• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Fine Dining Restaurants 35 mi. Hackensack

dodge621

Best? a subjective question, by far!

My short list would include High Lawn Pavilion in West Orange (food, view, service). Although the location features prominently in my recollections of the terrorist attacks, it also has some very happy associations as well.

If you wanted to expand your distance, I'd include Tre Vigne in Basking Ridge. Although Ryland Inn has fabulous food and incredible service, it is off my value / price meter. Also looking forward to trying the reopened Rat's...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Thanks for the responses. I am looking further inte Esty Street and America as I am not a fan of French.  I enjoyed the food at Cafe Matisse in the past but the service was incredibly slow and detracted from my experience.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to America tonight. Found the food excellent. Service not up to par of the food. Had an excellent gazpacho (made with yellow tomatoes and topped with crabmeat). Also had the tuna very nice. Everyone enjoyed their meal the others had crab cakes, barbequed chicken and sea bass.

Went to America tonight. Found the food excellent.  Service  not up to par of the food.  Had an excellent gazpacho (made with yellow tomatoes and topped with crabmeat).  Also had the tuna very nice. Everyone enjoyed their meal the others had crab cakes, barbequed chicken and sea bass.

What was it about the service? I dont think we've had a bad experience there.

But yes, the food is fantastic.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Ruga up 208 in oakland is very good, i have been there a couple of times, busy night and a slow night. Every thing was good both nights, had a duck and foie gras dish the second night, outsanding.

Esty Street is also good, it has been a while since i have been there though

I have heard good things about Dinallo's in River Edge, but have not eaten there yet. It is just off Route 4 where boodle's used to be.

Capri Mia is a pretty good Italian in Hackensack by the Target; they are undergoing renovations, so call to make sure they are open.

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

• 3 weeks later...

Trap Rock's an interesting case, with a separate brewpub /bar menu, and a very pleasant main room with its own well chosen menu and wine list.

Haven't been there in a year, so I don't feel competent to speak of it in the present tense, but would definitely go back for dinner. Huge glass wall facing west, with afternoon light streaming in, view of a woods behind the place.

I think the same people own Huntley's in Summit.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

There are a bunch of restaurants in Ridgewood to choose from. It is only 10 miles from Hackensack. Most establishments are BYO.

Zarole, corner of Broad St/East Ridgewood Avenue

Village Green Cafe Prospect Street

Marra's Broad Street

Marcello's 8Wilsey Square

28 Oak Street (You guessed Oak Street)

There are a number of others on or in the area of East Ridgewood Avenue

The Man, The Myth

TapItorScrapIt.com

i don't want to come off as argumentative, but none of the places in ridgewood qualify as "fine dining" in my eyes.

I'd just like to second Tommy's motion here. Yuppified? Certainly. Upscale? Perhaps. Fine dining? Nope.

Side note (of sorts) : I'm curious though what Tommy (and others) think of the Ho-Ho-Kus Inn. I don't think I've seen it mentioned on this board. I can't really comment on its present incarnation since I haven't been there since it was "Claude's Ho-Ho-Kus Inn" and it is currently "Marcello's at the Ho-Ho-Kus Inn". I was never very impressed with it anyway, which is why I ask if it's gotten better.

Side note (of sorts) : I'm curious though what Tommy (and others) think of the Ho-Ho-Kus Inn.  I don't think I've seen it mentioned on this board.  I can't really comment on its present incarnation since I haven't been there since it was "Claude's Ho-Ho-Kus Inn" and it is currently "Marcello's at the Ho-Ho-Kus Inn".  I was never very impressed with it anyway, which is why I ask if it's gotten better.

i think i remember my grandfather liking it. i've never been.

i think i remember my grandfather liking it.  i've never been.

Small world. My grandfather always liked it as well. If he hadn't, I probably never would have eaten at the place.

i think i remember my grandfather liking it.  i've never been.

Small world. My grandfather always liked it as well. If he hadn't, I probably never would have eaten at the place.

i actually made that up to make a point. i think my point wasn't lost on anyone though. :smile:

See, the problem with the written word is that sarcasm doesn't translate very well unless it's amplified to ridiculous levels. Throw one of those little wink-eyed smilies in to warn those of us who don't yet realize that all of your posts are intended to be fabulously entertaining one-liners! :wink: (See?! See how EASY it is?!)

Seriously though, I always thought the HHK Inn was for old people, but I've been noticing younger crowds there recently. Actually, now that I'm thinking of it, I know a guy who cooked there not too long ago. He also used to cook for Ruga (sp. ?) up in Oakland. I may give him a call and dubious second-to-third-hand info may follow later...