• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hartford Recommendations

weinoo

We'll be staying right off of Route 91 in Hartford tomorrow night, heading to Wallingford for a show, and was wondering what a few Hartford faves are - we'll be dining early - between 5:30 and 6 - please help! Price isn't important - food is.

Any great Italian? Thanks.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

For great modern Italian cuisine, I'd recommend Peppercorns...it's on Main St in downtown Hartford. It's one of the best restaurants in Hartford, IMHO. http://www.peppercornsgrill.com/index2.html

If you're looking for more traditional Italian, I would try Carbone's on Franklin Ave on the south end.

Nothing to see here.

We had dinner at Max's Oyster Bar in West Hartford and it was fantastic, as usual. Started with some kumamoto oysters that were so delicious and creamy, then the evening's special: grilled striped bass, with fingerling potatoes and fava bean succotash. Excellent, indeed, as was my husband's pan seared halibut. A bit pricey, but worth it, just another example how you really can't go wrong with any of the Max Group restaurants. (Max's Downtown, near the Civic Center, is also good if you're in the mood for steak. We've heard good things about Trumbull Kitchen, but haven't tried it yet. here's a link the the website: Max

Bricco serves delicious wood-grilled food and pizzas, and you shouldn't have too much of a wait at that hour.

Well, thanks all for the Hartford recommendations - unfortunately, it took 4 hours to drive to Hartford from NYC on Friday afternoon :shock: which really aggravated me- didn't think we had enough time to make it into town and get to the show on time, so we ate at a place right next to our Holiday Inn called something like the US Chowderpot - which worried me. Turned out that the clam chowder was delicious and they had clam bellies which were perfectly fried and yummy - imagine that!! The large peel and eat shrimp that I had at the bar after the show were also perfect - exit 27 off of Route 91.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 2 years later...
for lunch you have to try on 20 in the hartford steam boiler building. $32 prix fix menu. best restaurant in the city. ask for chef noel jones.

Here's the link for On Twenty

http://www.ontwenty.com/

My boss had a 17 course tasting menu there and said it was one of the best meals of her life. Only lunch though, no dinner.

I just wrote about Hartford's dining scene for US Airways magazine, and I lived in Hartford for a good 10 years. For dinner, I'd suggest Firebox (www.fireboxrestaurant.com). Excellent wine selection, consistently good reviews on the food, and an interesting space. I also like that they buy from local farms, although this time of year ....

Diana Burrell, freelance writer/author

The Renegade Writer's Query Letters That Rock (Marion Street Press, Nov. 2006)

DianaCooks.com

My eGullet blog

The Renegade Writer Blog

• 3 weeks later...

I personally enjoy Tapas at 1150 New Britain Ave. for a great lunch when in the West Hartford area. Everything has always been fresh (they claim to not even have a freezer). Theirs is one of the best Greek salads I have ever had. Their lamb patty lunch entry is one of my faves. They have a downtown location and a place also on New Britain Ave called the Corner Pug that has a good following. When gas was a little more affordable, Trader Joes, Whole Foods and Tapas was a regular West Hartford excursion treat for us.

HC

• 1 month later...
I just wrote about Hartford's dining scene for US Airways magazine, and I lived in Hartford for a good 10 years. For dinner, I'd suggest Firebox (www.fireboxrestaurant.com). Excellent wine selection, consistently good reviews on the food, and an interesting space. I also like that they buy from local farms, although this time of year ....

I've been to Firebox 3 times and was disappointed every time. This is a restaurant I really WANT to be good. I love the idea of fresh, local sources and I like the space, but the food underwhelms every time. Friends of ours who have also tried the restaurant repeatedly have had a similar experience. It's certainly not bad, but not great either.

Max Downtown, on the other hand, serves up consistently fabulous meals (not cheap but not much more than Firebox.) We dine there about every 6 weeks or so and it's always great.

Trumbull Kitchen is as good as ever for eclectic, very reasonably priced food.

Steer clear of DISH, which looks shiny and has a groovy menu but the kitchen takes way too many shortcuts (microwaved bread, frozen lobster, etc) and way too many things are "deconstructed." It's fun for drinks and snacks, but not for a serious dinner.

West Hartford center has some of the most consistently good dining in Bricco, Max's Oyster house and Grants. All three rarely miss the mark.

2 Hopewell in South Glastonbury is the newest real winner (in the old Main and Hopewell space) in the Hartford area, a clean, elegant restaurant upstairs and a bistro-like pub downstairs with the full upstairs menu plus pub fare. It's owned by the same brothers who own a small, all natural butcher shop in Glastonbury center. The food is excellent, all natural, lots of local products, and great service. There's live music downstairs on the weekends too.

• 10 months later...

For any locals or anyone who has been to the area, what are some good meals you guys have experienced? I'm not really trying to figure out where to go as far as fine dining, but anything outstanding feel free to mention. what I am looking for is some hole in the wall type places like some good ethnic places. FYI i live in simsbury, CT

Last Saturday, we went to the King and I Thai on Park St. in Hartford (near the West Hartford line). It was our second time there, and it was excellent. It fills up after about 7:00 on weekends so either go early or make a reservation.