• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Picnic Foods

little ms foodie

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite picnic treat (besides cold chicken, mmmm...) is french bread with cheese and chocolate.

Seriously delicious.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Picnic last Friday night. We brought melon cubes wrapped in proscuitto. Also Shrimp rolls. Think lobster rolls from Maine only with shrimp. toasted the hotdog buns earlier and let them cool. then brought the shrimp salad mixed and filled the rolls at the scene. Excellent.

Others brought thai chicken skewers, fritata and little sandwiches. treats from a kick ass local bakery were served for dessert. YUM!

We haven't been doing organized picnics but are pretty choosy about what we pack for an "excursion." A current favorite is a pressed sandwich made with my eggplant gratin. Most often I use the version without the sausage. We also almost always carry a batch of Texas Caviar. We have started eating the caviar with saltines instead of tortilla chips. Then we congratulate ourselves on having done good on eating our vegetables. :raz:

Using frozen bottles of water to keep the cooler cool is another trick I have picked up this summer.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 4 months later...
We have a few picnics coming up and I'd love some ideas on things that can be made the day before, kept and eaten cool. Of course pasta salads, cold chicken and cookies are standbys but what about some new fun ideas??

With Valentine's Day around the corner, I wanted to mention that one of the most romantic things is a little indoor Picnic. I do one every year, and we love it. While going out to eat is always fun, Valentine's day is more fun at home. Here is my suggestion:

1/2 bottle Veuve Cliquot - to get the evening started...

Combine with - 1/2 dozen oysters, the best would be little moonstones...

I don't think there is much in the world to compare to that combo but venture on...

(and I'm sure you know the easy opening trick. Stick them in the freezer for 1/2 an hour right before opening)

St. Andre cheese with a little dibble of proscuitto and raspberry jam on a thin slice of baguette

a lovely little salad of lobster, avocado, mango and herb with a light champagne viniagrette.

Next, open a nice bottle of Red - since it's Valentine's Day, how about a nice Cos D'esternal?

nibble on some bolder cheeses, using that baguette, couple it with a small filet mignon that you simpy roast at 350 degrees in butter, pepper, and finish with a little fleur de sel. Slice it thin. Eat it with your fingers.

Why bother with dessert

Just a thought for a little indoor or outdoor picnic.

• 5 months later...
My favorite dish to make for a picnic is lentil salad - de puy lentils with red wine vinegar, red onion, and mustard.

forgot to mention that I have been doing this too only adding tomatoes, mint, parsely, olives and feta cheese- a little greek flavored salad

• 1 year later...

It seems like every holiday weekend is afflicted with Devious-God-Weather-Curse. Someone upstairs says "Ha Ha Ha. You want to go outside and play, don't you? Well too bad because it's going to rain AND be too hot to do anything." But yesterday those devious gods must have been sleeping because it was absolutely glorious weather.

My sweetheart and I decided it was worth bagging work for the day to go on a picnic. The spontaneous outing meant that we could only bring what we had in the house but thankfully, we generally have a well-stocked fridge.

gallery_37101_2754_99332.jpg

We had a loaf of sourdough bread, some tartufo semi-soft cheese, cracked pepper smoked salmon, yogurt and herb dip, roasted eggplant-cilantro spread, persian cukes, pear and cherry tomatoes and sugar snap peas. For dessert, some fresh plums, and (in the aluminium foil) fresh figs that I sprinkled with sugar and ran under the broiler.

Several hours lying in the park and (pathetically on my part) playing football was just what the doctor ordered. Now back to work! (Being self-employed means I have to yell at myself and occasionally, when procrastination gets really bad, break out the flogger. I'm a mean boss. )

• Like 1

The Kitchn

Nina Callaway

Using frozen bottles of water to keep the cooler cool is another trick I have picked up this summer.

Yes, that's what I do, too. In fact, when planning for a picnic, the first thing I do is to put a bunch of water bottles into the freezer. Not only does it work great because as they melt, they don't get all runny and messy like ice does, they serve double-duty as something to drink as the day wears on.

Also, regardless as to what else I take on picnics, I ALWAYS take some sort of cold soup in a thermos. It's easy to serve - just pour into paper cups and pass around with plastic spoons. Everybody has something to nosh on while you prepare the rest of the meal.

Obviously, a traditional gazpacho works beautifully for this, but I've used many different kinds of cold soups. It never fails to be a huge crowd-pleaser.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

My post will speak to my anal retentiveness but I really don't go for the loaf of bread, hunk of cheese, sausage/salami, salad that is safe at room temp eaten on a plastic plate from your picnic basket.

We have a picnic basket with plastic plates, utentils, glasses, etc. However, if you use the little cutting board to cut up your cheese/meat, spoon out a salad onto the plate, etc....it's a frickin mess afterward. Plus, depending on your picnic circumstances, sometimes you are cutting stuff up with your bare and UNWASHED hands.

I much prefer to make great, high quality sandwiches. You might have to eat them with unwashed hands; however, you're not handling them as much as cutting up bread and cheese.

I portion out salads and sides into little disposable containers. When you're done, either throw away or bring back with you but you don't have dirty plates to mess up your nice picnic basket.

Dessert is usually something like a high quality cookie or brownie...nothing gloppy or wet.

JMO.

So where are the picnic pies & chutneys...........

gallery_52392_4304_28958.jpg

............pigeon and pork, a fave around these parts.

Edited by Henry dV (log)

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

Plus, depending on your picnic circumstances, sometimes you are cutting stuff up with your bare and UNWASHED hands.

You might have to eat them with unwashed hands; however, you're not handling them as much as cutting up bread and cheese.

That's why we always tote along a small bottle of hand sanitizer, or some of those little packets of hand wipes that I lift from KFC.

:cool:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Plus, depending on your picnic circumstances, sometimes you are cutting stuff up with your bare and UNWASHED hands.

You might have to eat them with unwashed hands; however, you're not handling them as much as cutting up bread and cheese.

That's why we always tote along a small bottle of hand sanitizer, or some of those little packets of hand wipes that I lift from KFC.

:cool:

Honestly, I do too but I don't like the Purell residue.

Don't store the KFC wipes in the glove box of your car. They won't be moist and soapy when you need them. Says the voice of bitter experience.

So where are the picnic pies & chutneys...........

gallery_52392_4304_28958.jpg

............pigeon and pork, a fave around these parts.

How is that pie with ice cream?....now the chutney on ice cream might be good :laugh:

Tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

:sad: I have just read this tread and am filled with envy! My husband, who is normally game for anything, hates picnics. Over the almost 20 years we've been married, I've heard every excuse - the ground will be wet, it will be too buggy, it's too hot, it's too cold ( I could continue). Guess I'll have to live vicariously through this thread.

:sad:  I have just read this tread and am filled with envy!  My husband, who is normally game for anything, hates picnics.  Over the almost 20 years we've been married, I've heard every excuse - the ground will be wet, it will be too buggy, it's too hot, it's too cold ( I could continue).  Guess I'll have to live vicariously through this thread.

Make friends with someone that has a boat.

Oh, Sir Henry!!! I knew we could count on you!

Did you box the pastry with your own cool hands?

Certainly did, you can`t beat a cold water crust :biggrin:

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

I can not imagine any other picnic I enjoy sharing more than

huge dungeness crabs cooked in the shells

Tim's alder chips

OB lager beer

brownies for dessert

eaten on blanket of newspaper at the beach any time they are in season

....even in the winter

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

:sad:  I have just read this tread and am filled with envy!  My husband, who is normally game for anything, hates picnics.  Over the almost 20 years we've been married, I've heard every excuse - the ground will be wet, it will be too buggy, it's too hot, it's too cold ( I could continue).  Guess I'll have to live vicariously through this thread.

Make friends with someone that has a boat.

Jaymes - you are quite perceptive. Our friends used to hava a boat and, now that I think of it, that is the only time my husband loved eating outside. I never thought about that angle. Hmmm - who else do I know that has a boat...

I can not imagine any other picnic I enjoy sharing more than

huge dungeness crabs cooked in the shells

Tim's alder chips

OB lager beer

brownies for dessert

eaten on blanket of newspaper at the beach any time they are in season

....even in the winter

That sounds incredible!

• 2 years later...

Two years of unreported picnics? Bump. I'm a virgo born on the equinox -- which means tons of excellent seasonal foods. For the last twelve years I've had a birthday picnic, each time a different place and menu, thanks to my spouse.

101_2851.jpg

101_2847.jpg

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

• 4 years later...

My Monday night beach picnic group is up and running.  We meet at 7:00 pm on Monday nights and walk down to the beach for an informal picnic.  We all just bring what we have on hand and share.

The food has to fit in a large tote bag with the blanket, wine, and a few glasses and utensils.  Ideally it is pre-portioned or is easy to portion on site.  I usually make enough for 6-8 people. I have a day job so things that can be made ahead and don't involve elaborate preparations are ideal. 

I've looked at Anna N's "Meeting friendly snacks to bake"  http://forums.egullet.org/topic/147440-meeting-friendly-snacks-to-bake/  for baking ideas. 

What can you suggest?

Cheers,

Anne