• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fast Food Fusion

Chris Amirault

Got my iced coffee at the Dunkin Donuts drive-through this morning and saw this: "New Chicken Fajita Paninis!"

:blink:

Let's hear your examples of the fast food industry's attempt to ride the fusion toboggan. Extra points for multi-lingual names (can anyone match or beat the three languages in my example?) and bizarre combinations that only a corporate consultant could dream up. Reviews of products are also strongly encouraged.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

For a while Taco Bell has the Chicken Club Burrito (OK, only two languages there). It was (I think) chicken, bacon, tomato, lettuce, onion, and sour cream or mayo wrapped up in a burrito tortilla. It was also really, really good.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I don't think I'll be able to top the first example (wow!) but I think Hawaiian pizza (with ham and pineapple) has to be a pretty good early one. Only two languages but quite a geographic and culinary stretch.

I'm thinking there may be some good entries from Japan.

Jack in the Box has had Chicken Fajita Pita on its menu for at least 15 years!

We have a winner!

What the hell is this, anyway? Have you had one, SuzySushi?

Haven't had one for a long time, but as I remember it's chicken, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and dressing packed into a pita bread. Pretty tasty, too.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

For a while Taco Bell has the Chicken Club Burrito (OK, only two languages there).  It was (I think) chicken, bacon, tomato, lettuce, onion, and sour cream or mayo wrapped up in a burrito tortilla.  It was also really, really good.

You mean the chicken club chalupa? :raz:

In terms of true fast food fusion, one country's McDonalds (Taiwan?) had minced shrimp burgers on rice patty buns. :wacko:

Singapore has a Tempura Chicken burger.

The Middle East has a McArabia http://www.mcdonaldsarabia.com/english/images2/nut_pic09.jpg

I still think fast food fusion beats out the obligatory 'Asian Chicken Salad' any day of the week.

Edited by PurpleDingo99 (log)

Another not-quite-fast-food entry: Buffalo Chicken Wontons at Ruby Tuesday's. The name doesn't reflect it, but they also have an Italian aspect: mozzarella cheese.

india has lots of fused fast food:

chhole pizza (chana masala pizza) - not in any chain but

street food

the indian mc D has lots of desi food including TONS of vegetarian

items!! i wish stateside would follow their e.g. their menu link:

http://www.mcdonaldsindia.com/ourfood/veg/index.html

the non veg items are in a link over to the left.

but fusion: paneer salsa wrap, mcaloo tikki (=mc potato patty);

chinese food, etc etc. all in mcD's - way to go!

i normally loathe mc D, esp the ghastly US fare but i do hand

it to the indian versions for inventiveness.

i have not eaten there yet, but will do so one day.

i tried the indian KFC: they too had a lot of vegetarian fare.

BUT they had a really stupid item: KFC chicken curry:

they had a little plastic cup of "curry" sauce on the side

that was down right yukky: bland and bad tasting at the same time.

any small street stall would have beaten them hands down

so it;s only for the sake of being global and exotic that locals wuld

eat there i guess.....

milagai