• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Butcher Shops In Bergen County

For 70 bucks, you could almost buy 1 16oz Wagyu strip from this Allen Brothers catalog I got in the mail today. 4-16oz strips are $339.95. Ouch. I like wasting money on food, but that is crazy.

So, who is up for a Wagyu-Whole Foods strip steak-Omaha steak comparo? Actually, it might be a fun idea...

A

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Hi Tommy, Just got home from a late dinner. Thanks for the pictures. You got exactly what I told you earlier. Retail they call this cut top sirloin while in the trade we called it top butt. It is actually a boneless hip. It is used mainly for a cheaper roast beef. Sliced real thin on a slicing machine it can be just okay but it is really a terrible cut for steak and should not be sold for that. Also, it does not look like prime meat to me though it is not fair of me to make that judgement from a photo. When I looked back at their ad I did notice that they said sirloin steak and not sirloin strip which makes a big difference. Again my friend, you get what you pay for. For your information the cheapest PRIME sirloin strip steaks I have seen lately was $21.00 at Fairway on 125th St. Anything less has to be choice or lower.

Hank

thanks for that info, hank.

as soon as i saw them i knew it wasn't a "sirlion steak" as i'm used to seeing them. i figured it came from a funny part of the animal, but in a way that it could be called "sirloin".

i'm sure they played games with the naming, as the convention is so butchered (ha ha) to begin with. i doubt, however, that they'd sell choice as prime. it might be low-grade prime, but i have to think it was prime.

regardless, the prime shell steaks were very good. and the choice t-bone from Stop and Shop (4.99/lb) wasn't that bad at all either.

Well, I have Mr. Weber kettle and a sack of hardwood charcoal on my deck...the only downside is you would have to eat at my place :biggrin:

I'm in--strictly as a voyeur. :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I'm in--strictly as a voyeur.  :biggrin:

carnivoyeur?

Okay, you officially are DA MAN (for the day) for that one, Tommy!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Oh, thats just masochistic, watching all that delicious red meat clogging our arteries. Did I mention that the Wagyu cows here in the states eat beer and liquor mash?? Mmmmmm, liquor mash :biggrin:

Look at that delicious marbling...

Oh, thats just masochistic, watching all that delicious red meat clogging our arteries.

Not masochistic...just budget conscious! :biggrin: Perhaps I'll have the 12.99/lb ones while you two indulge on the serious stuff.

Beer and liquor mash...b/c it's less filling for you and Tommy to imbibe that way, right?!? :wink: