• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mangoes

Actually mango salsa is GREAT with grilled chicken and pork as well. Basic mango salsa is chopped mango, squeeze of a lime, a sprinkle of rice vinegar, some red onion, cilantro (if you're so inclined!) and red bell pepper. You can also add some roasted corn and beans to this and it's a pretty nice summer salad.

I also love:

mango curd

mango topped cheesecake

mango - Lime meringue pie

mango chicken stir fry

mango on top of pizza :wub: - think hawaiian :D i like grilled chicken or canadian bacon, mango and roasted pepper topped with monterey jack (or fontina) and cilantro (basil with fontina) !

JeAnne

Xander: How exactly do you make cereal?

Buffy: Ah. You put the box near the milk. I saw it on the Food Channel.

-BtVS

I make a mango sauce for fish (nut encrusted halibut, tilapia, etc., or just on grilled tuna or salmon).

2 mangoes, peeled and cut off the seed in chunks

white wine to cover

cream

Salt to taste

lime juice to taste

put mango pieces in a saucepan and add just enough white wine to barely cover them. Cook a few minutes and then add some cream. When the mango is cooked through, pour everything into a blender and blend thoroughly. Add a dash or two of salt and then lime juice to taste.

This takes almost no time and it can be reheated, as well.

Wow! Thanks everyone for all the great Mango ideas. I am sure RecipeGullet could use some Mango recipes, so please add yours with a link back to this discussion.

More Mango ideas welcome here, of course.

Mango Ice Cream is gorgeous, just use your normal ice cream custard base, and add the puree of two or three mangoes to it before you put it in the machine/ freezer.

I also just like eating them just as they are, slices cut around the stone, you can't get anything nicer than that :wub:

Richard, I'm just curious: what kind of mangos did you buy?  At the Vietnamese markets here in Philly, whenever they sell mangos by the flat, they're always Champagne mangos.  They sell other variaties, but never by the flat...???  Don't get me wrong, I like champagne mangos, but just for eating (not in anything baked).

They have different varieties here at different times. This was a flat of Kent mangos, or so the sign said. I'll post a picture later.

It turns out that there are a lot of great ideas coming up here on the savory side, too, so I'll start a mango thread in the cooking forum for those. And we can continue with Pastry and Baking ideas for mangos here.

Ohhhh.... yum!!!! I  :wub: mango pudding!!!!

I hope you enjoy it, if you try it! I make it a lot--it's very forgiving and easy! You can add or substitute so many different things in it. My mother has used yoghurt for some of the cream, and she said it was good. The one thing I would avoid adding is cream cheese. She did, once, and she couldn't even eat it because the clumps of cream cheese made the pudding look diseased :blink: .

Another thing I like to do with mangoes is slice and freeze them. Then I put them in my Champion Juicer. It comes out creamy and smooth, just like ice cream. The best part is there are no additives or sugars. This works great with pineapple too!

How ripe are they?

If less ripe good for some salsa action to go with meat or fish (the tartness helps) or for tarte tatin (where they are doused in sugar anyway, and have to hold some shape)

If more ripe think ice-cream or lassi... but only if they are really fully flavoured as the custard/milk dilutes the mango taste. Basically trading silky mouthfeel for flavour

If they are perfectly ripe slice, dice, and have them as they are!

cheerio

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Mango cream pie is one of my "desserts to die for".. and it's super easy to make. You just need your usual sweet-pastry crust or even just the graham crust. Cool the crust- then get yourself some really nice thick cream (like the cream you can get here in the Philippines :p-it's got the same consistency as nicely formed yogurt) or some sweet yogurt- that'll will do nicely as well. Pour a bit on the crust then put slivers of mango meat - fill the bottom of the pan, sprinkle some cinnamon (just a 2 pinches or so) and drizzle with some nice flavored honey (don't use leatherwood honey or other really strong honeys which come from hardwood trees. Get the blossom-honeys- sunflower is the best IMHO) then pour more yogurt/cream then repeat the mango, cinnamon and honey thing then you end with the cream and you can refrigerate it first so that when you decorate it with more mango strips or chocolate bits or whatever you want to use, the mangoes won't just swim in the cream.

You can also put raisins or bits of dates and other such pleasant things into the pie- as you wish. :) It's a favorite.

Anyway, Mango secrets are good too..

Just cook the mango with a bit of cinnamon/dates/ a bit of dessicated coconut or something and some honey/sugar and a tsp. or so of cornstarch.. cook on medium heat for about 5-8 minutes - till it's sort of become a mush. Make a nice oat-sugar and butter crust (nearly like an oat cookie- how sweet it will be is all up to you) - put 3/4 in a pan (put some on the sides as well, and then after you line the pan you can pour in the mangoes, then with the remaining oat mix, cover the mangoes completely. Bake at 350 until golden brown- that's approx. 20 minutes, then refrigerate. This is best served and eaten cold with a scoop of ice cream (preferably vanilla) on top. :)

Mango lassies, as mentioned, are definitely fantastic as well. Here's another really simple one: mangoes, cornflakes (plain) and cream with a bit of honey or sugar and you can also put dates- or raisins or cinnamon. Yum yum

I just added my family's mango pudding recipe to RecipeGullet.  It's quite delicious and refreshing--perfect for hot summer weather!

Prasantrin, thank you so much for posting your recipe. I made it tonight, and everyone gave it rave reviews - rich, creamy, smooth, refreshing, and simply delicious!

My mom makes this Mango Walnut Pie. Basically it's a meringue and walnut crust, topped with whipped cream and mango slices arranged on top, served very, very cold.

And the best mangoes by far are the Philippine Carabao mangoes. I read a press release a few years back that these mangoes are now allowed to be imported into the US. Just not sure where to get them here.... If you come across it though by chance, be sure to try a few. It won't disappoint....

#1456/5000