• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Origins of 151 rum?

mbanu

Most 151 proof rum that I know of on the market today is used simply as a floater garnish on tropical drinks.

But how was 151 proof rum originally marketed? I'm guessing the floater idea came around after 151 proof rum became available, not the other way around... and at 75.5% alcohol by volume, it's a bit too harsh to drink straight like its lower proof cousins... I can see white 151 proof rum being used as an antiseptic and preservative, but how does the aged stuff come into play?? How did that come to market? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Originally overproof rums were clear, raw spirits, straight from the still. The aged, or colored, varieties are a relatively new. The first overproof rums were marketed they were demanded by consumers.

On the Caribbean island of Culebra, aged overproof rum, which is used on other islands as part of their blend, is called Jack Iron and is about all you'll be served when you go to a rum shot and order rum. This 80% alcohol is aged one to three years in Trinidad but Carriacou is the only island where you can buy it straight from the barrel.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.