• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pret a Manger in NYC?

stellabella

I am sampling lunch from one outlet right now.  Those chips certainly are thick.

My impression from one visit: the concept, themes and approach are the same as the UK chain.  The sandwiches are the same, except for the filling and the bread.  :confused:

A couple of the fillings may be common with the UK stores - BLT, certainly; coronation chicken, perhaps - but most have been devised for a New York market.  "New York Brunch",  "Pastrami on Rye", "Turkey Club" - well, maybe they showed up in the UK after I left, but they are far from typical Pret a Manger offerings.  The destination PaM sandwich in the UK was, for me, always the fresh poached salmon; here, I only see smoked salmon and spinach.  I also perceive that the typical fillings here are layered and less moist than the UK norm - where the ingredients are often mixed rather than laid on separately.

And the bread.  Rye, rye, everywhere.  Okay, there do seem to be some multi-grain options too - more like the UK - but the UK chain actually had some intersting breads, cut from real loaves - I mean, the slices weren't square!

I am not particularly enjoying the BLT I am eating right now.  The bread is a little dried out.  But a sandwich chain deserves more than one sampling ($7.49 for sandwich, chips and soda, which seems about average for Midtown).

Wilfrid, are these chips crisps or frites?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

are these chips crisps or frites?

they are american-style chips. crisps, i suppose. the american menus differ a lot from the UK shops from what i can tell. nyc prets are free of the so-called "miracle mayo" that adorns some of brit sandwiches. for that i am thankfull. the name alone scares me. just about anything with avocado is good there, especially the avocado-bacon.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

Yes, I was echoing bpearis's reference to potato chips.  I do speak fluent American now, as you can see.

That bread yesterday was unforgivably dried out, and someone had furiously shaken salt and pepper over the sandwich.  I have quality control concerns.  Never had that in a UK outlet.

• 1 month later...

Here's the latest report on Pret a Manger's American bid, from today's Guardian, with input from NY food historian Andy Smith: http://www.guardian.co.uk/Print/0,3858,4478330,00.html

Edit: I've only just noticed that this is apparently condensed from the New Yorker story that this topic started with. My apologies. But since the original was not available online, this may still be of interest.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

I'm a fan of the Thai Chicken and the Avacado-Bacon, myself. Thier key lime pie is pretty good too, as is their thick-cut potato chips.

The key lime pie is from Steve's, who operates out of Red Hook, Brooklyn and has FABULOUS key lime pies. Glad to see they are taking advantage of the local baking talent.

I like Pret a lot. They were great to have around when I was visiting London & needed quick, cheap lunches and I'm glad that they're here. I do wish they had some of the British varieties though (like prawn salad and poached salmon).

It will be interesting to see what Claudia Fleming does with the chain.

I agree, it's a pity they're not at least trying some of the British fillings. But now there's a branch right near me, I use it a lot. Decent bread, good, quick service, and in the end I just appreciate a lighter style of sandwich than the two-pounds-of-cold-cuts deli style.

I agree, it's a pity they're not at least trying some of the British fillings.  But now there's a branch right near me, I use it a lot.  Decent bread, good, quick service, and in the end I just appreciate a lighter style of sandwich than the two-pounds-of-cold-cuts deli style.

They had more British-y sandwiches when the first Pret opened in the financial district, but changed around quickly when they weren't flying off the shelves. Poached salmon sounds good, though.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith