• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boston's MetroWest environs

iamthestretch

Hello all. Longtime urbanite, most recently ex-DC, soon to transfer to the Boston commuter belt. Haven't been able to find much discussion of anything West of Blue Ginger on the board and wondered if anyone had any local favorites to recommend. Have heard good things about Oga's in Natick and one friend talked up Sky in Sudbury. Own experience so far limited to a decent dinner at John Stone's in Ashland. Ambitious pub food and good beer on a pleasant patio.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Hi!

I had a very good meal recently at Corriander in Sharon (exit 8 off 95). A friend who lives in Ayer has mentioned a great place in Groton, but I can't remember the name of it...

And of course, in Westford, Kimball's Ice Cream. A wonderful place for kids of all ages.

Cheers

Karen

All that is needed for evil to survive is for good people to do nothing

Hi!

I had a very good meal recently at Corriander in Sharon (exit 8 off 95).  A friend who lives in Ayer has mentioned a great place in Groton, but I can't remember the name of it...

And of course, in Westford, Kimball's Ice Cream.  A wonderful place for kids of all ages.

Cheers

Karen

Kimball's! I love Kimball's! If you're adventurous you'll trek out to the outpost of the Westford Kimball's in my hometown, Carlisle. Less stuff for the kids to play on, but lots of room. Watch out for the mosquitoes, though. (Kimball's in Carlisle is on Bedford Road; Carlisle is about 45 minutes from Boston.)

in love, as in gluttony, pleasure is a matter of the utmost precision.

(italo calvino)

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite in Sudbury is Oishii II, for very, very good sushi. I think there have been some prior postings here about it. Marlboro has Coral Seafood for somewhat upscale (for the 'burbs) fish and Mi Ranchito for no frills, mom 'n pop Mexican (homemade guac is excellent). On Route 9 west in Framingham is the best and most authentic Chinese food in this area, Szechuan Gourmet (is that the correct name, I'm having a brain lapse), the double cooked bacon and bamboo in wonder sauce are my favorites. Maynard is full of small restaurants, I think the Sit n Bull is fun for a night out with good BBQ, beer and live music (jazz, blues often). Malcolm's Steakhouse in Maynard touts itself as "Boston in the suburbs", but I've been twice and was not impressed either time. Gibbett Hill is the place mentioned in Groton, I've not been yet but I have heard all good reports. In Ayer are two Korean restaurants, IMHO Wu Jon (Chon?), is the better one, no liquor license but inexpensive and tasty. In Northboro is Giuseppe's for decent Italian, but it has a lovely outdoor patio in the back overlooking Solomon Pond. With all my respect to your friend, I find Sky to be just average. If really upscale dining in a "see and be seen" atmosphere is what you intend, then head to Boston.

• 2 weeks later...

Boo,

In Sudbury, my daughter (who lives there) shares the opinion of Sky already expressed here-mediocre.

We all love Lotus Blossom, also in Sudbury, for very good Asian food. Sushi bar and full menu, plus decor is very strong, bold contemporary.

In Watertown, just outside Boston is Casa de Pedro, a must Venezuelan bistro. Pedro is warm and welcoming, food is fresh and lively. Many Latin diners always.

Bon Appetit!

Ann

Ann, I've never tried Lotus Blossum. I've just always assumed it's typical suburban Chinese restaurant blah. But I'm going to try it now, sounds interesting. Thanks for the tip!

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all. Longtime urbanite, most recently ex-DC, soon to transfer to the Boston commuter belt. Haven't been able to find much discussion of anything West of Blue Ginger on the board and wondered if anyone had any local favorites to recommend. Have heard good things about Oga's in Natick and one friend talked up Sky in Sudbury. Own experience so far limited to a decent dinner at John Stone's in Ashland. Ambitious pub food and good beer on a pleasant patio.

Try Maxwell's 148 in Natick....pricey...but good....very unlikely spot.

• 4 weeks later...

Oga's is wonderful from soup to nuts (figuratively speaking). One of my best friends and I, sushi addicts both, embarrassed the heck out of my husband there once, our exclamations of delight were so numerous and possibly, um, loud.

John Harvard's in Natick is a small NE chain, but the food is really good pub style food and their site-brewed beers are always delicious (root beer too!). If they have the butterscotch pudding on the menu, by all means partake! Plus, there's a nice patio, although the view is of the parking lot.

In Worcester, I highly recommend Boyton's pizza, right across from the WPI campus. I recommend ordering the seafood pizza and any combination with eggplant. It's a student hang-out, so it's noisy, but I've never been disappointed in their terrific pizza.

You say I am mysterious. Let me explain myself. In a land of oranges, I am faithful to apples. ~ Elsa Gidlow