• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Calistoga?

annadev

Is Wappo really no more?  I will be there with my son in mid-August...what do people suggest?

We were there in April and Wappo was open then.

Personally, I was very sad that Catahoula closed at the begining of the year. Also, what used to be the smokehouse, is now a Spanish (tapas) restaurant.

We had dinner at All Seasons and quite enjoyed our meal. One of the desserts was even "deconstructed", which was amusing to run into in Calistoga. We also had a nice breakfast at Hydro.

-Erik

edited to add link to Wappo's website.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Heard some good things about Stomp (in the old Catahoula space in the Mt. View Hotel) just last week from a St. Helena resident who works at a Calistoga winery. It's on our list to try next time we're up.

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Haven't tried Stomp, but I too hear good things about it. Be forewarned, Calistoga in August is HOT - average high is in the low-90s.

Yes, indeedy, it is quite warm up there.

I was in St. Helena a couple days last week, and the high temps were over 100 both days. It's a dry heat, though!

:laugh:

It was good to get back under my fog blanket!

-Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Did Wappo really close? It was one of my favorites, as was Catahoula's. Hey,90 degrees is nothin, we've been experiencing 108 degree weather here in the Central Valley. Can't wait to get over to the PNW for a couple of weeks! :)

annadev,

I found some articles that jogged my memory.

For a while the Wappo folks were running a latin american style restaurant in the train station (where the smokehouse was) called Wappo Taco. They have since re-themed the menu to more global latin cuisine and re-named that restaurant Fuentes Tapas.

That might have been what you heard about.

-Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA