• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Jersey hot dog article

John

Is there a link for it? No luck Googling...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

That's great, John! Congratulations!

Here's the direct link...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

I admire your devotion to such a simple but delicious food. Beer obsession is a good thing, too. :biggrin:

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Great article, John. It's funny how you mention how you hope your kid grows out of putting ketchup on his hot dogs. I used to love ketchup on my dogs as a kid too, but I shudder to think about doing it these days. I'm a mustard and kraut man now! Congrats again on the article.

For those interested, there will be another hot dog run. Check out http://www.roadfood.com. Click on hotdogs and sausages and go to the 2005 hot dog tours topic. Sorry, I'm not that good at posting a link. By the way, how do you get a link to show up with words being highlighted instead of the website, like in Curlz's post?

John the hot dog guy

For those interested, there will be another hot dog run. Check out http://www.roadfood.com. Click on hotdogs and sausages and go to the 2005 hot dog tours topic. Sorry, I'm not that good at posting a link. By the way, how do you get a link to show up with words being highlighted instead of the website, like in Curlz's post?

Here's a direct link to the hot dog run discussion at Roadfood. John - I've PM'd you on how to do the highlighted the link.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I guess it's just me, but I can't find that article. The direct link that Curlz provided just takes me to the home page. A search under "hot dog" or "hotdog" brings no results. Help!

A good little place for Italian Hot Dogs - my favorite -

Is Hot Dog Heaven on Kinderkamack Road in Emerson (adjacent to the train station (A very small one!) and cookie cupboard.)

They have nice Italian hot dogs :wub: and I tell them to make an Italian Sausage for my husband (it's not on their menu except the old way...just Sausage,Onions,Peppers...) in the same style as their Italian Hot Dog. (Which comes with peppers,onions, potatoes on a thick bread/pita) - they also have nice wraps and pierogi's too! :biggrin:

Rutt's hut is very good but so "seedy" IMHO.

Another great place for Italian Hot Dogs is right of the parkway about 1 to 1 1/2 miles west off the exit in Irvington Jimmy Buff's Restaurant try this link: http://www.jimmybuff.com/locations.shtml

4 Elmwood Avenue (*corner of Springfield Ave. or is it Bloomfield Avenue?) Irvington, NJ (Not for the faint of heart - it's sorta a "dive" type place - but Oooh so good!)

also Dickie Dee's on Bloomfield Avenue... mmmm... let's see....

also Hot Grill in Clifton

also Callahan's on Rt 17 (hasbrouck heights?) and the 2nd one on Rt 46 (little ferry?) for an instant "heart stopper" I wholeheartedly suggest getting a foot long with melted (nacho style?) cheese and bacon! or Italian style with an adulteration/side of melted cheese and bacon to dip it in.

SEE your CARDIOLIGIST after eating this! ::lol::

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

I guess it's just me, but I can't find that article.  The direct link that Curlz provided just takes me to the home page.  A search under "hot dog" or "hotdog" brings no results.  Help!

Guess that link only worked the day the article appeared! Click here, and then on Food and Dining on the menu on the left side of the page. The first article (right now) under Food is New Jersey's Hot Dog Maven.

Note: this last link is taking you right to the article--at least as of now. :wink:

Finally, thank you thank you.

John, cool beans! Question: what size bun do you prefer on a foot long dog... regular or, uh, foot long? I've been using a regular bun at my place but it's really messy. But the foot long bun costs 4 times as much and I'd have to raise the doggie price.

The size of the bun doesn't matter much to me, as long as it isn't one of those cheap supermarket buns that fall apart. Rockland Bakeries make a decent bun. I know that you use this one. The regular size is fine. For the 5 to a lb Best dog used by you and Syd's, I like when there is a little of the dog that hangs over the bun.

John the hot dog guy

John, I think you are now my husband's new idol LOL

I read the story to him and he said " I think we should invite him on the hot dog excursion"

My hubby and one of his friends want to go to Rutt's and a whole bunch of other places to eat hot dogs. Mostly North NJ and NYC places. I'll check out that link you posted. He loves hot dogs...beer too.

Definitely check out the details of the trip that we are planning. We have a bus, too. We'll all meet at one location and hop on the bus. Space is limited, so decide soon if you want to go.

John the hot dog guy

Definitely check out the details of the trip that we are planning. We have a bus, too. We'll all meet at one location and hop on the bus. Space is limited, so decide soon if you want to go.

What details?

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

What details?

Go to RoadFood.com and scroll abot 3/4 of the way down the page to see Benzee's post of 07/22/2005 : 11:51:20 for the details.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

I had a tough time finding it using all the URLs posted. The state parameter for the PHP script got hosed in the posts. But since it was about John I kept trying.

So, here is a shorter URL that you might have better luck with.

And John, keep up the good work!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

• 1 month later...