• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Full On Food

I have not problem with a change in format.

I would suggest:

Get rid of the studio audience, 'Ready Steady Cook' for 30 somethings

Maybe use a similar format as some of the travel shows.

I think that the talent is there, just the application is a little wobbly.

To be clear, I think that to get up infront of a live audience takes some balls and I suspect that being comfortable with that format isn't natural for most people and takes much experience. Personally, I would rather disembowel myself with a sardine fork, then do it.

I think another problem is with the production, there are too many long awkward silences during the "live" bits, so much so that I thought it was live until Andy confirmed otherwise. Surely they could make the show a bit sleaker in editing?

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

To be clear, I think that to get up infront of a live audience takes some balls and I suspect that being comfortable with that format isn't natural for most people and takes much experience.

I agree. Merrilees was actually at her most relaxed to date when she was doing the kids party piece, probably because she was on more familiar ground. Keith Floyd on the other hand (mentioned upthread), is an absolute natural in front of the camera. I saw him recently at the making of 'The Restaurant' an Irish celeb/cookery programme where he was guest critic (along with the regulars, Tom Doorley and Paolo Thullio). He jumped out of his seat in surprise when he realised that the 'secret chef' was in fact a woman, saying that he thought a woman would cook better. However, his fresh, impetuous leap did not fit the format of the show, and the host asked him for his comments when he was seated like a good, well behaved critic. This particular episode is to go out on 23 August. I just hope they left the flying Floyd in.

That said, I'm not sure that there was much gold dust left on the editing floor of Full on Food. But despite its shortfalls, I really enjoyed it. It needs tightening, and yes, the audience is beginning to look more and more superfluous. But it definitely should not be axed.

Bravo to Richard Johnson. Like the deadpan approach leavened with a hint of cynicism.

Deadpan and cynicism? I thought it was disinterest! :shock:

Is there anybody that does like it? Please join in, we won't bite (typed with fingers crossed behind back).

Yes, I like it. I find it, uhm, kind of attractive (sorry).

Apart from that.. I like the show. At least it's a food show for me to watch, considering there isn't a single Dutch foodshow. I agree that it's not very deep but really, that's not what I expect from a program like this. For instance, I enjoyed the segment on Vietnamese food, it got me interested in the cuisine, now I can investigate further on my own if I want to.

I also enjoyed the item on American barbecue. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I had never really grasped the difference between grilling and barbecuing.. now I do.

I taped the show with the segment on pigfarming. I think I watched that segment 10 times and made my husband watch it with me. Those multicolored piglets were so unbelievabably cute!!

The studio bits are much less interesting to me.

So yes, I like the show, but maybe only because I'm so shallow that cute pigs is all it takes to please me.

:wacko: I think that I am going to have to sit down and watch this programme, although it doesn't sound apealing, but everyone has such sharp views on it, I have to see for myself now!!

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

:wacko: I think that I am going to have to sit down and watch this programme, although it doesn't sound apealing, but everyone has such sharp views on it, I have to see for myself now!!

Your decision to find out what it's all about for yourself is excellent but your timing is less so. The last show of the series was Tuesday.

The fact that it is one of very few (none?) shows on terrestrial TV that attempts to get serious about food is in its favour but it still doesn't seem to have found an identity and there's the feeling that it's a half-hour show given an hour to fill. Mind you Top Gear is going that way too.

:laugh: Of course, they could always blend the two!!

Although after reading Jeremy Clarkesons restaurant review some time back, that might not be a wise idea!!

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp