• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plum Kernel Oil

have you tried google? i just typed the three magic words in and came up with 3 suppliers straight away. they seemed biased to the aromatherapy market, but straight plum kernel oil is the same whether from a culinary supplier or an aromatherapy supplier

Because of their similarity in composition and properties, palm kernel oil has similar uses to coconut oil in both the edible and non-edible fields. There are, however, some small differences. Palm kernel oil is more unsaturated and so can be hydrogenated to a wider range of products for the food industry, while coconut oil has a somewhat greater content of the more valuable shorter-chain fatty acids, which makes it a little more valuable for the oleochemical industry.

Source : http://www.fosfa.org

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper

HaHa! :wacko:

Sorry Guys, what an idiot.

Shall hang my head in shame.........

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper

have you tried google? i just typed the three magic words in and came up with 3 suppliers straight away. they seemed biased to the aromatherapy market, but straight plum kernel oil is the same whether from a culinary supplier or an aromatherapy supplier

I can't find anybody that seems to sell it in small quantities and I am loathe to buy it from an aromatherapy supplier unless they can gurantee its safety for culinary uses.

I want to make a Lobster dish in the Michel Bras cookbook.

Prune Oil

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Olga Köszeghy at Orchedeus has mailed me with the following details

Prune oil is used to add a finish accent to food preparations and has the delicate flavour and taste of marzipan . It was adopted early by the food service industry in France for its ability to replicate the taste of bitter almond oil and provide a stronger almond flavour to sweets.

But the use of prune oil goes beyond sweets and also capitalises on the growing trend for "new oils" pioneered by restaurants and food companies looking for original tastes in food : It can be drizzled over entrées , incorporated into marinades , used as an ingredient in bakery , ice creams, dressings, sauces with meats, fish or sea food.

Prune kernel oil will be distributed in U.K from mid-August by The Oil Merchant and we will attend the London Fine Food Show (at Olympia) from September 4-6 2005.

They have also provided a list of restaurants currently using the the oil:

Chilled soup of summer fruits perfumed with prune oil, green verveine crème brulée (Les fresques , Bordeaux) Prune oil passion fruit cake on an almond “calisson“ biscuit (Chez Ruffet, Pau) Red Fruit Turnovers on a Prune Oil ice cream (Le Mas des Oliviers , Nice) Lobster roasted in honey vinegar and prune oil (La chartreuse, poilly) St. Jacques Shells carpaccio drizzled with prune oil (Marriotat, Agen) Lobster drizzled with a blender vinaigrette of apple juice and prune oil (Michel Bras, Laguiole) Green asparagus and prune oil truffe cream (Michel Bras - Toya , Japan) Veal meat and a selection of vegetables perfumed with prune oil (Ledoyen, Paris) Duck liver roasted in prune oil with an almond duck sauce  (Marriotat, Agen) Saint Jacques shells , salad with an emulsion of du puy lentils dressed with prune oil (Meridien hotel Brussels) Ray fish. Prune oil & green plums chutney (Soleil et pistou , Neuilly) Lobster and foie gras prune oil salad (Jarasse) Chocolate cream perfumed with prune oil (Käfer Germany) Prune oil Banana muffin with chocolate chips (Gegenbauer , Austria) Roasted Fillet of Salmon.Roquette and Water Cress Risoto with a Plum Oil (The Amberley Inn, Gloucester, Uk) Almond and prune oil crème brulée with sheep milk yoghurt Ice cream (Restaurant Atelier, Newtown, Australia) Almond Jelly with Crab, Almond Gazpacho, Prune Oil & Sweet Corn Custard (Marque restaurant, Surrey Hills , UK) Prune and Armagnac Clafoutis with prune nut Oil ice Cream (The Berkeley Square , London, UK) Strawberry salad  with prune oil (Futterboden , Vienna, Austria)Yellow pickerel filet roasted with prune oil, asparagus risotto on a champaign sauce (Gasthof Bäuerle , Kornwestheim, Germany)Royal crab and avocado salad perfumed with prune oil (Keio Plaza Hotel, Tokyo , Japan)...

Latest: Elbulli restaurant , Roses  (spain). Chef adrià Ferran.

Since march 25, 2005.

:biggrin: It is on! Taking it off gives the same result. Anyway thanks NOT due to Fisherman as obviously I had done a google search and even with that I haven't tracked down a current supplier based in the UK :raz: Edited by Matthew Grant (log)

Have you tried asking MSK in Sheffield- they always seem to be the source of all things unusual and unheard of!!

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp