• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Business Lunch & Dinner in London

Will be in London for 3 days later this week (Thursday-Saturday) and I'd like some advice on great places to go for lunch and dinner. Previously I've eaten at St. John, Anchor & Hope, Providores, Momo. I'm looking for something not too formal, but lively enough to be fun at the same time. Trendy is good. How is Fifteen? Levant? Andrew Edmonds? A fantastic wine list is a must for me, and price is not really an issue as long as it doesn't get out of control so as to be physicallly painful (like at Sketch). Would greatly appreciate any tips from locals.

I would highly recommend Zafferano for such an occasion, after my own visit in similar scenario last week. Cost is £35 for 4 courses at lunch. It is perhaps a little more formal than the others you have already visited, but certainly more lively and upbeat than Andrew Edmunds (it is Italian after all). Better book pronto though.

Once, about 5 years ago. It's got a lovely intimate atmosphere (=the tables are a bit close together). Not a business meal venue, I'd have thought.

The Top Floor at Smiths of Smithfield is good; lovely room and unfussy well sourced and cooked food. Pricey though.

I would agree with Winot that Smiths of Smithfield is pretty good, it is always quite lively Thurs - Sat. I would avoid Levant though, I ate there 2 months ago in the evening and it was looking very dated and the staff were thoroughly miserable. If you could make it, the River Cafe in Hammersmith is a fab venue for lunch and will be especially nice while the weather is good.

I had some great lunches at Smiths of Smithfields. Just around the corner, Vivat Bacchus, has a great cheese plate lunch and a stellar selection of wines. The Chop House at Butlers Wharf is ideal for lunch and a great view if the meeting goes pear shape.

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

Vancouver

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Oops too late for you. Sorry!

We ate at Kensington Place last week and I was pleasantly surprised, as I thought it might have passed its sell by date. Very good value dinner set menu - £24 for 3 courses, £39 with wine. Cooking was great. The wine list is excellent - they have a S. African Sauvignon Blanc called 'Life from Stone' which is a fave of ours.

Very buzzy, full of Notting Hill types.

Where did you go, in the end?

Sarah

Sarah