• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in Provence

PaulaJ

• 2 months later...

We celebrated my husband's birthday yesterday with a fantastic lunch in Les Baux de Provence at La Cabro d'Or. It's a bit evolved from strictly classic, but believe me, there was nothing weird on the plate, just pure deliciousness and beauty. I posted a bunch of photos of their food and terrace here.

Edited by Abra (log)

• 3 months later...

Visiting Provence (and France!) for the first time June 5 - 18 and looking for a range of dining experiences from casual to classic. Starting in Aix and eventually making my way up to Avignon and then back to Aix, my trip will also include cycling up Mt. Ventoux from Bédoin. Look forward to any suggestions eGullet members may have.

Visiting Provence (and France!) for the first time June 5 - 18 and looking for a range of dining experiences from casual to classic. Starting in Aix and eventually making my way up to Avignon and then back to Aix, my trip will also include cycling up Mt. Ventoux from Bédoin. Look forward to any suggestions eGullet members may have.

I presume you've already done a search(es), if not I think you'll be pleased to find a lot under Provence, Aix, Avignon, Ventoux, etc.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I will second Bistrot du Paradou. Food and experience was lovely. The drive down from St Remy was magical countryside; narrow roads lined with plane trees, and the little town/s that merge into Paradou are beautiful. Reserve way ahead! I really wanted to eat there on a Friday when they have escargot and the aioli menu; my husband would have thought he had died and gone to heaven. But we ate midweek and it was delicious. Only two choices for entree, and the bottle of red was tasty and put on the table with no fanfare. I love not having to make lots of decisions.

We didn't find great restaurant food in Aix, generally, and quickly learned that the food on the Cours is nothing to write home about. I had a fish soup (I believe it was at Bastide du Cours) that wasn't bad but my companions' food wasn't as good. There are great bakeries and charcuteries however, and a wonderful daily market where you can easily pick up the fixings for a super picnic. I had the best cookie I have ever eaten from a bakery within a few blocks of the Cours, but I can't remember the name. For street food one day as we walked down from the Cathedrale and Aix museum (very nice little museum) we stumbled on a pristine Vietnamese take-out storefont (no Vietnamese people in sight--only a hip young French woman behind the counter) that was very good.

We did like La Chimere Cafe on Rue Brueys (Aix). Very cozy, dark red interior, atmospheric, friendly. Lots of locals came in starting at about 10. The escargot were tender and very yummy. I had a perfect piece of grilled fish. My husband had what the waiter translated as "Bambi." I remember a great dessert, but can't recall what it was! We liked L'Unic for cafe au lait in the morning. It's right on the square where the daily market happens; the croissants are okay but the action is tops. Part of vacations for me is not having to cook, but being at this market made me wish I had brought my kitchen. And my oyster knife.

It's been sevral years sice my stay in Avignon but my favorites were Christian Étienne, Hiély-Luculus, Le Bain-Marie, Le Vielle Fontaine. For oysters, Le Port des Barques.

Edited by cigalechanta (log)

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

• 3 months later...
I will be staying in a home I rented in Gordes the end of August into September.  We have a car and would like to spend our days exploring nearby towns, going to their outdoor markets and seeing the sights.  Although we'll probably do some cooking at home in the evening (got to do something with all of those market purchases), we will be eating lunch out and maybe one or two dinners.  Any thoughts on where that should be? 

Jean

Le Jardin du Quai in Isle sur la Sorgue. Sunday lunch is a 'must do', and dinner is great as well.

• 2 months later...

We had a really nice lunch recently at Chez Serge in Carpentras. The menu, at 19 Euros as I recall, was high quality bistro non-fussy fare, just what we really enjoy. More details and some pictures are here.

• 2 weeks later...

Two really nice places, very different from each other, are Le Petit Tahiti, for Tahitian food, and Pasta Cosy, for pasta-based dishes of no specific national origin.

If you've never had Tahitian food, it's like a French-influenced Hawaiian, raw fish, chow mein, and tamarind glazed ribs were what we had, with a chocolate banana tarte.

Pasta Cosy does a little tapas thing for starters, if you want, and then the mains and desserts are mostly pasta-based, but not specifically Italian. Great for those times when you are tired of French food!

If you want to feel right at home in Aix and not surrounded by tourists, try these. Both are relatively inexpensive and very good value. More details and a couple of photos are here.

Edited by Abra (log)

• 1 month later...

Tonight we went to a super nice place in Villeneuve les Avignon, La Guinguette du Vieux Moulin. It's a charming place, right on the Rhône waterfront, with music and dancing some evenings, traditional fare, and really friendly and efficient service. The dinner 3 course menu is at 27 Euros, or if two people order it it's 29 per person which includes a half bottle of a quite decent wine. The andouillette is the best I've ever had, a tarte of tuna, lemon and tomato was really startlingly good, as was a beet carpaccio with a hint of cinnamon and pineapple.

It's very close to the Avignon TGV station, a place we visit often, and we never know where to eat when we're around Avignon. Now we do, and we'll certainly be going back, especially to sit on their pretty terrace over the water.

• 5 years later...

Interesting advices and opinion, thanks a lot.By the way, do you know any reliable website to order food online? the best in France

I do not want to go to a restaurant each time I would like to enjoy Provencal dishes; yet I do not know much about cooking.

Thanks