• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheese on a stick?

vhilts

I'm looking for something that is fairly common on the Left coast and at mid-western state fairs but not so here in the East...

Cheese on a stick.. like hot dog on a stick but a stick of butter size hunk of cheddar dipped in a hot dog type batter and deep fried...with yellow mustard...delicious...

now if I could only find some on the East coast...any help out there?

I can only tell you that I haven't seen cheese on a stick up here, but I was so in the mood for it a few months ago that I made my own version at home. I took some mild cheddar, cut it into stamp like squares, about 1/2 oz each. Then I dipped them in an egg wash, then some well seasoned bread crumbs, and I sauteed them in a skillet with a spritz of vegetable/olive oil. They were delicious! I served them with a huge amount of chopped fresh parsley on top, slices of plum tomatoes to layer with, and brown mustard on the side for dipping. OM, OM, they were good! I think they would have been good with pesto or tomato sauce, too.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I'm looking for something that is fairly common on the Left coast and at mid-western state fairs but not so here in the East...

Cheese on a stick.. like hot dog on a stick but a stick of butter size hunk of cheddar dipped in a hot dog type batter and deep fried...with yellow mustard...delicious...

A week too late. They were serving these at the Meadowlands Fair, but sadly the fair is over until next year. My friend got one, but I passed. It looked like a huge cube of mozzarella ( I guess it could have been cheddar or a mixture) in some type of batter. He enjoyed it. I don't know where else you could find these, but you can always try the fair next year!

Edited by zhelder (log)

A week too late. They were serving these at the Meadowlands Fair, but sadly the fair is over until next year. My friend got one, but I passed. It looked like a huge cube of mozzarella ( I guess it could have been cheddar or a mixture) in some type of batter. He enjoyed it. I don't know where else you could find these, but you can always try the fair next year!

good to know that at least they're in NJ even if only "seasonally"...can't believe that they're not more popular here tho'...I think a well deserved addition to the menus of the many hot dog meccas in the Garden State...