• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's new vanilla

Zen Baker

I was at Trader Joe's today and noticed they had a new vanilla extract (not the Mexican vanilla that they've been carrying for a while now). The label says: Pure Bourbon Vanilla Extract" but doesn't say where it's from. There's a little blurb on the label about how vanilla beans came from Mexico, went to the Ile de Bourbon, blah blah blah. But does that mean that the extract is from Madagascar/Bourbon Islands? Is it safe to assume that is does?

The ingredient label says: Bourbon vanilla bean extractives in water. Alcohol (35%).

I'm hoping that it's the old Mexican vanilla in a new package.

Any opinions? Insights?

TJ's also sells something called "Vanilla Paste", which is a thick and sticky mix (about the texture of honey) vanilla seeds suspended in a naturally-flavored vanilla "goo". It doesn't sound very good, but I have tried it. It is nice to use when you want to get the "speckled" effect from vanilla seeds in your desserts.

TJ's also sells something called "Vanilla Paste", which is a thick and sticky mix (about the texture of honey) vanilla seeds suspended in a naturally-flavored vanilla "goo".  It doesn't sound very good, but I have tried it.  It is nice to use when you want to get the "speckled" effect from vanilla seeds in your desserts.

I thought to try it, too. It might leave good speckles, but not a good taste.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

I didn't find that the vanilla paste had much taste at all. It was mainly sweet and sticky, with the visual of vanilla flecks, but only a muted vanilla flavor. Not something I'd buy again.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

• 1 month later...
I use it in combination with vanilla extract.  THat way i get specks and flavor.

I think that's the ticket for using Vanilla Bean Paste, with ext and even a V. Bean, split & scraped, if you're on a budget.

2317/5000