• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My Moka Pot is whistling at me

keeperrox

Today, just like almost every other day, I made myself coffee/espresso in my Bialetti Moka Pot. The difference was, that it started to whistle at a very high pitch. I went over, and saw some bubbling around the area where the two pieces come together. Now, I just replaced the rubber ring about a month ago, after the original was in there for about a year and a half, so I doubt it's that. Once it was cool, I checked it out and nothing seemed out of place. Could the threads on the two pieces be wearing down? What do you all suggest?? Has this happened to anyone before?

Today, just like almost every other day, I made myself coffee/espresso in my Bialetti Moka Pot.  The difference was, that it started to whistle at a very high pitch.  I went over, and saw some bubbling around the area where the two pieces come together.  Now, I just replaced the rubber ring about a month ago, after the original was in there for about a year and a half, so I doubt it's that. Once it was cool, I checked it out and nothing seemed out of place.  Could the threads on the two pieces be wearing down?  What do you all suggest??  Has this happened to anyone before?

Try cleaning the gasket and if that does not work replace it again. The gasket is the usual culprit. It happens to ours all the time, but we use it several times a day.

Craig Camp is right about the gasket. It could be poorly seated or old and inflexible. Also, when you fill the bottom half of the pot, make sure the water doesn't cover the pressure relief valve. And don't grind the coffee too fine, overfill the basket or tamp the grounds.

Edited by carswell (log)

This may or may not be helpful but when the grouphead gasket of a commercial espresso machine (where the portafilter/brew basket assembly locks on) is replaced, one generally applies a thin film of food graded silicone lubricant to the top of the gasket where it stays (gel form in a tube for about $4 per tube) in constant contact with the hot internal metal part of the machine.

This simplifies removal but I suspect that it also facilitates a better seal and lengthens the life span of the gasket. Might be worth trying with a moka pot.

By the way, a moka pot does not make expresso, it makes a moka.

This is true but in every Italian-Americn family I know people call it "espresso" when it's made at home in a moka pot and still call it espresso when it's acquired in a cafe where it's made in a real espresso machine. I'm curious to know if this is also the case in Italy.

This is true but in every Italian-Americn family I know people call it "espresso" when it's made at home in a  moka pot and still call it espresso when it's acquired in a cafe where it's made in a  real espresso machine.  I'm curious to know if this is also the case in Italy.

Among my friends, in Italy they just call if caffe.

One other hint- if you are like me and not the most wonderful housekeeper, the temptation is to leave the old grounds in until you use the pot again. Luckily for me this is daily but I notice things just work better if I've cleaned the pot and its had ample time to air dry. When rinsing the part that actually holds the coffee, I like to roll it back and forth between my fingers under water until the screen is loose. This is probably voodoo but it makes me feel like I'm helping.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

This may or may not be helpful but when the grouphead gasket of a commercial espresso machine (where the portafilter/brew basket assembly locks on) is replaced, one generally applies a thin film of food graded silicone lubricant to the top of the gasket where it stays  (gel form in a tube for about $4 per tube) in constant contact with the hot internal metal part of the machine.

This simplifies removal but I suspect that it also facilitates a better seal and lengthens the life span of the gasket. Might be worth trying with a moka pot.

By the way, a moka pot does not make expresso, it makes a moka.

This is true but in every Italian-Americn family I know people call it "espresso" when it's made at home in a moka pot and still call it espresso when it's acquired in a cafe where it's made in a real espresso machine. I'm curious to know if this is also the case in Italy.

No, in Italy they would not call coffee from a moka espresso. In fact they don't really say espresso that much as if you order a coffee at a bar or restaurant it is assumed that it is an espresso and they they will make a point to tell you if it is not espresso and is a moka. At home you are very likely to be served a moka if you are offered coffee, this is also expected. Any Italian can tell the difference between a moka and an espresso just by looking.

There are a lot of Italian American expressions that don't have much to do with Italian usage.

Edited by Craig Camp (log)