• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Florida -- Rum shopping central?

Just got back from a trip to florida, and I was able to find a couple of interesting rums there at fairly typical liquor stores:

Pampero Anniversario

Westerhall Plantation

Grand Havana cuban style 3 year old from Westerhall

Flor de Cana Centenario (12 years) -- AMAZINGLY good

Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum 96 proof

Ron Abuelo

Also I found 2 types of rum cream, Angostura and Cruzan. I havent tried the Cruzan yet but I expect it to be good given the quality of their other products. We finished off a whole bottle of the Angostura -- surprisingly good.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Think that is the reason the selection is so good?

Yep. Although these were from regular liquor stores in west palm beach, nothing special. I really wanted to go to a high end specialty liquor store in Miami but we were pressed for time.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Flor de Cana Centenario (12 years) -- AMAZINGLY good, AND LOOKS THAT WAY, from your photos  :smile:

Its a very, very good rum. Seems much older than 12 years.

• 1 month later...

I'd be very interested to read your comments about the Grand Havana Cuban style rum from Westerhall compared to the Plantation Estate which varies from batch to batch but can be a good sipping rum considering it is only three years old.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

I havent cracked it open yet, as my kitchen is being redone and a lot of stuff is boxed up. I'll see if I can dig it up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Jason,

Would you mind sharing some details on your dining experiences while visiting Florida? As a Florida "foodie" here on eGullet, I'm always interested in hearing about your travels here and seeing comtributions to the Southeast board.

Thanks,

Rich

South Florida