• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bread places that don't sell bread

eatrustic

After popping into Vintropolis (the B.C. wine store on W. 1st) to pick up a nice Rose (they, by the way, are surprisingly well priced with a nice selection of inexpensive B.C. wines) I decided to grab a loaf of bread at Pane From Heaven. Well, I guess Heaven has stopped delivering as they no longer sell bread and apparently haven't for the last three months.

By default I thought I would try the relatively newly renovated Bread Gardens to see what they might have. Again, just mediocre take out food and no bread.

Has Cobbs taken over to the extent that local bread places are having to eliminate their reason for opening in the first place?

In the case of Pane From Heaven (and Pane Formaggio on W. 10th) the selection of breads and baked goods borrowed heavily from Ecco il Pane recipes that a former baker took with him when he left and perhaps he just decided to return them!!!

As for the new Bread Gardens I don't give them a year.

Has Cobbs taken over to the extent that local bread places are having to eliminate their reason for opening in the first place?

Some might argue that Cobs doesn't sell bread either. :raz:

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Some might argue that Cobs doesn't sell bread either. :raz:

:biggrin::biggrin: Laughing my ass off. I had a piece of Cobb's bread. It was not my favourite. I asked my wife why we had it and it was simple. Cobbs had eye appeal to my five year old. Once he had it, he asked me where we could get a nice Tuscan Loaf. Even he realized it was not up to par. Too bad. So much potential. ( The bread, not the kid ) :biggrin::biggrin:

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

On a bread note I wonder what ever happened to the very tasty Polaine raisin bread that was baked at Urban Fare? None of the staff to seem to have an answer other than the price was steep. We really do need some genuine artisan bread makers here in the downtown core. There's some great bread made out in South Surrey but it's not sold in the city as far as I know.

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

...I wonder what ever happened to the very tasty Polaine raisin bread that was baked at Urban Fare? None of the staff to seem to have an answer other than the price was steep...

I thought the Polaine bread was flown in from Paris; hence the steep price.

M. et Mme. Polaine died tragically in a plane crash a year or two ago. :sad:

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

There's some great bread made out in South Surrey but it's not sold in the city as far as I know.

Could you share the name of the S.S. bakery? Unfortunately people I know there seem to think they are lucky to have a Cobbs now in the area. :huh: Would be nice to know of a better alternative, hopefully that won't be overtaken by Cobbs.

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Not far from both Bread Garden and Pane from Heaven (who, by the waystopped making bread because the poor owners were up half the night baking it and were not make any money on it) is Patisserie Lebeau on 1728 West 2nd avenue. Amazing waffles, the best brie and chicken sandwiches AND wonderful take home bread.

Gastronomista

There's some great bread made out in South Surrey but it's not sold in the city as far as I know.

Could you share the name of the S.S. bakery? Unfortunately people I know there seem to think they are lucky to have a Cobbs now in the area. :huh: Would be nice to know of a better alternative, hopefully that won't be overtaken by Cobbs.

The one that I remember is Fieldstone Artisan Bakery on128th and Crescent Road. I have not been there for a while but the bread was very good.

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I just wanted to write a quick note in defense of Cobs. I volunteer once a week for an organization that makes sandwiches for the homeless (about 800-900 each time) and 99% of our bread is made from donated Cobs Bread. I know that Cobs donates to many other such organizations as well. I suppose I could be cynical (the bread would be thrown out anyway or that large chains create the market conditions that create such social/economic problems) but we do appreciate the donations. The bread is usually only a day old and makes good, hearty, sandwiches. Yes, Cobs has become quite a pervasive presence in Vancouver and specializes in a fairly "mass market" product but their success has given them the type of volume that allows them to donate the number of loaves needed to make the many sandwiches needed for Vancouver's needy. And for that reason, I feel like I need to make a public service announcement in defense of Cobs.

My message is not intended to inflict guilt on all those who have made disparaging Cobs Bread comments, nor to claim that the chain rivals other more "artisan" bakeries. However, just to keep in mind that ubiquity can sometimes have its benefits.

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."

~ Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Tara Lee

Literary and Culinary Rambles

http://literaryculinaryrambles.blogspot.com

I just went down to Fieldstone Artisan Bakery yesterday. They have a amazing facility and are obviously very serious about their bread.

They use organic flours from California ("better quality, more reliable source, good price") and offer loaves and baguettes that offer an excellent crust and a pleasant quality overall. To my opinion though, there is a serious lack of depth in terms of flavour. Dunno if that's caused by too short fermentation times?...

They used to sell to Capers but have stopped supplying them a while ago. This saddened me at the time as i liked their bread better than Terra's or Ecco's. It looks like the neighbourhood provides them with enough business, which is great for South Surrey!

Check them out at www.fieldstonebread.com

The one that I remember is Fieldstone Artisan Bakery on128th and Crescent Road. I have not been there for a while but the bread was very good.

Stephen

Edited by edm (log)

Eddy M., Chef & Owner

Se.ed Artisan Foods, Vancouver BC

Follow Se.ed's growth at: http://spaces.msn.com/members/fromseedtofood/