• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish Monger Houston

casemnor

Hi guys,

I remember a few months ago someone posted about a fish monger in the north Houston area. Does anyone remember this thread or am I imagining it?

After a year off from local fish (due to the infamous wormy salmon incident), we're ready to get back on the horse and are looking for somewhere reasonable to buy FRESH fish from.

Thanks!

There is also a place on Richmond between Dunlavy and Shepard to the left if you are going West. It used to be all wholesale but now has retail. I don't know the name but it says "Fresh Fish" and the outside is sort of green. I haven't been there but my husband has and we had deliciousy fresh gulf shrimp and excellent snapper and salmon. He said that there were no prices posted but there was a pretty big variety and they knew the orgin of everything and most was local. I keep meaning to go there myself but it closes at 6 and I don't usually get off work that early.

Spunds like airline seafood to me and even though they went through an ownership change, I think the fish is pretty good.

There is another small seafood place off Holcombe to the south of Holcomb actually on a little street that usually has the best scallops I've ever purchased. Its a little street between Kirby and Buffalo Speedway as I said just south of Holcomb.

There is also a place on Richmond between Dunlavy and Shepard to the left if you are going West.  It used to be all wholesale but now has retail. I don't know the name but it says "Fresh Fish" and the outside is sort of green.  I haven't been there but my husband has and we had deliciousy fresh gulf shrimp and excellent snapper and salmon.  He said that there were no prices posted but there was a pretty big variety and they knew the orgin of everything and most was local.  I keep meaning to go there myself but it closes at 6 and I don't usually get off work that early.

Just FYI, we stopped by the fishmonger on Steubner-Airline/Louetta this weekend and bought an absolutely GORGEOUS piece of escolar. My husband grilled it last night and it was superb. In fact, I'd go as far as saying this is the nicest piece of fish we've had since moving to the US.

We'll definitely be buying fish from this shop from now on. The fellow at the counter was informative and obviously knew his stuff. His selection was somewhat limited, which is always an encouraging sign. He doesn't offer fish that isn't fresh/top notch. What a refreshing change from super markets that have less than fresh, poorly fileted fish.