• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pistachios

Macarons&Mozart

I have noticed that wherever I see pistachios, in-shell or peeled, roasted or raw, they are not as nice and green as the ones I see in patisseries. The ones available to me are a dull brownish-green color. Is there a "patisserie-grade pistachio" that is not available to the home baker? Where can I find these pretty green pistachios?

Sorry if I was not clear enough. If you need me to elaborate, please say so.

Thanks!

Edited by Macarons&Mozart (log)

I've never noticed this before so I went to look at the ones in my dry storage. They look bright green to me, but with some brown patches here and there which look like left over skin stuck on. I buy them from Indian grocery stores in the pre-packaged bulk section. The one I go to charges $4.50/pound, though if you bought it in larger quantities, I'm sure they'd cut you a deal.

They look bright green to me, but with some brown patches here and there which look like left over skin stuck on.

Is this what you mean by "dull brownish-green colour"? If it is, cooksillustrated.com has instructions on getting rid of the extra skin which involves blanching. If you're interested, I can look up the instructions.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

As requested, here's what cooks illustrated suggests. (In my words, of course)Hope this helps. :)

Boil pistachios in a large pot of rapidly boiling water for about 3 minutes or until the skins start to loosen. Drain and dump into a bowl of cold water. After they've cooled a bit, remove the skins and lay the nuts out on a sheet pan lined with paper towel. Dry them completely on a sheet pan at 200F for 45 - 60 minutes. Remove before you can smell them begin to toast. You don't want them to take on any colour.

And that's it. I think this is how you'd get green pistachio macarons rather than brownish ones. I'm going to try it one day but it looks a bit time consuming.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

We have two different grades of pistachio at work. The dull, California pistachio, which tastes good and is used as an ingredient in items. And we get Iranian pistachios, which are much smaller, much much more expensive, and are a beautiful dark green.

I don't know if you can purchase those out in the civilian world, I've never seen them. We get them from one of our pastry purveyors...

Stephen W.

Pastry Chef/Owner

The Sweet Life Bakery

Vineland, NJ

I have noticed that wherever I see pistachios, in-shell or peeled, roasted or raw, they are not as nice and green as the ones I see in patisseries. The ones available to me are a dull brownish-green color. Is there a "patisserie-grade pistachio" that is not available to the home baker? Where can I find these pretty green pistachios?

Sorry if I was not clear enough. If you need me to elaborate, please say so.

Thanks!

You can get the Sicilian pistachios from Albert Uster Imports (auiswiss.com) but they are pohibitively expensive for home use.

Woods