• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Pig Pickin" signature drink

JAZ

Actually a ginger-mint simple syrup could form the basis for some de-constructed and funked up juleps.  .....

Sounds like Var-Mint Juleps to me.

Folks - I think we have a winner for the name of the Official Pig Pickin' cocktail!

Now we just have to decide what is in it besides bourbon and mint.

I'll definitely work on that mint-ginger syrup over the weekend. Just so happens there's a bit of bourbon in the bar too. (Don't look so surprised y'all :rolleyes:) I could test drive a Var-Mint Gingery Julep when all is done and see if it's worthy.

I'll report back.

:salutes:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Actually a ginger-mint simple syrup could form the basis for some de-constructed and funked up juleps.  .....

Folks - I think we have a winner for the name of the Official Pig Pickin' cocktail!

I don't think we need to limit ourselves this early, do we? Let's pursue some other ideas as well, and then we can decide before (or even at) the event which one is the "winner."

I'll definitely work on that mint-ginger syrup over the weekend. Just so happens there's a bit of bourbon in the bar too. (Don't look so surprised y'all :rolleyes:) I could test drive a Var-Mint Gingery Julep when all is done and see if it's worthy.

I'll report back.

:salutes:

When I was checking my e-mail this morning I took a peak and saw this idea. I had just made a bunch of mint syrup Wednesday night as I am overrun with mint. I measured out a cup and grated about a tablespoon worth of ginger into it and but it back in the fridge, I will play with this as well tonight after work. By the way, when my wife saw me doing this she asked what I was up to. I told her there was this guy, Varmit, who was having a pig pickin' and they needed a cocktail for it and that Katie came up with this idea and I thought I would help by playing with this a little. As she often does, she looked at me as if I was insane. Luckily for me she does indeed love me.

Boy oh boy sure wish I could be there.

Cool. Instead of a single "official" drink, we could have an assortment to sample. Based on last go-around, there should be no shortage of lushes in attendance! :wink: Just remember, I'll need some help watching the pit Saturday night and Sunday morning!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Cool.  Instead of a single "official" drink, we could have an assortment to sample.  Based on last go-around, there should be no shortage of lushes in attendance!  :wink:  Just remember, I'll need some help watching the pit Saturday night and Sunday morning!!!

You can count me in as the "designated watcher"

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

How about a Manhattan style drink...

2 parts Bourbon, 1 part Punt e Mes, 2 parts freshly brewed strong iced tea, a brandied cherry with a splash of it's juice and a few sprigs of mint. Serve it up or on the rocks. If you don't like calling it a Manhattan, call it Pigs Blood or something!

Cheers and enjoy!

Cool.  Instead of a single "official" drink, we could have an assortment to sample.  Based on last go-around, there should be no shortage of lushes in attendance!  :wink: 

I volunteer for the hardship duty of tasting all the beverages. It will be tough, but I really think I've got what it takes.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

There are a lot of great ideas here. It might interesting to expand our sights a bit beyond the traditional and first-to-mind flavors.

One thing that occurs to me is that bourbon, while a worthy candidate as a base spirit, isn't necessarily the only one with a claim. Certainly people in North Carolina drink bourbon -- Dean being an obvious example. But bourbon and mint juleps are more closely associated with Kentucky, and to my mind, with the old South, than to NC. Nothing wrong with that, of course. But an historical case could be made for rum as well, and given the deep English/Irish roots in the region, London dry gin, Irish whiskey and scotch. In fact, if you roll the idea of smoke around in your mind, scotch and rye seem perfectly appropriate.

North Carolina agriculture also provides some food for thought. It produces great peaches (hard for a Georgian to admit, but true), pecans, peanuts, tomatoes and watermelon, all of which might be worth exploring in the context of a cocktail.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

And, as mentioned above, moonshine. It was the moonshine runners from North Carolina who brought about NASCAR. Moonshiners are frequent visitors on the Andy Griffith Show.

Scuppernong grapes will also be in season in September.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

And of course, tobacco, just in case you're looking for a real cocktail challenge.

Nothing like a good "spit julep"!

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

There are a lot of great ideas here. It might interesting to expand our sights a bit beyond the traditional and first-to-mind flavors.

One thing that occurs to me is that bourbon, while a worthy candidate as a base spirit, isn't necessarily the only one with a claim. Certainly people in North Carolina drink bourbon -- Dean being an obvious example. But bourbon and mint juleps are more closely associated with Kentucky, and to my mind, with the old South, than to NC. Nothing wrong with that, of course. But an historical case could be made for rum as well, and given the deep English/Irish roots in the region, London dry gin, Irish whiskey and scotch. In fact, if you roll the idea of smoke around in your mind, scotch and rye seem perfectly appropriate.

North Carolina agriculture also provides some food for thought. It produces great peaches (hard for a Georgian to admit, but true), pecans, peanuts, tomatoes and watermelon, all of which might be worth exploring in the context of a cocktail.

Bourbon, peach schnapps and Ginger ale. Yup - that'll work. And it's easy.

Might be best to use some really "hot" bourbon like so the peach schnapps doesn't make a too sweet end result. Or perhaps add a splash of peach nectar to the mix. Or both.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Bourbon, peach schnapps and Ginger ale.  Yup - that'll work.  And it's easy.

Might be best to use some really "hot" bourbon like so the peach schnapps doesn't make a too sweet end result.  Or perhaps add a splash of peach nectar to the mix.  Or both.

Either a"gutsy" gingerale like Vernors, or maybe a Jamaican ginger beer, if available? Maybe Squirt, if they still make it. I remember it being tart and grapefruity.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Bourbon, peach schnapps and Ginger ale.  Yup - that'll work.  And it's easy.

Might be best to use some really "hot" bourbon like so the peach schnapps doesn't make a too sweet end result.  Or perhaps add a splash of peach nectar to the mix.  Or both.

Either a"gutsy" gingerale like Vernors, or maybe a Jamaican ginger beer, if available? Maybe Squirt, if they still make it. I remember it being tart and grapefruity.

Blenheim's Red Cap would be the ginger ale of choice. It's beyond gutsy. It made Fat Guy turn blue before coughing for 3 minutes when he first tried it. Sissy New Yorkers.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

And, as mentioned above, moonshine.  It was the moonshine runners from North Carolina who brought about NASCAR.  Moonshiners are frequent visitors on the Andy Griffith Show.

Dean, you can certainly get all the faux-moonshine you need, right there in Raleigh, NC. Wake Country ABC stores carry "Georgia Moon," which is tax-paid white liquor sold in Mason jars (brewed by the good folks at Heaven Hill Distilleries.)

If you don't mind a little South Carolina influence, a bourbon-and-ginger made with Blenheim's#3 Hot Ginger Ale will indeed clear your sinuses as well as your palate.

enrevanche <http://enrevanche.blogspot.com>

Greenwich Village, NYC

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.

- Mark Twain

I keep thinking that Pig's Nose brand of Scotch should some how be involved just for the name alone.

Barring that there has got to be some thing that can be done w/ pickled pigs' feet & the pickling juice--like two shots of 'shine, a splash of pigs' feet brine, and fill w/ bloody mary mix. Garnish w/ a Vienna sausage. It would be awfully salty but no more than a bloody bull. You could even call it a bloody pig.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

Ick. :wink: I'd really like to have a drink that I can sit back and enjoy, not something that would challenge me so much. Hell, I love sweet drinks. I love fruity drinks. But I don't like drinks with meat or pickle juice or barbecue sauce in them!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I immediately thought of an Arnold Palmer (1/2 black iced tea, 1/2 lemonade) with a kick (add a splash of bourbon, although I'd probably prefer rum). This would make a good punch. Float some lemon slices and/or mint sprigs in it. Varmint -- want me to bring my punch bowl? I've been looking for an excuse to use it. (It's been sitting on a shelf in the garage ever since we moved here in 2001!)

Sure, bring the punch bowl.  We'll find a way to use it somehow!!

I love Arnold Palmers, particularly with some bourbon as you suggested.  :wink:

This sounds like a dangerously good opiate for the masses. :laugh:

This would make a great punch. But I still volunteer to play bartendress and mix up some other fine libations if folks are interested. Up here in PA we have "Beer distributors" where one procures cases of brew, kegs and cases of sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages. Is there any such animal down there? Or a Costco or other such warehouse? I'd like to put in a request for the wicked strong Blenheim's Ginger beer (I can hardly wait to try this stuff!) and some 2 liter bottles of Bitter Lemon soda for mixers at the bar.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Katie, we're looking forward to your repeat performance, but there may be others who want to show off their cocktail skills. Hell, I need at least 3 bartenders to keep me happy! We'll certainly have over a dozen cooks, so a few bartenders should work well!

Blenheim's is easy.

We don't have the lovely distributors, unfortunately, but we can buy beer and wine in grocery stores. I'm hoping to have the beer donated by a local wholesaler, but we're waiting on that.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites