• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

leftover morbier

Eden

A friend brought a HUGE chunk of morbier to my wine & cheese party on saturday, and I still have most of it leftover. Unfortunately, while I like morbier, my husband is a cheese weenie :shock: and there's a LOT more morbier here than I can finish off by myself in a timely fashion. (especially since I have leftovers of several other cheeses too)

so I'm thinking if it's cooked into a dish where he doesn't smell the morbier, just tastes it as part of a dish there's a better chance of it going over well & not going to waste.

Any suggestions?

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Freeze it

or Egg and breadcrumb  and deep  fry

or just eat it. It will keep for quite a while in tupperware in the fridge. Let it warm up befoe eating.

There is really just too much for me to eat without getting totally sick of the sight of it.

what will happen to it texturally if I freeze & later defrost it? I haven't had good experiences freeezing cheese thus far - is there a trick to it i'm missing?

mmm mac & chee mmm fried cheese.

eden why not make fromage fort with some milder cheeses thrown in?

1 pound left-over cheese at room temperature

1/4 cup dry white wine

3 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature

2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves

1 small clove garlic

Remove any rinds from hard cheeses. Grate hard cheeses and cut others into 1/2-inch cubes. Place cheese, wine, butter, herbs, and garlic in a food processor and blend until smooth, approximately 2 minutes. Serve immediately or refrigerate for at least 1 hour for a firmer consistency. This can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

Beat me to it. This is a standard for us (I hire caterers as part of my job, and frequently take home the leftover cheese) - we get raves every time we make it. You can use any herb you like if you don't have parsley on hand.

Ian

sounds tasty, and that way I can use up some of the leftover wine too - I think we have about 7 partial bottles lying around at this point!