• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mangos, Mangos on the savory side

Richard Kilgore

There is a thread in the Pastry & Baking Forum on Mangos, precipitated by me coming home with a flat of mangos, that is turning up lots of good ideas including some savory ones. So you can go to this thread in Pastry & Baking --- and we can use this thread to discuss savory ideas for cooking with mangos.

What are your favorite ways to cook with mangos? Do you use different varieties in different ways?

Do you use different varieties in different ways?

a random thought struck:

i've heard of people (who are lucky enough to have

access to all the different glorious mango varieties

in india) having a "mango board" like a "cheese board"

where you taste different slices and compare the taste....

you can really distinguish the creamy incomparable alphonso

vs. the more tart and firm dassehri; and how the langda

is different from those two etc etc etc only three and dozens to go.....

totapuris are more sour and considered inferior and used for cooking....

no idea what mango varieties are available in the US, like many

others i've only seen the flats of champagne mangos

in indian and hispanic stores.

i think madhur jaffrey has an article in the latest saveur on

different varieties of us available mangoes....

milagai

I did a salad once with cubed mango, feta chunks, diced red onion, chili flakes, and, just for fun, some red Hawaiian sea salt. At Christmas year before last, we had a similar thing with just prawns, mango, and chili (bottled chili dressing this time, mum got it from New Idea or something).

Another savory thing to do with mangoes is to make 'country captain' chicken -- I tried the one from "The Best Recipe" and it was quite good.

It's not really mango season here yet, though we have some from Mexico in the shops. I did have some unsweetened dried mango yesterday, which made an excellent snack with beer. :)

Mango is great with smoked foods. Try a sandwich of smoked chicken and sliced mango with a herb mayonnaise. The trick is to balance the sweet and savory flavors. Raisin/walnut bread is great if you prefer to lean sweeter; a poppy or sesame crusted loaf takes you in the other direction.

mango salsa is my favourite but sometimes i use them in a nice Indian curry in the cold months.

to blow the idea that indian "curry" is a cold weather heavy food,

i've added several light indian mango savory dishes.

each dish has its own name, i.e. no catch all "curry" terminology here.

i hope i can get the link right:

http://recipes.egullet.org/dosearch.php?st=mine

in case the link does not work, the titles of the recipes are:

mango more kuzhambu, mango pachadi and mango kalan,

or search by my screen name.

they are variations on the theme of mango + spiced buttermilk

and are all different from each other. these are typical south indian

dishes and i know there are yummy gujarati and bengali variations

on these too, but i'm getting lazy re entering the recipes in.

these are originally eaten with rice, but they work very well with

the entire chapati / roti spectrum, and i think will adapt to a more

eclectic menu also....

i adore mangoes in savory dishes, salsa, salad, chaat,

whether the mangoes are ripe or unripe....

milagai

Haven't tried this at home, but I've always loved Mango Chicken @ restaurants. If I am to make it at home, I imagaine that I would stir fry chicken with mango chucks, red onion and jalepeno peppers.

Haven't tried this at home, but I've always loved Mango Chicken @ restaurants. If I am to make it at home, I imagaine that I would stir fry chicken with mango chucks, red onion and jalepeno peppers.

I've never set out intentionally to make Mango Chicken, but once threw underripe frozen mango cubes (they had been bought to use in desserts but were too sour) into a chicken stir-fry. Trying to remember what sauce I used.... probably added some hoisin sauce for a touch of sweetness/richness. It turned out pretty well.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs