• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sweet Potatoes: the Topic

Varmint

We like them baked and topped with a compound butter of lime (rind and juice), chilli, fresh coriander/cilantro and coarse salt.

I have never eaten candied or marshmallow-topped sweet potatoes, but I will someday - sounds too good not to try at least once, although I image it's pretty sweet and rich.

Wow - I have a bunch of leftover baked sweet potatos in fridge I was going to turn into a puree. I am definitely going to try the lime, butter and seasonings - that sound really good.

I grew up in a household of candied sweet potatoes - in fact, my mom is cooking tomorrow for Thanksgiving so I am sure they will be on they menu. While I am sure there are variations that are good if you like sweeter things, my mom uses canned sweet potatoes and then,in addition to the marshmallow topping, adds so much sugar to the already sweet potatoes that I thought sweet potatoes were gross when I was a kid. Unfortunately, she is so proud of them, my entire family to this day eats them and tells her how good they are :laugh: .

I love anything you can do to or with a sweet potato -- unless it involves marshmallows, pineapple or orange juice. My Thanksgiving SPs will have a brown sugar/pecan topping, as that's what the kids want. Me, I'm just as happy with a plain one baked, with butter. But mixing in some bacon lardons....now THAT has me thinking!

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Just made and ate them. I made the american variety (the orange yam). My favorite method is wash, poke a few holes and roast whole in the oven. Split open, drizzle bit of honey or maple syrup and dig in. No oil, butter or anything else. Today, I skipped the sweet additives because I'm having pie later but it was still awesome.

I would also recommend looking for other varieties of sweet potatoes as well. I buy a decent amount of korean sweet potatos, white yellowish meat, very sweet and a bit more firm when cooked. Really delicious. Favortie way for these are tempuraed but also love them roasted (actually roast well in our fire place).

Soup

• 2 weeks later...

Toots like yams and sweet potatoes, especially roasted. I'd like to get a few new ideas to make her happy ... suggestions on what to do with these root vegetables greatly appreciated.

To start off, here's my friend Meg's take on Yams with Lavender Butter

Meg’s Yams with Lavender Butter

6 8 medium size yams the dark red type

1 tblspoon lavender buds

1 tblspoon sugar

2 3 dash cinnamon

1 cup raw pecans

1 stick butter

1. Baked Yams

Wash and with a knife or fork prick holes in yams.

In a shallow covered baking dish, bake yams in 375 degree oven till soft to the touch in my oven that's around 35 40 minutes.

Let cool and remove skins keep warm.

2. Lavender infused butter

In small pan on low heat melt the butter when melted turn off heat and stir in the lavender. Cover and set where it will stay liquid but no longer cooks.

3. Candied Pecans

Rough chop the pecans.

On a medium to low heat Dry Toast the pecans till crispy (Dry Toast is without oil) Remember to constantly stir the pecans or shake the pan so the pecans don't burn.

Turn off the heat and add sugar and cinnamon stir well and set to the side.

4. Use a fine meshed sieve to strain the lavender infused butter into a bowl.

5. Add, per your taste, the butter to the yams and mash very smooth.

6. Gently fold in the pecans.

7. You are done!!

May be made the night before and warmed in the microwave.

Left over butter can be refrigerated and used on toast or ...

Have fun!

... Shel

I really enjoy my sweet potatos with sauteed apples and onions,and it really is very simple.

Bake your sweet potatos to the done/mushy stage, while they're in the oven, sweat some peelied apple chunks and onions in a great deal of butter. Add salt, pepper and sugar.

Scoop the potatos out of their jackets into the fry pan, mix in and eat.

---------------------------------------

I would also recommend looking for other varieties of sweet potatoes as well. I buy a decent amount of korean sweet potatos, white yellowish meat, very sweet and a bit more firm when cooked. Really delicious. Favortie way for these are tempuraed but also love them roasted (actually roast well in our fire place).

Soup

We were in New Jersey last summer, and stopped at a roadside stand and got some white sweet potatoes. I had never had white sweet potatoes before, so thought I had to try them. They were wonderful. I've looked for them since in every market I've been in, both in Missouri, and now in Texas, and haven't seen them.

I can't help but wonder why something that seems so easy to ship is so regional. Anyone know? And does anyone know where I might be able to order some?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

White sweet potatoes are available in most supermarkets here but they seem to be seasonal.

In the Mexican supermarkets I can find them more often and they sometimes have other interesting varieties, purple, oro (gold) with tan skin and yellow flesh, skinny ones with red skin and white flesh, one with pink skin and deep orange flesh.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I bought a bag full of sweet potatoes so I can make sweet potato butter and can it.

I use this recipe and am going to double it.

Sweet potato butter

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Use sweet potatoes anywhere canned pumpkins are used, adjustments are needed though.

Sweet potato pie for christmas and thanksgiving.

sweet potato muffins

-Michael

Those muffins look awesome. I have some sweet potato puree leftover from last night's dinner. All I need to do is get some buttermilk to have all the ingredients.

I'll still have some puree and was thinking of making a sweet potato risotto.

White sweet potatoes are available in most supermarkets here but they seem to be seasonal.

In the Mexican supermarkets I can find them more often and they sometimes have other interesting varieties, purple, oro (gold) with tan skin and yellow flesh, skinny ones with red skin and white flesh, one with pink skin and deep orange flesh.

Andie - have you tried the white ones? Do you know where they're from? The New Jersey ones were a first for me, but boy were they good. I guess that's why they call it the Garden State, eh?

I've even asked at the produce departments here in Texas, but no luck.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I grew up with them made cloyingly sweet as mentioned. Never really liked it especially with marshmallows. Yuck.

I have started making them dauphinoise style, but with coconut milk, little habanero and allspice for a caribbean kick.

I use the white ones all the time. They are not as sweet as the yellow and orange varieties and are less fibrous so don't have to be cooked as long.

I use both types sliced in a sort of scalloped potato casserole with already cooked bacon and crumbled ricotta salata cheese. I use that cheese because it does not melt and doesn't become grainy.

I steam the potato slices before assembling the casserole - only about five minutes, which is enough to get them started cooking - otherwise they were not all fully cooked.

It's very pretty with the alternating colors.

Andie - have you tried the white ones? Do you know where they're from? The New Jersey ones were a first for me, but boy were they good. I guess that's why they call it the Garden State, eh?

eta--satsumaimo flesh isn't really white, but is more yellowish. It's just whiter than the orange sweet potato.

Have you tried your local Asian supermarkets? It might be different, but when I think of "white sweet potatoes" I think of satsumaimo (purple-ish skin, white flesh). Even if they're not the same, it might be worth a try to get the Asian ones. They might suit your needs or cravings until you can find the ones you're looking for.

Edited by prasantrin (log)

Be careful how you handle this issue with children. My mother did not approve of sweet potatoes and marshmallows. We never had them. So when I grew up and encountered the Thanksgiving traditions of others, well, hell, I'm sorry, what a lark. I happen to love roasted marshmallows and not that this is my favorite way to eat sweet potatoes or that I would even buy the marshmallows and make them myself, but if you offer them to me, I will have seconds.

There is a very nice recipe in Mollie Katzen's Moosewood Cookbook for something she calls Gypsy Soup. This has sweet potatoes, green beans, tomatoes, chickpeas and a bunch of spices including tumeric, paprika, cayenne, cinnamon, and tamari. I really like this soup.

We the people who own parrots know that the way to get a fussy bird to eat is to give him sweet potatoes. I don't think there's a bird alive who can resist them.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

eta--satsumaimo flesh isn't really white, but is more yellowish. It's just whiter than the orange sweet potato.

Have you tried your local Asian supermarkets? It might be different, but when I think of "white sweet potatoes" I think of satsumaimo (purple-ish skin, white flesh). Even if they're not the same, it might be worth a try to get the Asian ones. They might suit your needs or cravings until you can find the ones you're looking for.

I have not tried the Asian supermarkets, but Houston has an enormous Asian population, and many large Asian supermarkets, including 99 Ranch among others. I do buy produce from them from time to time but, for some reason, hadn't thought about looking for those white sweet potatoes there. I guess because I keep thinking about them being a New Jersey thing.

And Andie, I don't think the ones we had are the same variety you're getting. You said that the white sweet potatoes you buy are not as sweet as the orange. We were camping down in Cape May, and bought those white sweet potatoes from a roadside stand several times. We all agreed that we thought they were considerably sweeter than the orange and yellow varieties that we had had in the past.

Maybe I should post my query in the New Jersey forum.

I have not tried the Asian supermarkets, but Houston has an enormous Asian population, and many large Asian supermarkets, including 99 Ranch among others. I do buy produce from them from time to time but, for some reason, hadn't thought about looking for those white sweet potatoes there. I guess because I keep thinking about them being a New Jersey thing.

And Andie, I don't think the ones we had are the same variety you're getting. You said that the white sweet potatoes you buy are not as sweet as the orange. We were camping down in Cape May, and bought those white sweet potatoes from a roadside stand several times. We all agreed that we thought they were considerably sweeter than the orange and yellow varieties that we had had in the past.

Maybe I should post my query in the New Jersey forum.

I live in northwestern New Jersey and have never seen them in our farmers market. It's funny you brought this up - I just bought a 5-lb bag in the supermarket and there was one white one mixed in with all of the oranges ones. I had always heard that white ones had a better flavor but was in such a hurry to finish the puree I was making I didn't take the time to compare the flavor of the two. Now I wish I had.

I live in northwestern New Jersey and have never seen them in our farmers market. It's funny you brought this up - I just bought a 5-lb bag in the supermarket and there was one white one mixed in with all of the oranges ones. I had always heard that white ones had a better flavor but was in such a hurry to finish the puree I was making I didn't take the time to compare the flavor of the two. Now I wish I had.

Not gonna pretend that I don't find this discouraging. I was hopeful that they were a fairly standard produce item in NJ. Now I suspect it may have been just one farmer with just one stand and maybe he just got lucky in a produce sorta way just that one summer.

I would doubt my own memory, but there were several of us, and we stayed several weeks, and we went back there and bought those potatoes several times and we all agreed they were among the best sweet potatoes we had ever tasted.

Ah well, life moves on.

Be careful how you handle this issue with children. My mother did not approve of sweet potatoes and marshmallows. We never had them. So when I grew up and encountered the Thanksgiving traditions of others, well, hell, I'm sorry, what a lark. I happen to love roasted marshmallows and not that this is my favorite way to eat sweet potatoes or that I would even buy the marshmallows and make them myself, but if you offer them to me, I will have seconds.

You know, several people have talked about that traditional sweet potato dish redolent with spices (some or all - white pepper, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, allspice), several pats of butter, a hint of fruit (pineapple, orange, lemon), a splash of bourbon, something sweet (brown sugar, molasses, sorghum, maple syrup), and topped with marshmallows and baked until they are brown and crunchy.

Many here say it's "too cloyingly sweet."

I can't help but wonder...

Y'all do know that you add sugar or other sweeteners to your taste, don't you? My mom didn't think sweets were good for us, so she added just a small sprinkle of brown sugar, and usually not even that.

Sure, they were sweeter than the mashed potatoes or the cornbread dressing.

But "cloying" they were certainly not.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

Since there was a moratorium on sweet stuff, I refrained from discussing a holiday favorite, a dish of sweet potatoes whipped with rum, tons of ginger and cardamom, and crushed pineapple,then topped with a mixture of pecans, coconut, and yeah...a sprinkling of brown sugar. Like, half a cup for 4 pounds of potatoes. And yeah, it's excellent. I serve it with ham, usually.

I think a lot of people are just scarred from the syrupy canned dealies, loaded with sugar and blanketed under marshmallows. Since I wasn't raised around sweet potatoes at ALL, if this shows up on a table, I eat some. It's not my favorite thing, but it's definitely different, and I like the sweet-sweet flavor...just sometimes.

Had white sweet potatoes for lunch in my somewhat strange luncheon dish. Sweet potatoes and Brussels Sprouts. Ed eats them with a bottled Patak curry on them to hide the taste and I eat them with a lemon/olive oil dressing with sesame seeds because I like them that way.

Ed bought the white potatoes by accident at a local supermarket last week. They did have purple skins. We found them less what? less full of taste I guess you could say. Blander. But very nice.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Since there was a moratorium on sweet stuff, I refrained from discussing a holiday favorite, a dish of sweet potatoes whipped with rum, tons of ginger and cardamom, and crushed pineapple,then topped with a mixture of pecans, coconut, and yeah...a sprinkling of brown sugar. Like, half a cup for 4 pounds of potatoes. And yeah, it's excellent. I serve it with ham, usually.

Well, I'm certainly glad you came to your senses and posted this. I've never tried adding cardamom and coconut, and I'll bet the rum is terrific. I've had several sweet potato dishes in the Caribbean that include rum, but never thought of it with the traditional sweet potato holiday casserole.

So, thanks!

Welcome! Besides the ingredients I graced over, I usually use a bit of coconut milk, and a few eggs whipped in to give it a very light custardy sort of appeal. No sugar in the body of it, just the topping. It's not sweet, really, I season the potatoes with a little salt and black pepper, and if I'm making it for my crew, some sort of heat, like cayenne or chili flakes goes in.

I think all of us can get along here, sweet sweet potato lovers, unsweetened sweet potato lovers, and those of us that walk the middle ground :wub::raz: