• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rio de Janeiro Dining Recommendations

• 1 month later...
Where would you be staying ? There are some known places like Marius the churrascria in Leme.  A few standard places in Leblon and surroundings.

I am staying in Leblon. I can't believe there are no postings on there for RIO, I searched all of egullet. Any suggestions would be great.

I cannot help you with dining out in Leblon because I always stay in Copacabana and do not go farther south than Ipanema. You best bet is by inquiring from your hotel concierge for recommendations. Failing that and if you read Brazilian Portuguese here is a site you can check out, there is a Plataforma in Leblon if you check the churrasqueira section, if the one in NY is any indication, you are in for a treat. Do not drink too many caipirinhas!

http://www.riodejaneironow.com/restaurantescariocas.htm

Gato ming gato miao busca la vida para comer

I cannot help you with dining out in Leblon because I always stay in Copacabana and do not go farther south than Ipanema.  You best bet is by inquiring from your hotel concierge for recommendations.  Failing that and if you read Brazilian Portuguese here is a site you can check out, there is a Plataforma in Leblon if you check the churrasqueira section, if the one in NY is any indication, you are in for a treat.  Do not drink too many caipirinhas!

http://www.riodejaneironow.com/restaurantescariocas.htm

leblon is right next to copacabana so if you have any good suggestions there please let me know, thank you!

I cannot help you with dining out in Leblon because I always stay in Copacabana and do not go farther south than Ipanema.  You best bet is by inquiring from your hotel concierge for recommendations.

Checking with the concierge is a great idea. Keep in mind that all of the southern 'burbs (Copacabana, Ipanema, Leblon) are a short taxi ride from one another. Tell the concierge what type of dining experience you're looking for. I can't offer specific recommendations since it's been many years since I was there. All I can say is that the various neighborhoods are pretty close together, and transportation shouldn't be an obstacle.

I can't find the reference now, but I'm sure I read about one of the "innovative" chefs in Rio being located in Leblon (if that's the sort of thing you're looking for). Or you could go for the full-on churrascaria or feijoada. Talk about the anti-spa! :laugh:

• 2 months later...

I haven't been to Rio in 5 years :sad: but I ate at a wonderful restaurant called Satyricon in '96 and again in '00 that flies in specialty fishes from the Amazon and if it still has a good rep, I would recommend it. Don't remember the locale.

I had very good luck using guidebooks to get ideas for restaurants but I also agree with the recommendation to ask your concierge.

Whatever you do, find a seafood restaurant that serves shrimp stuffed with Catpury cheese or anything else stuffed with the cheese for that matter. It's only sold in Brazil, and I have food fantasies about it from time to time.

Last but not least, dress up a little and go have yourself a drink at the Copacabana Palace Hotel by the pool. It's an exquisite historic hotel run by Orient Express and you must find an excuse to poke your head in the door.