• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Pig Pickin" signature drink

JAZ

Depending on whether you're wandered over to the Southeast forum lately, you may or may not know that Varmint's Second Occasional Pig Pickin is coming up over Labor Day weekend (click here for details). Since we already have an official t-shirt, I think it's time to start working on a "Pig Pickin" signature drink.

Varmint's request is that it be bourbon based, and since he's hosting it, I guess we might want to humor him. Ideally, it would go well with barbecue. And it would be great to have something that can go from afternoon to evening -- maybe something versatile enough to work as either a tall drink (with ginger ale or soda added), or as a cocktail. Maybe a punch. Of course, if we ended up with a couple of new drinks, that would work, too.

I started experimenting with Wild Turkey, ginger syrup and peach puree, but haven't been particularly successful yet. Any other ideas?

I used up the last of my rye making what amounted to Old Fashioneds, with peach instead of Angostura bitters. I imagine it would work well with bourbon as well, though it might be too sweet.

Well, iced tea is a natural for barbecue. The tannin cleans the fat and smokiness from the palate. I would suggest starting with a tea-infused light bourbon and go from there. This could easily be used at full strength in "up" cocktails, but also mixed with ginger beer or something like that in a highball, or shaken with some egg white, lemon and simple syrup for a fizz. Mint could fit in there somewhere, too.

--

Well, one of my favorites is know as a "Lighten Up"

2 oz. quality moonshine

1 oz. fresh lime juice

Pour over ice in a tall glass and top off with soda. Stir and serve with a lime garnish.

This is regularly served in some of the finest trailer parks. It should be plenty good enough to serve at the home of a guy named Varmint.

Just for the record, this is a real drink. Not one of my usual jokes.

There is also the "Pineshinepagne" which is pineapple juice, moonshine, and soda. It's really kind of a brunch drink though. Probably wouldn't match the pork thing very well. :wink:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I think it should have pig, or at least bacon fat in it. After all if you can have bacon ice cream, then why not bacon in a cocktail? Get those smoky notes...

That sort of implies a cream base, with the fat emulsified in. Bit like an adapted Bourbon Alexander. Bourbon, sugar, maybe maple syrup, lime, crumbled bacon or porky scratchings on top...or hot buttered Bourbon but with bacon fat instead of butter...or a bourbon float with bacon icecream....

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Of course, if we can get a kudzu distillate . . .

or honeysuckle nectar...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

There is also the "Pineshinepagne" which is pineapple juice, moonshine, and soda. It's really kind of a brunch drink though. Probably wouldn't match the pork thing very well.  :wink:

Good grief, why not? I LOVE pork & pineapple together. :rolleyes:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Micheladas might be nice with bbq...

Fill a tall glass with ice and salt the rim. Add a nice portion of lime jice and fill with beer. It's refreshing and easy to drink over the long haul on a hot day.

I can't remember the Southern moniker for beer and tomato juice but this is also a surprisingly refreshing combination. Could potentially jazz it up with some lime juice and serve over ice as well. Maybe this combination would be a "new" drink that could earn a new name?

Both drinks work best with standard American non-dark beers-- i.e. "macrobrews" or lighter Mexican beers.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

<sniff> How quickly they forget...

How 'bout them Slippery Slopes I mixed up last time? Bourbon, ginger beer (more like ginger juice) and bitter lemon soda.

It might be made easier by doing a ginger simple syrup.

Actually a ginger-mint simple syrup could form the basis for some de-constructed and funked up juleps. Ginger-Mint syrup, bourbon and bitter lemon if you like tart, or Sprite if you like sweet.

There's a ton of possibilities.

And I need to start some limoncello going too, don't I?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

There's a LOT that was forgotten that night! I also made a tea-infused rum shooter, IIRC. But we all remember the limoncello, the dark & stormies, and you, dear Katie!!

084.gif

OK - I feel better now. :smile:

I'll see if I have time to experiment with this ginger-mint syrup idea. I think I have a bit of both in the house and a bit of time. I'll let you know what comes of that.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

How 'bout them Slippery Slopes I mixed up last time?  Bourbon, ginger beer (more like ginger juice) and bitter lemon soda.

It might be made easier by doing a ginger simple syrup.

Actually a ginger-mint simple syrup could form the basis for some de-constructed and funked up juleps.  Ginger-Mint syrup, bourbon and bitter lemon if you like tart, or Sprite if you like sweet.

There's a ton of possibilities.

And I need to start some limoncello going too, don't I?

The Slippery Slopes sound very good as do your new ideas...

< cue "Dueling Banjos" >

Brainstorming here... Dueling Banjuice?

Not sure what you'd put in it, but it should be garnished with a piece of cracklin.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I am plum out of shine, however.  Time to get the still back in action, as long as I can keep that revenooer man away.

I might know a guy who has a friend who might know somebody who knows somebody.

You know?

I will axe him about a bit of the corn (or muscadine-sometimes it's one, sometimes it's the other.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I can't remember the Southern moniker for beer and tomato juice but this is also a surprisingly refreshing combination.  Could potentially jazz it up with some lime juice and serve over ice as well.  Maybe this combination would be a "new" drink that could earn a new name?

Both drinks work best with standard American non-dark beers-- i.e. "macrobrews" or lighter Mexican beers.

That combo usually goes by the handle of "New Orleans Breakfast" :rolleyes: Me, I prefer a Bloody Shame (virgin Bloody Mary) for the first two or three. Then watchout, world... :raz:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I can't remember the Southern moniker for beer and tomato juice but this is also a surprisingly refreshing combination.  Could potentially jazz it up with some lime juice and serve over ice as well.  Maybe this combination would be a "new" drink that could earn a new name?

That combo usually goes by the handle of "New Orleans Breakfast" :rolleyes: Me, I prefer a Bloody Shame (virgin Bloody Mary) for the first two or three. Then watchout, world... :raz:

Thanks, somehow seeing your post it reminded me of what I've heard it called in North Carolina: a Red Eye. We didn't drink it for hangovers but I've heard of that application; "New Orleans Breakfast is a good name.

Thanks, somehow seeing your post it reminded me of what I've heard it called in North Carolina: a Red Eye. We didn't drink it for hangovers but I've heard of that application; "New Orleans Breakfast is a good name.

The other names I have heard for this are Red Rooster and Kansas City Mary.

This wouldn't make a good primary drink, but for an alternate option -

Shot of vodka

Couple dashes of cayenne/vinegar hot sauce

dash of liquid smoke

dash of vinegar

itty bit of mustard swirled in

Call it the liquid BBQ, would make a tasty shot/shooter.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

This wouldn't make a good primary drink, but for an alternate option -

Shot of vodka

Couple dashes of cayenne/vinegar hot sauce

dash of liquid smoke

dash of vinegar

itty bit of mustard swirled in

Call it the liquid BBQ, would make a tasty shot/shooter.

:blink:

Egads! How 'bout calling that the Reflux Inducer? Make sure there are shots of Maalox available too!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Actually a ginger-mint simple syrup could form the basis for some de-constructed and funked up juleps.  .....

Sounds like Var-Mint Juleps to me.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx