• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Full On Food

OK. eere it goes:

Digital Thermometer

One unused FLUKE 52 II Digital Thermometer for sale in original pack.

Accessories:

- INFRARED THERMOCOUPLE PROBE (TYPE-K)

(whatever dat is)

- TYPE T PIERCING PROBE, THERMOCOUPLE ASSEMBLY, 3 METER, BULK.

(yeah - yeah - yeah luv da piercing bit)

- One SureGrip PROBE, THERMOCOUPLE, RUGGEDIZED, K-TYPE.

(well you would need the SureGrip, wouldnt ya)

- And one carrying case free. Woohoo

All at only UKP ****. Well ya cant afford it anyway. (Remortgage on your kitchen accepted as collateral)

Potatoe sieves and plastic thingies will be available in Sept 05. Reserve here now.

"Plasma oven" and "Whizzy Hob" out of stock.

We also stock refined Lavender essence and special Designer Ice Cubes.

Check back here again soon: culinarygizmo@gastronomicmignons.com

the presenter (whose name i don't even know, that how much he's impressed me!) is just to much of an arrogant rugger bugger for me. what culinary experience does he have? if he has any, then he manages to hide it well. he looked like shit on the barbeque piece the other week, and to think, our licence fee is going towards his wardrobe allowance

the presenter (whose name i don't even know, that how much he's impressed me!) is just to much of an arrogant rugger bugger for me. what culinary experience does he have? if he has any, then he manages to hide it well. he looked like shit on the barbeque piece the other week, and to think, our licence fee is going towards his wardrobe allowance

I keep saying that... today he looked like he rolled out of bed just before the show, wearing the same clothes from the day before, and messed up his wig* even more than usual...

He grosses me out so much I can't even watch the show for more than 5 minutes any more...

And why does Merrilees move around and make gestures like she is a five year old?

*doesn't it look like one?

Edited by sandra (log)

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

the presenter (whose name i don't even know, that how much he's impressed me!)

Richard Johnson - a member of the eGullet Society who is yet to post but who was reading this thread yesterday. Good rule of thumb for this forum - never post anything here you wouldn't be prepared to say to someone's face.

Richard Johnson - a member of the eGullet Society who is yet to post but who was reading this thread yesterday. Good rule of thumb for this forum - never post anything here you wouldn't be prepared to say to someone's face.

you're assuming that i wouldn't say it to his face, sorry andy (and richard) but i would.......

and if you are reading this richard, why not post, give us your point of view

Edited by fisherman (log)

you're assuming that i wouldn't say it to his face, sorry andy (and richard) but i would.......

Fisherman, my comment wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, although I personally couldn't see myself raising issues of personal hygiene with a complete stranger.

Alternatively, you could say, never visit a forum if not ready to have the truth hit you in the face.

your post started with a quote from one of my previous posts, therefore i took it as a direct reply to that post.

where did i comment on personal hygiene? or are you not aiming that comment at anyone in particular either?

the moment people appear on our screens, they are no longer complete strangers, particularly for bbc 'stars' where our licence fee contributes directly to their wages, and the budgets for the shows they appear in, so it's not really out of line of have an opinion on their appearance is it?

i regularly appear on television, and have to take comments about my appearance (mostly negative) on the chin, whether on internet forums or in the street

Edited by fisherman (log)

The bottom line is that this forum is for the discussion of UK restaurants, cuisine and travel. That discussion is bound by the rules of our user agreement. Some of the posts on this thread could arguably be characterised as "mean-spirited insults" which are disallowed by the Society's User Agreement. I'm going to let them stand for the moment as they are relatively mild and I try not to be heavy handed when moderating, but lets be civil and stay on topic. Thanks.

Well if it was aimed at what I posted, I also stand by what I said, all I said is he "looked" like he had just rolled out of bed, maybe that is the look the BBC is after, you know the "I'm a lad" look - and not at all what he prefers in his personal life - I wrote an email to the BBC with the same comments...

Andy, I think you know as well as anyone I truly understand just how "public" this forum can be, no?

:wink:

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Forgot it was on last night. Can anyone fill me in on what was covered and how?

I don't suppose it's repeated at 3am on BBC3 or something?

Cheers

Philip

Edited by PS (log)

PS

Edinburgh

I felt yesterday's programme (the first one I have bothered to watch in a while - and only because I felt like watching TV and there was nothing else on :sad:) was mainly made up of elements that seemed to entertain the people participating. The impresssion was that if it entertained them, it should entertain us.

Thus, we had the pesto segment which could have been so much more informative (and entertaining) but instead all I got out of it was that there's a pesto making festival once a year.

The tomato piece had Corrigan tasting and saying this one's ok, this one's better etc. With a bit more time and money thrown at it, this topic could have been really interesting (ie interviews with supermarkets, pictures of the transporting process etc) but as it was it didn't teach me anything new.

The children's party cook-off was painful. There seemed to be no point to it - apart from RC and MP joshing each other. When the announcement about the winner was made (in front of the audience - ooohh, the tension) my housemate yawned and said, "who cares?"

I appreciate that it's difficult to know your audience and pitch the programme at the right level - and get the budget to justify it - but this whole thing just suffers from a lack of ambition. It seems to be relying on us caring about the presenter's personalities; I'd rather there had been more emphasis on the food.

Andy, I think you know as well as anyone I truly understand just how "public" this forum can be, no?

:wink:

:laugh: did you ever take your free dinner?

i think andy's words are reasonable guidelines, don't write anything you wouldn't say or certainly be aware there's a good chance they'll read it/hear about it.

There's very few restaurants that can resist a bit of googling every now and again to see what's being said about them, usually you find out about this a bit too late :laugh:

you don't win friends with salad

What is this obsession with what the guy looks like? There have been enough food TV presenters that look 'presentable' that have been utter crap, why not concentrate on the content? I think that my favourite early Floyd programs would no get made now on this basis and you know I still think that they are some of the most informative and entertaining food programs about. I bet they have inspired more genuine interest in food, then all the "How I can cook a dinner party and may my friends feel intimidated" crap that has been produced over the last five years.

edit: I have no problem with his looks, other then he looks a little like Nigel Slaters younger, sporty brother.

Edited by Adam Balic (log)

There's very few restaurants that can resist a bit of googling every now and again to see what's being said about them, usually you find out about this a bit too late  :laugh:

Usually about the same time as the chef is emptying the contents of your dinner plate over your head and kicking you out the door.

There's very few restaurants that can resist a bit of googling every now and again to see what's being said about them, usually you find out about this a bit too late  :laugh:

Usually about the same time as the chef is emptying the contents of your dinner plate over your head and kicking you out the door.

i forgot i'd told you the story :biggrin:

I think that my favourite early Floyd programs would no get made now on this basis and you know I still think that they are some of the most informative and entertaining food programs about. I bet they have inspired more genuine interest in food,

agreed, they're often on uk food or whatever and even after repeated viewings are still great to watch, especially when you get the youthful messrs hill, rhodes and stein making an appearance.

With a bit more time and money thrown at it, this topic could have been really interesting (ie interviews with supermarkets, pictures of the transporting process etc) but as it was it didn't teach me anything new.

i'm sure theres plenty of money being thrown at full on food, just not in the right places. but your comment pretty much sums up the whole show, not just that piece.

the bbc is capable of making world class television, and the subject of food is one close to most peoples hearts, why it's failing so badly with full on food is anyones guess.

theres no escaping the fact that the presenters are at least partly to blame, but the production team need a kick up the arse too, if you can't get it right by midway through series two, time to start something new i think.

What is this obsession with what the guy looks like? There have been enough food TV presenters that look 'presentable' that have been utter crap, why not concentrate on the content? I think that my favourite early Floyd programs would no get made now on this basis and you know I still think that they are some of the most informative and entertaining food programs about. I bet they have inspired more genuine interest in food, then all the "How I can cook a dinner party and may my friends feel intimidated" crap that has been produced over the last five years.

edit: I have no problem with his looks, other then he looks a little like Nigel Slaters younger, sporty brother.

surely the point is that the content is severely lacking too, if you're doing a good job of fronting a good show, then no one will care what you look like...........

i agree with what you say about floyd. a friend of mine who worked on a lot of the floyd shows told me recently that the great man is currently in negotiations about a new show. now that i would like to see.

I might have wished that the tomato episode discussed a little more depth on the topic, (types, uses for etc), rather then look at the products of one producer. How about a question along the line of "Well if you can produce good quality stuff, why produce the crap?". I might have wished that the Asian pesto wasn't called pesto. I might have wished that on the pesto episode the type of cheese used was made more clear and why parmesan wasn't used. These are all issues with any show, not really specific faults.

What I think is the main problem is a lack of confidence and the fact that the audience really made the show feel wooden. Much better to have go rid of the audience, concentrated on the food and gained some confidence in front of the camera.