• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

EVENT DC: Pullets at 20 paces

Finally found the cable for my camera and thought I'd get my two cents in.

First, it was a great time, and good to see old friends and new party animal Haggis man, who brought a pot of some of the most excellent greens I have ever eaten, and almost made me forget about the birds.

gallery_7296_1604_2814.jpg

The pre-dinner spread.

I, too, was surprised how similar the chickens tasted -- though you could tell one from the other, they shared the great roasty taste a properly cooked chicken gets.. It should be noted that Corinne, aka Babka, who wasn't even involved in the trash-talking genesis of this contest, brought the bird with the best mahagony browning.

gallery_7296_1604_43355.jpg

Mrs. B's well-trusted bird.

As you can see, the chickens were backed by a tasty array of sides, in addition to the greens, Chef Shogun brought some fresh tomatoes, Squids weighed in with som excellent corn, Rosebud gave us all a lesson in what to do during Zuccini season with some great fried gourd; and JPW brought Peanut :laugh: (who was a delight).

gallery_7296_1604_26555.jpg

Let the chowdown begin!

Heather brought salad and beaucoup wine; while Simdelish took care of the mojitos and the best part of the dessert.

gallery_7296_1604_39361.jpg

L-R Shogun's foot, Craig (aka Mr. Rosebud), Lee (aka Ms. JPW), Simdelish (aka Lee) Haggis man and HGShorter.

Sim deserves special kudos for her Chocolate thingy, not just because I got to keep the leftovers. They were spectaculary good and went well with the 'scream.

Despite buying ingredients from vastly different establishments...

gallery_7296_1604_24073.jpg

Fresh Country Goodness.

gallery_7296_1604_60195.jpg

Serious Urban Funk.

...they tasted pretty much the same. Cost of farmers market milk, eggs, cream and one stupid vanilla bean from Whole Paycheck: about $14. Cost from the Supersaver: About $7.

It was a great time and thanks to everyone who came together to, if not settle any arguments, at least allow us to hold onto our irrational prejudices from from a more informed perspective.

(I still like Stephanie's bext :wink: )

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

CORRECTION: I cannot in good conscience take credit for the zucchini. Craig :wub: made that from a recipe he found in Biba Caggiano's "Trattoria Cooking" (1992). He makes it for me from time to time (it's a little labor-intensive for him) because it's one of my favorite dishes in the whole world and it holds up well at room temperature.

I can't say I saw much of a difference between the three birds either, save for one piece that I had which was very salty. I'd like to think that was the brined one, but who knows.

Thanks to everybody for the great sides and the great company, and especially for Mr. and Mrs. Busboy for their glittering as always hospitality!

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Finally away from work and back at my computer (that's what happens when I take an afternoon off!). What a great evening: good company, good food, good beverages, what more could you ask for? Nice to see friendly faces from the picnic, and meet new ones.

The chicken contest was indeed a toss-up. I loved the moistness of the brined, the skin of the Zuni-style, and the flavor of the third (probably because it tasted most like what I make at home :wink: -- what can I say? ) The greens were outstanding, and prompted me to pick up an enourmous bundle (are they supposed to be that big?) at my local market tonight, where the sign claimed "picked this morning on the eastern shore." No ham hocks available, but I grabbed some slab bacon on the next aisle over to cook with. Tomorrow's dinner will be greens, corn, blackberries which my kids picked tonight, and crabs from my traps. Yum!

My heartfelt thanks to the Busboys for their kind hospitality. Staying that extra hour was the best part -- After working seven days a week for the last 2 months, Sunday's event was just what I needed -- and I didn't even have to cook! a delightful evening! My sincere appreciation to all who participated, and sincere pity for those who didn't attend! You don't know what you missed...

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.