• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Winery Restaurants

jamiemaw

Seems we're all fanning out around the province now that the weather looks 'hotter than Tamara Taggart in culottes'*. Any reports about dining in various of the winery dining rooms or on their terraces: on the Island, Gulf Islands, Okanagan or Fraser Valley?

Oh yes, did they serve only their own wines or that of others as well? And did they (bonus round) happen to serve ice cold beer?

Your reports here, please.

* --Keith Talent, March 17, 2003 at Chatters' Restaurant, Richmond, BC, referring to Chef Sven's incandescent Swedish curry.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

I've had a couple of meals at the bistro at Domaine de Chaberton. Simple and hearty French fare paired up solely with Chaberton's wines. It is very popular with locals so reso's are important and unfortunately they do not have any beer on the menu although I saw afew six packs hidden amongst the barrels to quench the winemakers thirst after a day of tasting. Helen and I really enjoy packing our own picnic lunches and sitting in the vineyard at Township 7. A couple of Aussi friends just came back from two days in the Okanagan and enjoyed dinner at Summerhill and lunch at the new restaurant at Cedar Creek. I'll get details from them - they did not mention beer (highly unusual for Australians)

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

The best I've had in th OK is The Cellar Door Bistro at Sumac Ridge, although definately not the best patio. Last time I was there I had a large plate of wild mushroom risotto which was delicious and the cost was only$10.95!!!

The most over rated in my opinion was the Sonora Room at Burrowing Owl. Although I think they produce some of the best wine in BC, I was less than impressed at our meal there last fall.

Although not a winery, but in wine country, The Heritage Inn in Naramata is excellent. Another good spot is Old Vines at Quails Gate.

Derek

The timing of this thread is splendid, as Ian and I are heading up to the Okanagan in about 2 1/2 weeks to celebrate our anniversary.

As we'll be staying at the Naramata Heritage Inn for two nights, would you recommend dinner at the Wine Bar or the Dining Room? Our other intended culinary stops are dinner at Fresco and lunch at Burrowing Owl on the way back, and we've yet to choose a lunch spot for Sunday afternoon.

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

My mum and I had a really delicious meal at Burrowing Owl's Sonora Room last month: good, fresh ingredients, well prepared; excellent wine; good service. The surroundings weren't really luxe or anything, but we wouldn't hesitate to return...that was my first time eating there, and my mother's second; maybe we were lucky. Or maybe I'm just indulgent with anyone who can properly sear a duck breast :wink:

I can't remember if they had others' wines on the list.

Edited for piss-poor spelling-in-a-hurry.

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

The timing of this thread is splendid, as Ian and I are heading up to the Okanagan in about 2 1/2 weeks to celebrate our anniversary.

As we'll be staying at the Naramata Heritage Inn for two nights, would you recommend dinner at the Wine Bar or the Dining Room?  Our other intended culinary stops are dinner at Fresco and lunch at Burrowing Owl on the way back, and we've yet to choose a lunch spot for Sunday afternoon.

You should check out the Vintropolis Wine Bar in Kelowna.. It is the original of the one on West 1st. Good selection of domestic and imported wines by the glass and interesting appies.

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I had dinner at Burrowing Owl two weeks ago. I believe that they were offering 2 or 3 wines by the glass from another local winery, and the remainder were from their own vineyards. I did not notice any beer.

The restaurant is situated overlooking a valley filled with vineyards and orchards, and has a wraparound balcony affording a fabulous view. Throw in a sunset and balmy wind and you have the start of a great meal. They are currently building a small inn, which would make a great weekend getaway spot.

I started with Duck liver parfait with a prune sauce, garnished with pickled cherries made in-house. The cherries were soft and tart, and were a great companion to the triangles of what was basically a dense foie gras. Had a glass of their ubiquitous Pinot Gris.

Next: Pan Seared Duck Breast seasoned with Jamaican spice, ribbonned with a rum scented reduction & garnished with mission figs and corn fritters; glass of Burrowing Owl Syrah. This came with a very generous dish of fresh local vegetables sweated in some butter; my favourite was the starchy licorice of the fennel. Highlight: sopping up the remaining rum reduction with the figs!

Finally: East Indian Chai Infused Creme Brulée served with a lavender short-bread cookie. I really did not have room for this, but that is an old story! Oddly enough, my favourite part of this dessert was the cookie, which was speckled with lavender flowers and filled my mouth with their scent. I would guess the flowers were sourced from across the way where there is a very pretty lavender farm.

This was a favourite meal in a week of meals from Osoyoos to Naramata!

Edited by vsrachel (log)

We regularly visit the bistro at the Domaine de Chaberton and it has a very solid and consistent kitchen. Last time it was the mussels with chorizo followed by a young duck braised with savoy cabbage. Both were superb.

On a recent road trip to test the new wheels we ended at the Mission Hill winery near Kelowna on a gorgeous day for lunch and had a brilliant meal. A warm duck liver salad followed by a roast pork loin in an apple and white wine reduction. Both superb - and the setting outside is of course very difficult to beat.

You should check out the Vintropolis Wine Bar in Kelowna.. It is the original of the one on West 1st. Good selection of domestic and imported wines by the glass and interesting appies.

Stephen

To Stephen's mention of Vintropolis I would also add Waterfront (it's not) Wine Bar (next door to Bouchons) which has a crack little menu, a nifty wine store next door, and cold beer!

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

I'm pretty sure most BC winery restaurants are prevented by regulation from serving alchohol other than wine. I believe estate winery designation means that you can only serve your own wines.

Cheers,

Anne

I'm pretty sure most BC winery restaurants are prevented by regulation from serving alchohol other than wine.  I believe estate winery designation means that you can only serve your own wines.

The Cellar door at Sumac Ridge has (had? ..when I was there anyways) a full-on liquor license, as it was a golf course clubhouse before it was a winery. There is no excuse for not serving beer in wine country.

As we'll be staying at the Naramata Heritage Inn for two nights, would you recommend dinner at the Wine Bar or the Dining Room?

I recommend the Wine Bar, especially if they've got the live entertainment going. I found the food to be very good, and the atmosphere was fun, especially once the wine was flowing. I didn't eat in the Dining Room, but it looked rather "fancy". I'm sure the food there would be good too.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

I'm pretty sure most BC winery restaurants are prevented by regulation from serving alchohol other than wine.  I believe estate winery designation means that you can only serve your own wines.

The Cellar door at Sumac Ridge has (had? ..when I was there anyways) a full-on liquor license, as it was a golf course clubhouse before it was a winery. There is no excuse for not serving beer in wine country.

Tell that to the regulators.

Cheers,

Anne

If any egullet readers are out in the Fraser Valley this weekend let me know. Helen and I are doing lunch on Sunday at Domaine de Chaberton then off to buy wine for a restaurant at Township 7 and Glenugie.

Cheers,

Stephen

MY BLOG

For those interested, this morning's Vancouver Sun's travel section is a wealth of information of wines in our backyard - the Fraser Valley. I have to say that my favorite is the Township 7 - no dining area though, but I had some great pate and cheeses at their Naramata property while barrel sampling during this Spring's winefest.

Gastronomista

Vinoteca, the restaurant at Zanatta winery in Duncan, serves no beer and only its own wines and some pretty fine food. This place is a really nice stop. Just don't drink the red.

And a swim in the Cowichan river is recommended.

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee

i didn't write that book, but i did pass 8th grade without stress. and i'm a FCAT for sure.

quick question....

so the bistro at domaine de chaberton is definitely a go?  i'm thinking of doing a quite birthday dinner there for my partner. 

thanks!

I've been 3X. Just don't do what I did the first time...ordered 2 appetizers, one main, and dessert. Portions are big and with all mains you get vegetables that come on separate plates which are not side orders, but meals on their own. Be prepared to feast.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

quick question....

so the bistro at domaine de chaberton is definitely a go?  i'm thinking of doing a quite birthday dinner there for my partner. 

thanks!

Frederic Desbiens is a very good cook and well-used to making speacial celebratory menus. Mind you, his his regular menu is very good as well and I think reasonably priced. Combine with a visit to Township 7.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

thank you, jamie and butter! i did take a look at the menu and it looks very intriguing. i think that we will stick to the regular menu instead of asking for a special menu, as there is so much to choose from!

thanks for the tip, butter, i shall make sure that we don't over order, although, we do like to be gluttons at times! :biggrin: we are also planning on going to township 7 and glenugie to check out their vineyards, so we will be working up a healthy appetite!

Edited by makanmakan (log)

Quentina

As we'll be staying at the Naramata Heritage Inn for two nights, would you recommend dinner at the Wine Bar or the Dining Room?

We stayed at the Naramata Inn for 4 nights in May while doing an OK wine tour. Ate both at the Wine Bar and the dining room. The wine bar is a great place on Friday night as they have live jazz, making for a very buzzy atmosphere. They make fabulouse breads. Food is ok.

We had a wonderful 6 course tasting menu in the dining room. Fabulous atmosphere with a seat by the window, and one of the best cheese soups I have ever eaten. Great service as well. Also the wine menu features the 2001 Oysoyoos LaRose which is a difficult if not impossible wine to buy and absolutely wonderful to taste.

We had a great time wine tasting on the Naramata Bench as well as the Golden Mile.

Also the spa at the Naraamata Inn does one of the best pedicures I have ever had! :biggrin:

Life is short, eat dessert first

Helen, myself, and two friends had a great lunch on Sunday at Domaine de Chaberton.

All appies were between $6-$8 other than the very generous portion of foie gras at $16.

The entree's are substantial in size, a good thing, to help wash down two bottles of white. All entress were priced between $12-$21.

My biggest issue! the wines were marked up 100% over the wine shop retail price...no wonder only 1 in 3 tables were drinking wine. I'm all for profits but I expected a better deal on the wine prices and I do remember them being alot less last year.

Stephen

MY BLOG

• 2 weeks later...

after a weekend of birthday celebrations (his), i'm here to report on our lovely trip out to the valley. we stopped in at township 7 on our way to domaine de chaberton to check out their facilities. a small store but we were taken care of by a wonderfully friendly lady. we both have had the merlot and the merlot/cab blends so it was great to taste the other wines that they produce. ended up leaving with 2 bottles of their lovely rose.

we arrived at domaine de chaberton too late for the last tour but had fun tasting in the store, nevertheless. we had a little time before our dinner reservation so we took a glass each of the gerwurztraminer and meritage and sat out on a picnic table enjoying the sun and the quietness of being out of the city. the glasses of wines at the wine store were a good deal at $4 a glass for the house wines and $6 a glass for the varietals, and were a generous pour as well.

we still had a half of glass of our wines left and brought it to our table. luckily, we got a table on the patio, beautiful, with the vineyard right beside us. we had a fabulous server named katie. i had forgotten about butter's warning about the huge portions and we both ordered starters and mains! and we also noted, as stephen mentioned, that the wines in the restaurant was marked up considerably. quite the difference from the wine shop prices! here's my partner's write up about our dinner...

"French onion soup, generous portion, broth slightly sweet(onions?) Large amount of gruyere cheese baked to perfection.

caesar salad very capery lots of citrus. Mix of red and green romaine. Topped w/ a slice of toasted baguette with oka cheese melted on top.

Wines: pinot gris, scented much like the Bachus with tones of lychee and muscat, coloured the same, but still finished w/crisp green taste typical of pinot gris

Gamay noir, lighter bodied, spicy, so much that you expect it to break out in bubbles. Very earthy, perfect match with the lamb.

Mains:

Veal medalions, served in a light cream mixed wild mushroom ragout. Earthy, delicately spiced, on a bed of wilted spinach. Side dish of roasted new potatoes baked with butter, broth, fresh thyme, chives, exquisite

Braised lamb shank w/ a light tomato and garlic sauce with the lighted hint of a perfectly spiced curry. Cooked to perfection, meat fell right off the bone and melted in our mouths. Topped with perfectly braised tomato concasse, garlic chunks, mini pearl onions and summer squash. Accompianed with a mango chutney

All portions very generous, to the point where I wished they were smaller so I could enoy more than one shared desert.

Dessert was a soft meringue topped with caramel and almond resting on a sea of creme anglais. We joked that it was much like a sabayon just before folding.

Katie our server rocked. She was exceptionally efficient with a fantastic sense of humour. Even started joking with me when we ordered the lamb and started quoting the simpsons episode with the lamb saying: doooon't eat me lisa."

we left with a bottle of the gewurztraminer and the wine maker's special box of four wines - gamay noir, cabernet sauvignon, barrel reserve syrah, and barrel reserve merlot.

we definitely will be back to bacchus and will also check out the other vineyards in the area, glenugie, lotusland and fort wine co.

Quentina