• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

6 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Are you able to tell me if one of these is better to use than the other?  I'm making something that calls for black vinegar and when I went through my vinegar cupboard I found these.  I recognize that neither of these may be anyone's first choice but right now, it's all I have to work with.

Of the two, I would say the Taiwanese one on the left would be the better, depending on what's in it. Does it list ingredients? They should be glutinous rice, malt, water and salt. No more!

The Hong Kong one on the right appears to be a sweetened vinegar. That said, I haven't tasted either. I'm just going by the information I can see on the labels.

Also, what dish you are planning might make a difference.

For the best, next time go for one of these (at the link below) marked Zhenjiang or Chinkiang.

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=black+vinegar&crid=20ENSQU73DR9Y&sprefix=black+vinegar%2Caps%2C291&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

liuzhou

liuzhou

Are you able to tell me if one of these is better to use than the other?  I'm making something that calls for black vinegar and when I went through my vinegar cupboard I found these.  I recognize that neither of these may be anyone's first choice but right now, it's all I have to work with.

Of the two, I would say the Taiwanese one on the left would be the better, depending on what's in it. Does it list ingredients? They should be glutinous rice, malt, water and salt. No more!

The Hong Kong one on the right appears to be a sweetened vinegar. That said, I haven't tasted either. I'm just going by the information I can see on the labels.

For the best, next time go for one of these (at the link below) marked Zhenjiang or Chinkiang. The Shanxi one is a good runner-up.

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=black+vinegar&crid=20ENSQU73DR9Y&sprefix=black+vinegar%2Caps%2C291&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

liuzhou

liuzhou

Of the two, I would say the Taiwanese one on the left would be the better.

The Hong Kong one on the right appears to be a sweetened vinegar. That said, I haven't tasted eithr. I'm just going by the information I can see on the labels. Does the Taiwan one list ingredients?

Ingredient should be glutinous rice, malt, water and salt.

For the best, next time go for one of these marked Zhenjiang or Chinkiang. The Shanxi one is a good runner-up.

liuzhou

liuzhou

The Hong Kong one on the right appears to be a sweetened vinegar. That said, I haven't tasted eithr. I'm just going by the information I can see on the labels. Does the Taiwan one list ingredients?

For the best, next time go for one of these marked Zhenjiang or Chinkiang. The Shanxi one is a good runner-up.

liuzhou

liuzhou

5 hours ago, ElsieD said: