• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jamaican Rundown Sauce

• 1 month later...
Can anyone point me to a recipe for the above? I believe coconut milk, lime and chillies are involved.....?

A search of recipe gullet and google yielded nothing

Would be very grateful for any assistance

Only thing I could find: http://www.gainesvilletoday.com/2005/02/di...gainesville.asp

You might want to try subbing coconut milk for the cream.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

• 3 weeks later...

Rundown isn't really made from a specific recipe. As I understand it, rundown is like the thing your mom made on Thursday night when she was cleaning out the fridge. Little bit of this leftover, half that onion doesn't seem to be rotten, here's some saltfish. Few leaves of calalloo from last night. Add some oil, some scotch bonnet peppers (maybe pickled ones), a touch of that weird pink/orange chicken seasoning, allspice, of course, some ginger, garlic if you have some.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

• 3 months later...
Rundown isn't really made from a specific recipe.  As I understand it, rundown is like the thing your mom made on Thursday night when she was cleaning out the fridge.  Little bit of this leftover, half that onion doesn't seem to be rotten, here's some saltfish.  Few leaves of calalloo from last night.  Add some oil, some scotch bonnet peppers (maybe pickled ones), a touch of that weird pink/orange chicken seasoning, allspice, of course, some ginger, garlic if you have some.

No I don't think as a Jamaican I've ever come across that as a rundown sauce...

you can either do saltfish or mackerel Rundown the following way:

Boil the salt mackerel for a minute or two to remove excess salt . If using salted cod soak over night

Remove bones and shred. Wash with lime juice and water. Squeeze out excess water

Fry the following seasonings together till softened: onions , tomatoes ,scotch bonnet, thyme, escallions and minced garlic. Stir in your mackerel or saltfish , add enough coconut milk to almost cover and bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer till sauce looks somewhat curdled and thickened. Serve with boiled green bananas.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

my wife is jamaican and the sauce described above (most commonly used with the saltfish or bacalao as it is called elsewhere) is exactly as i've always had it - though sometimes she makes it without the coconut milk.

Edited by drunkenmonkey (log)

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy." -W.C. Fields