• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mangos, Mangos, Mangos....

Richard Kilgore

I bought a flat of Mangos at a Vietnamese market today, intending to do some ice cream, sorbet and any other kind of frozen dessert possible in my freezer-bowl type ice cream machine.

So I am looking for recipes for those, of course. But what else can I do with mangos? What are your favorites?

When people in Hawaii have "extra" mangoes, they make mango bread (use any standard quick bread recipe, like a recipe for banana bread, only substitute mango), mango muffins or mini-muffins, and mango jam. Peeled & cubed mango also freezes well for future use. And there are always mango smoothies and mango lassi.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

When people in Hawaii have "extra" mangoes, they make mango bread (use any standard quick bread recipe, like a recipe for banana bread, only substitute mango), mango muffins or mini-muffins, and mango jam. Peeled & cubed mango also freezes well for future use. And there are always mango smoothies and mango lassi.

there is mango fool.

mango slices replacing or complementing apple in a tarte tatin

or mango + peach in a pie.

lots of savory mango dishes: mango kalan (mango with spiced buttermilk);

mango kadhi (ditto, different spices);

mango raita;

mango souffle;

so many many ideas;

milagai

ps: if you have extra mangos, pl send them to me :biggrin:

Edited by Milagai (log)

I bought a flat of Mangos at a Vietnamese market today, intending to do some ice cream, sorbet and any other kind of frozen dessert possible in my freezer-bowl type ice cream machine.

So I am looking for recipes for those, of course. But what else can I do with mangos? What are your favorites?

We all have pity on you for being in such a dire circumstance and hope you hold up as well as can be expected!

The mango portion of this recipe got raves (actually the shrimp were pretty good too)

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/105002

/Deborah

I was born and raised in Hawaii and our neighbor's Hayden mango tree hovered over the property line... :D

The only things I really do with mangos on a regular basis are mango cheesecake and mango curd. I once made a mango/pineapple/lime sorbet from the Williams-Sonoma site and it was stellar. I ditto the mango lassi, but I also like it in milkshakes and shrikand. Even though I'm from Hawaii, I've never put it in a quickbread and didn't know anyone who did, but I'm going to try that this weekend! A pastry chef friend of mine made a mango poundcake.

Richard, I'm just curious: what kind of mangos did you buy? At the Vietnamese markets here in Philly, whenever they sell mangos by the flat, they're always Champagne mangos. They sell other variaties, but never by the flat...??? Don't get me wrong, I like champagne mangos, but just for eating (not in anything baked).

I don't have a recipe, but I do have a recollection of a dish that might give you a useful direction to consider. There used to be a Thai restaurant a few blocks from where I live that wasn't all that good but served one dish that was great:

Whole broiled red snapper with lime juice, cashew nuts, fish sauce, hot pepper, and ripe mango slaw.

I loved it every time and miss it. If only that restaurant could have cooked more dishes up to that level, maybe it wouldn't have gone out of business...

But in general, consider mango as an accompaniment to fish, especially if you add some sourness to it by adding lime juice or perhaps tamarind. The thing that made that dish at the Thai restaurant so great was the balance between sweet, sour, salty, chili, nutty, and of course the slightly carbonized protein of the broiled whole fish.

Michael aka "Pan"

We were in NYC this weekend and ate a mango-shrimp dish at a Malaysian restaurant in Chinatown that was TDF. Sweet and piquant, and I couldn't begin to tell you what was in it! But presentation was fun -- it was served in a hollowed-out mango half.

Actually mango salsa is GREAT with grilled chicken and pork as well. Basic mango salsa is chopped mango, squeeze of a lime, a sprinkle of rice vinegar, some red onion, cilantro (if you're so inclined!) and red bell pepper. You can also add some roasted corn and beans to this and it's a pretty nice summer salad.

I also love:

mango curd

mango topped cheesecake

mango - Lime meringue pie

mango chicken stir fry

mango on top of pizza :wub: - think hawaiian :D i like grilled chicken or canadian bacon, mango and roasted pepper topped with monterey jack (or fontina) and cilantro (basil with fontina) !

JeAnne

Xander: How exactly do you make cereal?

Buffy: Ah. You put the box near the milk. I saw it on the Food Channel.

-BtVS

I make a mango sauce for fish (nut encrusted halibut, tilapia, etc., or just on grilled tuna or salmon).

2 mangoes, peeled and cut off the seed in chunks

white wine to cover

cream

Salt to taste

lime juice to taste

put mango pieces in a saucepan and add just enough white wine to barely cover them. Cook a few minutes and then add some cream. When the mango is cooked through, pour everything into a blender and blend thoroughly. Add a dash or two of salt and then lime juice to taste.

This takes almost no time and it can be reheated, as well.

Wow! Thanks everyone for all the great Mango ideas. I am sure RecipeGullet could use some Mango recipes, so please add yours with a link back to this discussion.

More Mango ideas welcome here, of course.

Mango Ice Cream is gorgeous, just use your normal ice cream custard base, and add the puree of two or three mangoes to it before you put it in the machine/ freezer.

I also just like eating them just as they are, slices cut around the stone, you can't get anything nicer than that :wub:

Richard, I'm just curious: what kind of mangos did you buy?  At the Vietnamese markets here in Philly, whenever they sell mangos by the flat, they're always Champagne mangos.  They sell other variaties, but never by the flat...???  Don't get me wrong, I like champagne mangos, but just for eating (not in anything baked).

They have different varieties here at different times. This was a flat of Kent mangos, or so the sign said. I'll post a picture later.

It turns out that there are a lot of great ideas coming up here on the savory side, too, so I'll start a mango thread in the cooking forum for those. And we can continue with Pastry and Baking ideas for mangos here.

Ohhhh.... yum!!!! I  :wub: mango pudding!!!!

I hope you enjoy it, if you try it! I make it a lot--it's very forgiving and easy! You can add or substitute so many different things in it. My mother has used yoghurt for some of the cream, and she said it was good. The one thing I would avoid adding is cream cheese. She did, once, and she couldn't even eat it because the clumps of cream cheese made the pudding look diseased :blink: .

Another thing I like to do with mangoes is slice and freeze them. Then I put them in my Champion Juicer. It comes out creamy and smooth, just like ice cream. The best part is there are no additives or sugars. This works great with pineapple too!