• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese Style Curry in New York

I moved to New York from Honolulu a year ago, and managed to get my curry craving under wraps while visiting friends in LA about a month ago, but no amount of googling (or even really searching eGullet, so far) has been able to point me to the kind of place I am looking for in New York... something like Hurry Curry.

I've been to Katsuhama on 47th, and while the Katsu is great, it's still not exactly the curry house I am looking for.

Any suggestions? Something I've over looked?

Edited by The Little Blue House (log)

----------------------------------------------

Emily in London

http://www.august18th2007.com

I'm no expert, but a couple of years ago a read about Hanami on East 45th street being one of the few real Japanese curry shops in New York, and one of the best outside of Japan. It is a simple looking place, once that doesn't stand out from a neighborhood sushi joint, but the window is full of articles from Japanese magazines and newspapers, a good sign. Anyhow, I went once and enjoyed both the food and service, but, again, I know little about what I should have thought. Give it a try and let us know.

If you can make it across the river on the free shuttle bus from Manhattan, the Mitsuwa Marketplace in Edgewater, NJ has a pretty formidable food court that serves a mean Japanese curry.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I'm no expert, but a couple of years ago a read about Hanami on East 45th street being one of the few real Japanese curry shops in New York, and one of the best outside of Japan.  It is a simple looking place, once that doesn't stand out from a neighborhood sushi joint, but the window is full of articles from Japanese magazines and newspapers, a good sign.  Anyhow, I went once and enjoyed both the food and service, but, again, I know little about what I should have thought.  Give it a try and let us know.

No longer exists, owner got hit by a van, broke some ribs, retired. I don't know of a place in Manhattan that serves notable curry.

[No longer exists, owner got hit by a van, broke some ribs, retired.  I don't know of a place in Manhattan that serves notable curry.

Gak! That is a shame. Being reminded of the place had me thinking about a trip...

I noticed that Hanami was gone--we walked up and down E 45th from Grand Central all the way to the UN and back. However, we ended up at a place called Hizen, at 200 East 45th St (between 2nd & 3rd Ave). It is not a strictly curry place. In fact, it sort of looks like they specialize in Ramen. But, the curry was pretty good and the service was, honestly, the most breath-takingly perfect service I have had in years.

Food wise, it was $24 for two people. We had the tonkatsu (perfect sauce) and the curry with pork. The drinks brought the bill up substanially: $9 for a glass of pretty good cold sake and $10 for a (big) Sapporo.

In and out in just over an hour.

But, really, I'm still looking for a curry house. I don't like only getting to pick between pork, chicken or beef. I like the varieties, and honestly, I like the smell of a place so saturated with curry that the scent spills into the street.

There has to be somewhere here. This is New York.

-Emily

----------------------------------------------

Emily in London

http://www.august18th2007.com

Vermont style? Seriously? If so, what's the derivation of that term for a type of curry?

"Vermont" is a brand name for a popular curry roux mix sold in Japan by the House Foods Company.

http://www.house-foods.com/imported_products.html

"Golden" by the S&B company and Glico are also very popular.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Vermont style? Seriously? If so, what's the derivation of that term for a type of curry?

This entry ponders the derivation of the term, though in Japanese. The box's back panel says the curry incorporates a health regimen of apples and honey that originated in Vermont. The site's commentary adds that House's president at the time supposedly heard of such a tonic promoted by a Vermont doctor...

A google search comes up with a Dr. Jarvis from Vermont that touted the benefits of honey and apple cider vinegar.

0345471741.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

By the way, House is also known for their Java curry brand.

Edited by MumonA (log)

Fascinating stuff, MumonA. You'd think a doctor promoting a Vermont-style diet would also tout maple syrup. Now, shall we imagine a curry with maple syrup? :shock::wacko::huh::raz::blink:

Michael aka "Pan"

I noticed that Hanami was gone--we walked up and down E 45th from Grand Central all the way to the UN and back.  However, we ended up at a place called Hizen, at 200 East 45th St (between 2nd & 3rd Ave).  It is not a strictly curry place.  In fact, it sort of looks like they specialize in Ramen.  But, the curry was pretty good and the service was, honestly, the most breath-takingly perfect service I have had in years. 

-Emily

Hizen is an Izakaya, a Japanese pub. Last time I was there, their menu was scattered across several different pieces of paper and most of it was in Japanese. They might have given you a basic English language menu.

Hanami was famous in the NY Japanese community for homemade curry. As far as I know, there is no other such place in NYC.

This entry ponders the derivation of the term, though in Japanese. The box's back panel says the curry incorporates a health regimen of apples and honey that originated in Vermont. The site's commentary adds that House's president at the time supposedly heard of such a tonic promoted by a Vermont doctor...

A google search comes up with a Dr. Jarvis from Vermont that touted the benefits of honey and apple cider vinegar.

0345471741.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

By the way, House is also known for their Java curry brand.

Oh... so that's where it came from! I've wondered for years what the connection between curry and Vermont was!

The House brand Vermont curry does, indeed, contain apples and honey (along with bananas, if I remember correctly) and it's very sweet. Really unlike any other curry I've ever tasted. I've read it's a favorite kids' dish in Japan, about as popular as hamburgers!

BTW, House Java curry (medium-hot heat) is my favorite of all the packaged curry roux.

Edited by SuzySushi (log)

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs