• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating Well on a Budget

Eggs are your friend! Breakfast for dinner is one of my favorite things to cook, just in general, eggs are so versatile. Omelets, scrambled, fried, boiled for egg salad sandwiches or just sliced and put in a salad, frittatas, whatever! And they're about $1 a dozen.

Chicken thighs was a great suggestion. Acutally, you can get the a 10# bag of whole legs on sale for about $0.39/lb, and you can do just about anything with them. Of course, they take a little cleaning when you get home to cut off the extra fat (render it for use in your cooking), cut off the rib cage that is left on the thigh (use it for chicken stock), etc., but it's so worth it. Anything you can do with breasts, you can do with dark meat, and IMO dark meat tastes much better anyway.

Pork steaks are great, too, and very inexpensive. I believe they're just sliced pork butt, but they are good. I marinate them a lot with Cuban-flavored ingredients and have them with a black bean and rice salad. Very good.

Do yourself a favor and skip the soft drinks. They're not very good for you, and they can get expensive. Make tea instead.

Plan your budget and prepare BEFORE you go shopping. Most major grocery stores have websites now with their specials on them, and take advantage of their frequent shopper cards. Lots of time IF YOU STICK TO THE SALE ITEMS you can save lots of money and even "Buy 1 Get 1 Free". Familiarize yourself with prices so you know a good deal when you see it.

Rhonda

While I agree with giving up soda because of price, I totally sympathize with the diet cola addiction. One thing to do is to buy ONE two-liter bottle of whichever generic brand is under $1.00 per week (and watch for sales - frequently, at our local cheapo place, Coke or Pepsi brands will go on sale for about 89 cents for a 1.5 liter bottle). After that's gone, if you absolutely MUST have something fizzy to drink, buy lemons, they're cheap, make lemonade and add seltzer water - at my local grocery store the generic seltzer is 50 cents a liter. I buy $2.00 worth a week. Or just drink the seltzer...I do, all week.

Iced tea is an excellent substitute as well, and you can do half iced tea/half lemonade.

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

I was a co-op student in 1979 and making the princely sum of $275/month. Rent was $175 (utilities included). This will teach you to economize. I did a few things repeatedly.

1. Go shopping on Wednesday. Supermarket sales start on Wednesdays. There will be free sales flyers in the store as well as signs on the sale items. They change each week, so it instills some variety.

2. For meats, I'd go with whole chicken, whole turkey, ground beef, and cheap long cook cuts that are on sale. Others have mentioned good ideas like rice, beans, and eggs, I include peanut butter in that category also. Canned tuna goes on sale often for very cheap.

3. For veggies, once again, follow the sales and think seasonal.

4. I learned to make bread during this time. Homemade bread is a pleasure and really cheap. Get some wheat and rye flours to add some variety.

My standard deal was to buy the smallest whole turkey I could find when they're on sale. Roast the turkey and have it with potatoes and veggies for a couple of meals. Cut meat off for sandwiches on homemade bread or to freeze for later meals. Leave some meat on the carcass and roast it. Use roasted carcass to make stock, onions and celery are cheap! Use stock to make gravy to jazz up bread or rice or make soup. I ended up eating a variety of good meals for very little money. Oh, yeah, and turkey omelettes!

People at work were constantly jealous of my roast turkey sandwiches on homemade bread. Just economizing, I told them!

Offal's always good for a quick and cheap meal round our way. Liver tends to be eminently affordable and black pudding's great (and very filling) in lots of combinations - in salads with poached eggs, with mashed potato, with apple, in a roll with a fried egg (the best breakfast! :cool: ).

PS

Edinburgh

Some advice from a single New Yorker who also loves good food (I frequently get into the "how little money can you survive on" contest with my friends):

1. stock your pantry with non-parishables like rice, beans and pasta.

2. Go ethnic. Chinese, Indian and Thai food are particularly design to feed a multitude of people, stretching the ingredients. A half pound of steak can be one entree or it can be cut into strips, stir-fried with some onions, peppers and carrots and stretched into two meals (lunch for next day). I made some Indian spiced zuchinis last night and put it over rice and the total cost came out to be about $2 per meal and it owuld have been much cheaper if I hadn't used organic squash and zuchinis and served it with high end baby basmati rice and hand made yogurt. While you are at this, get to know your local Chinatown...it's the place for all bargains.

3. Invest in a herb garden if you have a window sill. This is especially true for things like basil, parsley, rosemary and thyme. Fresh herbs taste better, but let's face it, you are never going to use the whole bunch of basil as a single person before it wilts in your fridge or in a glass of water. Get yourself a plant (usually $3 to $4), take care of it, and snip as you need it. You can have pasta with tomato sauce and fresh basil for the summer.

4. Buy seasonally, because you naturally get better tasting food at cheaper prices.

5. Get out your cookbooks and get creative. I once had a craving for oatmeal raisin cookies and found that a package of mass produced cookies cost $4.99 and the mid range lines (the kind made by small time producers and is slightly more edible) are $6.99 for a package of 6 cookies. For $6.99, I can bake close to 60 cookies, that would be using good french butter. So, start baking, your palate will probably appreciate you more.

Hey, you might end up saving enough money to splurge at a really nice four starb restaurant at the end of the month.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

ditsydine, I understand your situation. I'm single and used to be poor until I was fortunate enough to get a good-paying job.

First, follow everybody's advice, within reason of course.  :laugh:

In terms of appliances, if it's possible within your budget at this time, get a crock pot and a bunch of small plastic containers for the freezer. That will free up your time tremendously. Soups and stews  can be cooking away while you're away at work. And when you get home, the only prep you need to do is your salad and dinner is served! The leftovers can be portioned out into the containers and put into the freezer. Instead of buying frozen meals, make your own frozen meals!!

I hope this helps.

May I add that when cooking for a single person, freezing 1-2 cup portions flat in ziplock bags allows for fast defrost. I have a couple plastic tubs in my freezer where I store these vertically for easy access (and to keep them from sliding out and landing on my feet).

Edited to add: for seafood, think mussels. Really easy, really cheap for seafood, and there are a gazillion interesting recipes round the world.

Edited by Mottmott (log)

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

One thing I have found to help with limited freezer space, is how I freeze soupy leftovers. Rather than putting them in little containers, I freeze them flat on a cookie sheet in ziplock bags. That way I can stack them and they take up much less room (also are easier to tuck into available spaces).

May I add that when cooking for a single person, freezing 1-2 cup portions flat in ziplock bags allows for fast defrost. I have a couple plastic tubs in my freezer where I store these vertically for easy access (and to keep them from sliding out and landing on my feet).

LOL :laugh:

Great minds think alike !

K

Basically I am tired about reading about the food I love & can cook.

Um, I'm interested in this statement, and confused a tad. So you want to read about food you dislike and can't cook? Please expound.

I'm not being arch here: I just want to understand.

My impression was that she's tired of reading on eGullet about all the wonderful food people eat, when her budget is too tight to afford such herself.

I sympathise, ditsydine :smile:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Um, I'm interested in this statement, and confused a tad. So you want to read about food you dislike and can't cook? Please expound.

No harm, I meant is I feel like I read (and watch) about fabulous food, and haven't been able to funnel that fabulousness to my table. If that makes one iota of sense. BUT everyone's suggestions have showed me otherwise, yeah!

-----------------

AMUSE ME

My impression was that she's tired of reading on eGullet about all the wonderful food people eat, when her budget is too tight to afford such herself.

I sympathise, ditsydine :smile:

BINGO! What's that old saying "Champange taste..beer budget" Luckily I have the booze part covered--friends in high places..Yeah, I guess I feel deprived on some level & I guess that is the level of *nice* food. Regardless of anything, I am thankful that I am not starving--period, that is something to be happy about.

Everyone's suggestions have been so wonderful and varied, egullet rocks.

BTW--I did have kasha varnishkes today for lunch! I made it at home. I forgot I had a box in my cupboard--not only did it taste good, but the smell brought back good memories of my mom and grandma, and everyone in the breakroom wanted to know what smelled so good!. :smile:

-----------------

AMUSE ME

I don't think I saw tomato or pasta sauce mentioned, but I like to make a big portion of sauce inspired by the original "Godfather" movie (I think the cook's name was Clemenza). All of the ingredients can be bought on the cheap--canned plum (or regular) tomatoes, tomato paste, sometimes I add tomato sauce as well, garlic, inexpensive wine, either red or white depending on your tastes, salt, pepper, pinch of sugar if necessary and that's it. No herbs, no onions, no green pepper, no parmesan cheese, etc. Now you have a basic sauce which can be used to top or simmer anything in: chicken, mussels, eggplant, ground beef, ground turkey, inexpensive cuts of pork. At that point add onions, herbs, peppers, whatever you need to individualize the sauce. When I think of how much I've paid for jarred sauces compared to how little it costs to make my own....................... :angry:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

This may sound impractical.. but anyway, how much are sweet potatoes in your area? They're so nutritious and heavy, if you eat a lot of them you won't even need anymore supplements, you won't gain weight, and you'll have a lot of energy. If you like sweets- well, get teh orange sweet potatoes- slice and bake them and eat them plain, or boil/fry -

for the boiled- better to boil them whole and then eat it with butter/honey and or a bit of coconut milk or dessicated coconut (mash and mix) then you can even put some marshies on top and bake it like that (if you have an oven)

for the friend stuff- you can cut them like french fries or just circular .. you can also sprinkle a little cayenne on top before you eat it.. helps you lose more weight.

ditsydine, I can't tell what area you live in, but if you live in CA, find someone that has a lemon tree!

Grow herbs, if possible. Fresh herbs can elevate the most mundane cookery. They are ridiculously expensive to buy.

Nobody's mentioned hash, yet. Breakfast or dinner, a dish high on my list of favorites. Top with a poached egg or two, nail that technique, and feel elegant, to boot.

Shop around for a good price on canned salmon and keep a few cans in the pantry. Make like crab cakes for when you get a craving for fish. Suitable for company.

Make fried rice once a week. Great way to use up all of the little dribs and drabs in the refrigerator before your grocery shopping day.

Get a copy of "The Supper of the Lamb" by Robert Farrar Capon. He's got the right idea, interwoven with some of the smoothest theology ever.

Frugal cooks are inventors and practitioners of some of the finest cooking on the planet. Your situation is an opportunity, not a sentence.

Pick something that is a real treat for you. Good chocolate, premium ice cream, a fine cheese? Fit one into the budget once in awhile, and enjoy it to the hilt!

4. The bulk foods bins in your local natural foods market are your friends. Generally the price per lb./whatever will be significantly lower than the equivalent food in the fancy packaging on the supermarket shelves. And the variety of foods available in bulk form keeps growing.

At least in my neck of the woods, this is so true! There are two advantages: lower price per pound, and you only have to buy what you need. I sure wish they had better hours, though.

Polenta with various toppings. . .

Crepes of all sorts. . .

Whole grain pancakes for breakfast with fruit toppings. . .

Twice-baked stuffed potatoes. . .

Risottos. . .

Any sort of stuffed baked vegetable. . .

Kasha not only "varnishkes" but hot with honey and milk for breakfast. . .

Pierogis. . .

Any sort of waffles (you can buy a cheap wafflemaker for about $8.). . .

Vietnamese Spring Rolls. . .

Chowders. . .

Couscous. . .

And of course, its always fun to think about how something could be used before throwing it out. Bread can be made into bread pudding or croutons, bagels into bagel chips, bananas into banana bread or other fruits the same (I know you said that you were losing weight, but lowcal lowfat versions can be done).

It is challenging time-wise and mentally to re-enter the kitchen after relying on eating out or on frozen foods, but the reward is definitely there. Just takes some focus to change habits.

Then of course, the problem is that when you DO eat out or eat frozen, nothing will come up to your standards most of the time, and you will be in the kitchen more than you ever expected!

Ah, well. Tradeoffs. At least the food will be really good.

I wish I could reply to each and every post, but once again the great and varied ideas are just so wonderful AND inspirational. My only note--I Know the diet sodas are bad, but it is mostly the bubbly part--I do often buy cheap seltzer and flavored carbonated waters...

-----------------

AMUSE ME

I wish I could reply to each and every post, but once again the great and varied ideas are just so wonderful AND inspirational. My only note--I Know the diet sodas are bad, but it is mostly the bubbly part--I do often buy cheap seltzer and flavored carbonated waters...

You might look & see if you have a Grocery Outlet in yor area. (store that sells gently dented cans, overstocked items etc. don't worry they can't sell you food that's expired or gone off) When I was young these were a great way for me to occasionally find splurge foods at budget prices, and often regular foods for practically nothing...

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

This may sound impractical.. but anyway, how much are sweet potatoes in your area?  They're so nutritious and heavy, if you eat a lot of them you won't even need anymore supplements, you won't gain weight, and you'll have a lot of energy.  If you like sweets- well, get teh orange sweet potatoes- slice and bake them and eat them plain, or boil/fry -

for the boiled- better to boil them whole and then eat it with butter/honey and or a bit of coconut milk or dessicated coconut (mash and mix) then you can even put some marshies on top and bake it like that (if you have an oven)

for the friend stuff- you can cut them like french fries or just circular .. you can also sprinkle a little cayenne on top before you eat it.. helps you lose more weight.

absolutely great idea...

in fact i wish there was a thread on sweet potato recipes.....

i LOVE this root and all its savory / sweet and sour recipes

and was horrified to see people only know one way of making it:

entombing it in marshmallow ick, and then claim they don't like it.

a real crime against food.....

milagai

I can't remember if someone has already said this....but quiches are cheap, and last for a while. You can make a bazillion different kinds, and all it takes is dicing 4-5 slices of deli meat and cheese and some veg.... If it's a really tight week, we'll have cabbage-caraway quiche (w/ ham/bacon) or leek quiche. Cheap, but decent. :wink:

I also have to manage my groceries budget carefully, allthough I have to admit that this more by choice than out of necessity. Here's what I do:

eat less meat. I'd rather eat some really good (preferably organic) meat or fish twice a week, than bland battery chicken and pork every day.

Sometimes I think I need to go groceryshopping, but then I don't, and just make dinner with bits and pieces from the fridge, freezer and pantry. Use your kitchen as a supermarket! Some of these dinners have turned out so great that they became regulars.

Although it's a good thing to have a shoppinglist (to prevent impulse-buys), I don't think you should stick to the list no matter what. If you have zucchini on your list but the eggplants look better and are cheaper, be flexible and change your menu.

We have friends over for dinner on an average of 1-2 times a week, and even then I try to stick to the budget. You don't have to treat your guests to steak or wild salmon.. a quiche, a salad, fresh fruit for dessert, make it look beautiful, and no-one will think you're cheap.

Make stock. A good stock makes good ingredients taste fantastic and cheap ingredients taste good. Which means you can stretch cheap ingredients further without making them seem boring.

Depending on where you are, bones can often be an absolute bargain if you make friends with your butcher. I can get 12 chicken carcasses for $2 which is enough to make about 3 months worth of stock. Along with some cheap onions, celery and carrots, maybe another $2 worth.

And once your done, you can pick all the meat off the bones and you have about 2lb of good quality chicken meat, perfect for making a soup out of.

PS: I am a guy.

My dinner last night reminded me of this thread. For an occasional splurge of a treat, try sea scallops. I know they are around $12 a pound, but you know what, try buying just 3 scallops. OK so the guy looked at me a little funny when I asked for just three, but a nice little salad, some cooked greens and 3 pan seared scallops was a great meal and only cost a few dollars. The same could be done with shrimp. The last time I cooked sea scallops I bought half a pound and made the mental note that it was just way too many. I use the same approach with Belgian endive. You can make a great single salad with just one of them. Last night I had 3 pan seared scallops a Belgian endive salad (1 medium endive sliced thin, sliced kalamata olives, capers, shaved shallots, lemon juice, olive oil and S & P) and sauteed broccoli rabe and the whole thing was under $5, not bad for great meal. I appreciated the meal that much more because I once did have to be real concerned with the cost. Old habits die hard. Treat yourself well, your self esteem is important and you will be thankful for it.

Cheers,

HC

If the fish in the seafood department of your supermarket -- or at a fish/seafood market depending on where you live -- is decent, there is often fish on sale, such as tilapia, catfish, or some kind of farmed-raised fish. That's another protein that doesn't require a big portion or if you do want to stretch it, you could use it in fish cakes, pasta, soup or stew.

Sandwiches might be something that you are already tired of. I love sandwiches, and like to make sandwiches with almost anything. You could use some of the above mentioned fish, or chicken, pork, etc. instead of expensive deli meats.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.