• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Detourbe?

Carlsbad

Last time I heard about him, he was still at l'Ampère (1, rue Ampère, in the 17th). I ate there a few weeks after he opened, last winter I think: honestly, it was expensive and really banal. Maybe I should go back?

"Mais moi non plus, j'ai pas faim! En v'là, une excuse!..."

(Jean-Pierre Marielle)

I wonder if he's still at L'Ampere, since the new Pudlo doesn't mention him. Cityvox mentions him, but it may be out of date. It appears they will be open August 1 for our last night in Paris. Maybe we will check it out.

Interestingly, we are going to Thierry Burlot's restaurant the first night we are in Paris (Tuesday). I didn't realize it was Detourbe's old location, where we enjoyed two dinners previously, until this post.

We enjoyed a lovely meal at that location in the 15th when it was Detourbe's restaurant some years back. We were most impressed by the ration of quality to price and by the charming service. It was a visit to Paris marked by great bargains in dinner -- Eric Frechon and la Régalade (Camdeborde) as well.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

We ate at Thierry Burlot Friday and 1. It's terrific, 2. It's in the ex-Detourbe space and 3. It's nicely priced as I noted a while back. And to my knowledge I too think he's still at l'Ampere; like Zouave, the bunch I eat out with most had mixed responses to Detourbe's past and current cooking. I'm less negative than others but it's definately not a place that gets universal approval. Be interested in others' reactions, though.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris