• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Fine Dining Restaurants 35 mi. Hackensack

dodge621

See, the problem with the written word is that sarcasm doesn't translate very well unless it's amplified to ridiculous levels.  Throw one of those little wink-eyed smilies in to warn those of us who don't yet realize that all of your posts are intended to be fabulously entertaining one-liners!  :wink: (See?!  See how EASY it is?!)

Seriously though, I always thought the HHK Inn was for old people, but I've been noticing younger crowds there recently.  Actually, now that I'm thinking of it, I know a guy who cooked there not too long ago.  He also used to cook for Ruga (sp. ?) up in Oakland.  I may give him a call and dubious second-to-third-hand info may follow later...

there's a good chance that you'll get to know me and you'll realize that most of my posts, when they sound serious, aren't, and have an implied smiley of some sort.

dubious second-to-third-hand info is a funny quote, and certainly welcome here.

there's a good chance that you'll get to know me and you'll realize that most of my posts, when they sound serious, aren't, and have an implied smiley of some sort. 

I hear ya. I was just expressing my frequent frustration with the inherent problems of communication via the written word as exchanged between complete strangers over a network of computers.

I wasn't going all "sufficiently disgusting version of huevos rancheros" on your ass or anything... :wink:

Did I read your question right? Best fine dining 35 miles from Hackensack. Take Route 80 east to GW bridge. Exit to Route 9 (Henry Hudson Parkway) and take this to 23rd street exit. (or 34th, or, for that mater practically any exit). You are now in mid-town NYC. Look in Zagat's or NYT Restaurant guide for top listings.

Not trying to be a wiseass. I guess I don't understand your question. :biggrin:

Oh, maybe you meant minutes not miles. In that case, take Route 80 east to GW bridge....

• 2 weeks later...

Suggestions:

If your willing to take a little drive, head out to Madison, NJ (about 25 miles west of hackensack). Main streets runs right through downtown. As your going south on main, there is an Italian restaurant called "IL MONDO VECCHIO" (72 Main st.) on the left.

Look carefully or else you'll miss it. It looks like a store front filled w/ a bunch of white tablecloth. The food there is brilliant. Absolutely fabulous fresh pasta dishes. Very quaint, never noisy or very crowded. They sometimes serve a special of porchini stuffed raviolis w/ a porchini cream which is very good. But I haven't had a dish I didn't rave about.

Don't have dessert there. Instead walk up the street to "CAFE AMALFI" (20 Waverly st.). Walk out of IL MONDO, take a right (main st.), your first left onto Waverly st. It's in the old bank on the left hand side near the big clock.

They make great Gelato in a huge variety of flavors (pistacio and choc. hazenut are two of my favorites) They also have a good selection of coffees, espressos and capp's which I don't drink. Good lunches there also.

Enjoy

Madison is a fun little town away from the city, sometimes theres also a good band playing at the main street bistro too.

Very quaint, never noisy or very crowded.

I agree that the food is quite good but never noisy or very crowded? I admit I have only been there on the weekends but it has always been very CROWDED. Tables are right on top of each other. One time when we sat on the left side of the restaurant they actually put the wine bucket on the floor because there was no room for a stand. :sad:

I prefer Scalini Fedeli, which is 10 minutes down the road in Chatham, over Il Mondo.

Scalini Fedeli is bring your own,like Il Mondo, and is price fixed I think around 50 dollars (an extra supplement for some items). The 50 price tag may be a little expensive but is well worth it and you will not be hungry after you leave. Includes fabulous bread assortment, pre-dinner app, app, entree, sorbet after dinner before dessert, tray of various cookies, chocolate covered strawberries, dessert and coffee. At least 15 choices for apps and entrees, smaller selection for the desserts including a cheese selection or chocolate soufflé, all are excellent.

It's one of our favorites but reservations are tough to come by. We usually make them wayyyyyyyyyy in advance, especially for a coveted weekend spot. It’s one of the gems in NJ.

"Who made you the reigning deity on what is an interesting thread and what is not? " - TheBoatMan

yeah, come to think of it. I don't recall ever being in there at primetime during the weekend. I always gone fairly early on fridays, and they were always pretty empty, but began filling up as the night went on.

Don't have dessert there.  Instead walk up the street to "CAFE AMALFI" (20 Waverly Place.). 

Enjoy

Madison is a fun little town away from the city, sometimes theres also a good band playing at the main street bistro too.

Thanks for the info on Cafe Amalfi, that sounds interesting.

Shangahi Jazz (24 Main Street) also runs a regular live jazz session on Thursday evenings. Nice place to come by for a drink and snacks.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I have been to IL MONDO VECCHIO more times than I have fingers and toes and it is consistantly good. BYO. I prefer to dine there during the week when it is not so noisy and busy. Scalini Fedeli in Chatham which is also owned by Michael Cetrulo is also excellent.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE