• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ADNY (Alain Ducasse @ Essex House)

MobyP

Sounds like a good fit. The St. Regis/Lespinasse space is up to the standard of a Ducasse restaurant in a way that the Essex House space never could be, and there's a kitchen space to match. The dining room at Plaza Athenee in Paris is actually somewhat reminiscent of Lespinasse. I wonder if they'll make it over along similar lines.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Of course right after I posted that, a frind told me this news - apparently the new place will be much more casual, although they are trying to retain the same team and management.

I have trouble believing Ducasse would want to relinquish the 3rd Michelin star. His past comments suggest he wants to regain the 4th NY Times star. The fact that Esnault is remaining with the restaurant is consistent with this.

The move's timing makes sense, too. They get the fall holiday revenues, close during the January doldrums, then re-open in time to make the 2008 Michelin guide.

Edited by oakapple (log)

I agree with oakapple. The idea of giving up stars is not consistant with moving into the Lespinasse space at The St. Regis. If it becomes more informal, it might be in the way that El Bulli is informal.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I believe the real impetus for this was the change in management at the hotel. When Ducasse signed up the Essex House was a Starwood property. Now it isn't.

No surprise that he is going to the St. Regis, another Starwood property.

Edited by sammy (log)

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

• 1 month later...

That's amateurgourmet's best piece ever. Really good stuff. Reminiscent of the New Yorker ADNY comic (in a rare exercise of self-deprecation, they have it posted in the bathroom).

I haven't yet found a really reliable source on the plans for Ducasse's St. Regis restaurant. For the past couple of years I'd been hearing that they wanted to get out of the Essex House and find a more worthy space for a three-star-type restaurant. Now I'm hearing that only a small number of Ducasse's people will be sent over to staff the St. Regis place -- a move that would argue against the St. Regis restaurant being a Ducasse signature restaurant and would put it more on the level of one of the second tier Ducasse places like Mix in Las Vegas (which, amazingly, is the sixth most profitable independent restaurant in America, according to R&I). Then again the talented Tony Esnault will be the chef, so who knows?

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I got the impression when I talked to the staff last weekend that the new restaurant would be more casual than the present one, more wine and consumer friendly, and that Alain Ducasse hoped to open a more formal restaurant in New York in 2008. Also, the three chief members of the staff notably Tony Esnault, the head sommelier, and general manager are all expected to be at the new restaurant in the St. Regis.

I will ask for more info when I return for dinner this coming Friday.

That's amateurgourmet's best piece ever. Really good stuff. Reminiscent of the New Yorker ADNY comic (in a rare exercise of self-deprecation, they have it posted in the bathroom).

I haven't yet found a really reliable source on the plans for Ducasse's St. Regis restaurant. For the past couple of years I'd been hearing that they wanted to get out of the Essex House and find a more worthy space for a three-star-type restaurant. Now I'm hearing that only a small number of Ducasse's people will be sent over to staff the St. Regis place -- a move that would argue against the St. Regis restaurant being a Ducasse signature restaurant and would put it more on the level of one of the second tier Ducasse places like Mix in Las Vegas (which, amazingly, is the sixth most profitable independent restaurant in America, according to R&I). Then again the talented Tony Esnault will be the chef, so who knows?

it's not 6th highest in profit, its 6th highest in total sales.

big difference.

Right. Gross sales is the measure. Profitability does tend to follow, but not necessarily in lock step.

I got the impression when I talked to the staff last weekend that the new restaurant would be more casual than the present one, more wine and consumer friendly, and that  Alain Ducasse hoped to open a more formal  restaurant in New York in 2008.  Also, the three chief members of the staff notably Tony Esnault, the head sommelier, and general manager are all expected to be at the new restaurant in the St. Regis.

It's hard to imagine that the senior staff (including Esnault) would all be going to the St. Regis, if the objective were not to continue to offer a Michelin 3-star product.

• 5 weeks later...

Eater reports that the closure of ADNY on New Year's Eve will be permanent, and the restaurant will not open in the St. Regis. Take this with the usual boulder of salt that attends an unattributed rumor.

If you want to join what could be the last supper, here's how it's described on OpenTable:

Ring in the New Year with Chef Ducasse's final menu at Alain Ducasse at the Essex House. An illustrious 10-course dinner, with delicacies of truffles, caviar and spiny lobster, will begin at 8:30pm for $480 per person with 10% of food and beverage revenues donated to Citymeals on wheels. Champagne toast at midnight included, all other beverages, tax and gratuity are additional.

• 2 months later...

Via Grub Street, rumors of Ducasse's permanent exit were exaggerated. Per Ducasse's London PR firm, "Alain Ducasse Group adds two new members":

The restaurant due to open in March will have one of the finest addresses in the world, in the heart of Manhattan at the corner of Fifth Avenue and 55th Street, The St. Regis Hotel, New York. "My ambition for the St. Regis in New York is to create a wine and culinary experience with a resolutely unique approach" stated Chef Alain Ducasse. Masterfully utilizing the freshest seasonal ingredients, Executive Chef Tony Esnault is to combine his renowned rich textures and new flavours with one of the most extensive wine collections in existence.
The other restaurant mentioned in the press release will open in September in London's Dorchester Hotel.

The press release is dated February 21st, which suggests that plans for a March opening in New York must be rather far along.

Berry Bros. & Rudd is a wine shop, not a PR firm. I'm not exactly sure how it became the vehicle for this news item, which appears too short to be a Ducasse press release. I'll check into it.

I don't think this is anything more than a recycling of the September 2006 press release, which contains substantially the same language quoted above.

WOW, I had not looked at the actual "PR firm press release" until FG mentioned it. Yes...Berry Bros & Rudd is perhaps the most established of the London wine merchants. They have nothing to do with PR---they are comparable to Sherry Lehman or even Zachys except they've been a London establishment for generations. This is recycled stuff they got from some press release as FG says, probably back last September. Nothing new here.

Edited by DutchMuse (log)