• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What have you grilled lately?

chefreit

Hey!

"I love using my grill!"

Lately....... I have been into char grilling bacon.

I did chipolte & terraki the other day.

Also, wrapping granny smith apples (wedges), with bacon & almonds. :wink:

Oh! And corned beef is great!

I know I'm not the only one !

Harry

I Will Be..................

"The Next Food Network Star!"

I did pork belly rashers the other day, around 1/2" thick ones, basted with cider.

I also did chicken wings, marinated in soy, sugar, sesame seed oil, dark soy, loads of garlic.

I also did steaks. Massive bone-in ribeyes.

I also did prawns.

This weekend, I'm gonna do more. See what the butcher's got for me.

What kind of grill do you have? Gas? Charcoal? I use a charcoal grill, with a mix of apple trimmings, coal, briquettes to start it up. Grill sits 3 inches above settled coals. Grill is cast iron. It is not a griddle, ie. flat plate.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

This past sunday, I butterflied a leg of lamb. Use the Alton Brown's mustard base merinade from "Silance o' the lamb" episode. It cook in less than 30 minute and it was great. Just finished the last of it today. Yum.

I really believed butterflied and grilled is better than way Alton does it which is to roll and tie.

Soup

Last week at home I made some great jerked chicken on the grill with my Dad.

(chicken pieces, indirect heat for ~ 45 min; then direct heat for ~15 min to crisp up the skin a bit).

To go with:

Beer

Jamaican peas and rice (kidney beans, rice, coconut milk, thyme, green onions)

Corn on the cob

Fresh tomato salad

Watermelon with mint and lime

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I was watching some lunatics around the group barbecue at the Jericho Tennis Club the other night. One guy tripped over every grill hazard known to mankind: dumping his chicken breasts out of the supermarket styro tray right onto the grill (they stuck); using the same tongs for his chicken breasts and burgers; incinerating the exteriors of everything while the centres were raw. I suspect his gut was doing the watusi by midnight. His girlfriend, quite wisely, joined us for some deep-cut sirloin and grilled bok choy, simply saying she was too young to die.

But this thread isn't about food safety, I'm just curioius about what everyone's throwng on the barbecue this summer: cuts of meat, favourite sausages, marinades, rubs etc. Recipes welcome. Bonus marks for the unusual and esoteric, such as the bok choy (as above), soaked, I cheerfully confess, in Paul Newman's.

Now then, I wonder if Gerald's firing up burgers, and Neal's throwing on hanger steaks . . .

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

My dad made some incredible bacon wrapped venison chops on the grill a few weeks ago. I may try to gank his recipe and not cook them quite as long... it was nice to break the burger-hotdog-chicken cycle.

Tonight we are having rack of lamb marinated in mint, rosemary, shallots, white wine and lemon.

My mother in law had this in Edmonton a few days ago, and insisted we try it tonight. Should be killer! I think some yam and veg might accompany.

She made saskatoon berry and rhubarb crisp for dessert. Sounds great!

-- Matt

i'm single for the next week or so and tomorrow is supposed to be quite nice. i picked up a new york strip steak- a little over a pound in weight- at the butchers.

i'm thinking some coleslaw and grilled potato wedges.

i also found a nice recipe for buffalo chicken wraps with grilled chicken tenders. perhaps tuesday for that recipe :rolleyes:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

My DH does all the grilling outside. (I do some inside, but not much!) He has cornered the market on grilling Cornish Game Hens. WOW! I can't tell you how perfectly juicy and flavorful these buddies are. The breasts are moist and the dark meat is falling off the bone! He has a trick, but won't let on what it is. Oh well, I can't cook those buggers well at all, he can keep the job! :biggrin:

omg!! we have been going NUTS with the grill lately! (weber kettle)

we've grilled in the past 2 weeks:

sausages & peppers

Kobe beef (a gift from a local restaurant that was closing for a week)

skirt steak (reg garlic marinade & korean style)

bacon & cheddar stuffed burgers

next up salmon & tuna

tasty.gif

This week, it's actually been too hot to grill.

A few weeks ago, I came into possession of a Weber rotisserie kit, and we've cooked at least 12 chickens (2 at a time) since then. The rotisserie kit includes an expander ring, which increases the height of the dome. See here.

Thanks to the increased height, I was able to roast a few huge 4-inch thick porterhouse steaks by standing them on end. The t-bone makes a perfect stand. Last week, I used the rotisserie to cook a couple of tri-tips. This turns out to be an excellent way to cook them. Earlier this week we grilled a dozen splendid lambchops covered in olive oil, along with some gorgeous mexican summer squash (I waited until almost 9 pm before I started grilling -- too hot before then.) But mainly, this is wild salmon season, so we try to grill a 4-5 pound fish at least once each week.

For years, I've been using lump mesquite coal, which I buy in 40 pound bags, and which varies in size from unusably small to the size of my leg. The larger chunks have to be broken up with a hatchet. A few years ago, other lump hardwood coal became widely available around here, so I've been using that for foods that don't necessarily benefit from the mesquite flavoring, like delicate fishes. The benefits of lump hardwood coal, including mesquite, is that it burns much hotter, leaves less ash, and has no chemical additives. I start the coal in a starter chimney using newspaper.

Recently, I began experimenting with oak. Not oak charcoal -- just oak. We have a bunch of oak firewood left over from the cold months. I hack it up into Weber-size pieces and either throw it onto burning coals, or simply start a little campfire in the Weber. The food is flavored nicely, although, as with mesquite, a strong smoke flavor does not benefit every dish. It's great for steak. A wood fire burns plenty hot, but it also burns much faster, so you have to stay on top of it and keep adding more wood. Talk about reinventing the wheel, eh?

--

ID

--

I have two marinated racks of baby lamb on deck.

Wild Ahi Tuna is also in the line-up. As well as, "Omaha Steaks" gourmet dogs, I'm really addicted (not crazy about the steaks) to these things! Oh!

The other night I grilled a doctored frz pizza.

Yeah, I'm guilty of slumming' at least I can admit it! :hmmm:

Harry

The Jersey Guy

:cool:

Last night I grilled up 6 lamb chops marinated in a what I kinda threw together: dijon mustard, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, bay leaves, savory, garam masala, white pepper, salt. Grilled them on super hot cast iron griddle and they came out wonderful. Served with gorgonzola gnocchi and grilled veggies.

The other day I grilled flank steak in what has turned out to be my favorite marinade: fish sauce, lime juice, tamarind concentrate and minced thai chili peppers. Slice it up real thin and serve eaither by itself or in a salad. Awesome.

Cheers,

Bob

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

gallery_16561_1041_3143.jpg

Pizza!

Grilled Pizza w/ Smoked Chicken, Gruyere, Grilled Oyster Mushrooms, Grilled Peppers & Topped with Extra Virgin Olive Oil & Parm-Reg

A.

(sorry for the cross-post w/ Dinner!... but it applies here too :rolleyes: )

I remember reading in the "The NY Times" about grilled oysters.

However, the method escapes me at the moment. :wacko:

Does anyone remember this????

Da'

Jersey Guy

I remember reading in the "The NY Times" about grilled oysters.

However, the method escapes me at the moment. :wacko:

Does anyone remember this????

Da'

Jersey Guy

Usually, around here, it's done with cleaned oysters on the half shell, kind of like Oysters Rockefeller, (stuffed or not).

-Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

We've done nothing but grill the last few weeks. Last night it was side ribs, triple wrapped in foil, and place on the warming rack of the grill for two hours on low heat. Then unwrapped and glazed with BBQ on the grill grates for about 10 minutes. Accompanied by new baby potatoes, also wrapped in foil after being rubbed with garlic butter and sprinkled with kosher salt.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Seekh kebabs, baby. Man, I'd forgotten how juicy them bawsters were -- I put them on the grill and went back inside to clean the serving tray... By the time I was done, I could hear horrible noises coming from outside. I storm out, and see flames spewing up at least two feet above the grill! Jebus! Talk about freakin' char-broiled... Man oh man. Got some good grill marks on them babies though, heheheh.