous rice.

It does cost about 3 to 4 times the price of the Shanxi vinegar.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1