• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

STEAK for my man

Rosie

Lowell wants to go to a steak house for Father's Day. Our favorites are Sammy's in Mendham, the Park in Park Ridge and The River Palm in Fairlawn. Do you have any other suggestions? Where in NJ do you go for steak?

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Ruth Chris is my favorite

Even though it is a chain Ruth Chris is still one of my favorites.  Nothing beats their steak coming out on those butter sizzling plates and their au gratin potatoes.  I prefer the Weehawken location to the Parsiappany Hilton location, as it’s enjoyable to walk around the water and view the skyline after the meal.

Dodge, have you been to The River Palm?  Give it a shot, I think you will love it.  They have 3 locations but our favorite is the one in Edgewater.

"Who made you the reigning deity on what is an interesting thread and what is not? " - TheBoatMan

Where in NJ do you go for steak?

My wife prefers The River Palm's non-smoking room (fairlawn).

I prefer the elbows in your face atmosphere of Edgewater :smile:

YMMV

Nick

Nick, Isn’t it great to people watch at the Edgewater location?  It's almost like an adventure  :biggrin:

"Who made you the reigning deity on what is an interesting thread and what is not? " - TheBoatMan

[Dodge, have you been to The River Palm?  Give it a shot, I think you will love it.  They have 3 locations but our favorite is the one in Edgewater.

]

Just saw this post.  I have been to River Palm in Edgewater once and did enjoy.

I definitely agree River Palm in Edgewater is the best around - I am there at least once a month & it is always consistantly great. They just doubled the sixe of the restaurant.

Some other good places:

Steves Sizzlin Steaks in Rutherford on Rt 17 South

- very good - pretty cheap - not a fancy place

- as there menu says it all, steak, steak or chopeed steak, no chicken, no fish & no pasta

Smoke Chophouse in Englewood is also very good.

Just a word on Steve's Sizzling Steaks...

I agree with dknyc1 about it being "very good", "pretty cheap", and "not a fancy place", but I've never been back there because of VERY poor service the first time I went.

Details: arrived about 7:30 on a Friday night... told there was a 20 minute wait to get a table for 4... received a number of 43... 30 deafening minutes later (the speaker outside is INSANELY loud) number 44 is called... 45 follows... politely remind the host that he skipped 43, "five minutes" he says... 10 minutes later, numbers in the 50's are being called...  seeing THREE empty tables I point them out and we're seated without an apology.

And things just got worse from there.  We were sure to keep time: 10 minutes before we even got our waiter... appetizers came 1 minute before our steaks (which WERE very good)... drinks came almost 10 minutes AFTER we got our steaks... no apologies and there was even some glaring look from the bartender for some reason.

I really don't know what the problem was.  Perhaps it's because my friends and I are still under 30?  I paid with a credit card and wrote on the receipt "5% tip for POOR SERVICE" (it's important to note that because otherwise they assume that younger customers are either poor or cheap).  I probably should've refused even that, but instead I just refuse to bring them any more business.

Is the food at River Palm in Edgewater better prepared than the food in Fair Lawn or do you prefer Edgewater due to its vibrant atmosphere.

Dodge621, I think the food is consistent among their 3 locations.  The Mahwah location is the most upscale of the 3 and focus a lot on presentation.  Plus, they have a fireplace room and the restaurant is definitely for lack of a better word the prettiest of them all.  We prefer the edgewater location because of its "vibrant atmosphere".  Not sure how this has changed with its expansion.  We plan on going within the next week so we'll see how it turned out.

I have only been to th Edgewater location because I live in Englewood Cliffs & that is closest.

Also, everyone I know says it is the best.

Re: Sizzlin Steaks - I had the same problem first time with the wait & numbers, etc,

Now, we just never go at very busy times. Usually we will go at 6:00 or so & get in no problem & service is decent.

Re: Smoke - the entire downstairs is smoke free - & very nice room

Sammy's Ye Old Cider Mill, 353 Mendham Road West (Route 24), Mendham hasn't changed in the 20 plus years I have been dining there. If you want a great steak this is the place to go. And if you do go here don't expect a sign our front letting you know that it is a restaurant. There is no sign and usually a long wait. Things are done differently here. When you enter Sammy's don't wait to be seated. Go to the hostess station or get in line because there will most likely be a line. Look at the menu nailed to the wall and tell the hostess your name and give her your order. Most people come for the outstanding dry-aged Black Angus T-bone steaks, lobsters, and enormous cuts of lamb, veal and pork chops. Dinner includes salad dressed with house made wine vinegar, a fresh vegetable, the best French fries in New Jersey, dessert and coffee. We skip an appetizer. We had steak for two and lobster.

Once you have ordered go to the basement where there is a handmade wooden bar which dates back to the 1920's prohibition era when Sammy's was a speakeasy, video games and a bumper pool table to help you bide your time. Order a drink from John (he makes a mean martini) and tell him your name. Don't pay him, but certainly tip him, as the bar bill will be added to your food check (a nice touch). A few minutes before your food is ready the phone will ring, John will call your name and you may now go to the dining room where you will have a scrumptious dinner.

Dinner served Mon. through Thurs. 6:00 PM to 9:30 PM; Fri. and Sat. 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM; Sun. 4:30 to 9:00. Phone 973-543-7675 for directions. Reservations are not taken.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE