• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wood Chips for Grilling

Does anybody know where I can buy the various types of wood chips for grilling that you soak in water and add to the barbeque in New Jersey?

I just got a brand new fancy electric outdoor grill (only electric is allowed on my terrace) and it suggests that using chips will give a better flavor, which I certainly believe.

Thanks - I'm in Northern NJ and can't think of where to buy them.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

We have a Hardware Store/ Lumber yard in Tenafly that I get them at. If you're not close by then you can look in a local Lowes or Home Depot or someplace like that.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

I got mine at Home Depot.. You can also get a weber smoker box to put in your grill.. I have never smoked anything on a gas grill so i dont know about the result..

Wrap soaked chips in heavy aluminum foil, pierce the foil packet with slits all over, and put the packet on the lower bars (below the grill rack). Lot cheaper and more convenient than the Weber smoker box. :cool:

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

Shoprite has hickory chips by the charcoal....west milford at least

I refuse to discuss what I did to my gas grill smoking with it although it is repairable :wacko:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I know ace carries chips and sometimes home depot does but this link/place has a huge selection and you may want to try a bit of each to find the mix you like. Me, I like apple and hickory about 1/3 and 2/3 in that order... (or mesquite)

Also people swear by those bisquettes. ::shrug:: here's the link:

http://www.sausagesource.com/Merchant2/

merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=EQ-LCHICKORY&Affiliate=froogle

just put those 2 halfs together on the link. :cool: I didn't want to run off the page!

I hope this helps. Also if you want a fun side I saw this on T.v. the other day you can make "fruit skewers" on the side - alternate strawberry halves, blueberries, red & black raspberries, sliced fruit of choice like pineapple... it's pretty too and great to make the day before for fast "dessert".

Goodluck.

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.