• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Asian chili garlic paste & sauce

john b

I bought an 18 oz. jar and only needed two tsp. for a peanut sauce recipe. What can I do with the rest of it?

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

It is great mixed in with scrambled eggs for breakfast. I also love a hearty dollop in a bowl of egg-drop or miso soup.

Mix some in with the beef next time you make burgers, should give a bit of extra flavor. Top salads with it (chili sauce and blue cheese dressing go very well together).

Use some when you make chili, or beef stew. Slice some cheese, and spread some overtop. Eat it by the spoonfull from the jar (works great to satisfy those midnight hunger cravings).

Really, anything you would do with fresh chiles, or pepper sauce, you can do with that paste.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

which is the chili paste? Is it the one that looks like ketchup, very thick, the type you put in pho? Or is it the one in which you can still see the chili seeds, sort of bathing in oil that you use at chinese dim sum restaurants?

which is the chili paste? Is it the one that looks like ketchup, very thick, the type you put in pho? Or is it the one in which you can still see the chili seeds, sort of bathing in oil that you use at chinese dim sum restaurants?

Lots of seeds. Here it is:

http://huyfong.com/no_frames/garlic.htm

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Mix a little with some mayo and coat a fish filet/steak with it before charcoal grilling.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

i love that stuff.

i mix it with a little canola oil, fish sauce, sugar and rice vinegar for an addictive thai/viet style salad dressing. wonderful with tuna (thai tuna salad) and on cabbage. i usually also use some of the dressing as a marinade for the fish - it would be killer as a marinade for grilled steak too.

mix with sour cream and sweet chili sauce - use to top anything potato (chip, tot, baked potato, fry)

add to fried rice, mix with mayo and use on sandwiches....mmm lunchtime!

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

• 1 year later...

Ah Leung, that looks wonderful, and I'm wishing I'd had some this morning to accompany my scrambled eggs or for my potstickers last night.

For those who don't often wander over to the China forum, Ah Leung has a series of absolutely wonderful pictorals. The index is located here.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"