• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Full On Food

whoever said golfers have no sense of humour?

anyway, struggling to bring this thread back on topic, MG (as a PR tool or as anything else) isn't about perfection is it? it's about a new (or revisited) way of cooking and preparing food......

Let me put this in the simplest possible terms, and then be done with it.

- With technique I can achieve the results I want.

- I know what perfection is.

- With technique I can achieve perfect results.

There's something wrong here, isn't there?

No one knows what perfection is, but the reason dining keeps changing so much is that certain chefs set themselves up as visionaries who claim to produce perfect results. What are we saying, that only now in the 21st century has the culinary ideal been revealed to chefs?

If this is the case, then effectively, we have come to the end of the gastronomic road, and are eating in a golden age.

(BTW, I know exactly what MG is, but I'm talking about the application of MG as a PR tool)

Syllogisms aside, it is no more true of MG, than it was true of Careme, or Escoffier, or Nouvelle. Or indeed, it is just as true of MG as it was of Careme et al.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

This thread is about Full On Food. If you want to debate MG and if Heston is nice or horrible, please use this site's extensive search facility to find existing appropriate threads on which to do it. Thanks.

I've gone full circle on Corrigan, before this show I used to find him a bit arrogant and a few years ago I had posssibly the worst Michelin starred meal I had ever eaten at Lindsay House (hard to decide between this and a meal at Pied a Terre).

However, his simple cooking and use of local ingredients is proving very effective on the show. For those that are interested, Wild Salmon was down as low as £17/kg at Borough Market last weekend and Lardo is available from the Italian stall.

The rest of the show is still pants.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

I've gone full circle on Corrigan, before this show I used to find him a bit arrogant and a few years ago I had posssibly the worst Michelin starred meal I had ever eaten at Lindsay House (hard to decide between this and a meal at Pied a Terre).

However, his simple cooking and use of local ingredients is proving very effective on the show. For those that are interested, Wild Salmon was down as low as £17/kg at Borough Market last weekend and Lardo is available from the Italian stall.

The rest of the show is still pants.

Have given it 3 shows and hoped it would get better but it just doesn't seem to work, it's really awkward watching and in essence cack. Which is a shame because I really want a decent foodie program.

Maybe egulleteers should get together and produce a foodie programme?

Over half an hour, could have different sections like:

- restaurant news; who's where, what's in the pipeline

- key restaurant review (not just London!)

- food news; review of suppliers e.g organic meats, seafood

- wine

- ingredient of the week; interesting ideas for e.g. chicory!

hmmmm now, who can we approach with the idea?

And, who would we get to present it?

(We don't have a TV so have no idea who the latest "personalities" are.)

Sarah

Sarah

Problem is that they have ripped off top gear and don't have a jeremy clarkson character, just as top gear would have struggled to get going without him.

Maybe if AA Gill fronted it they'd have someone similarly acerbic and un-pc to hang the show around.

you don't win friends with salad

Oh dear, I am all for the show being inclusive as opposed to 'ivory tower', but the range of the pitch last night was extended beyond belief with the delicatessan piece (and this comes in the distant wake of the furore over Delia's 'how to boil an egg' piece a number of years ago!). Both Merrilee and Richard Johnson looked visibly embarassed after the clip. It's a shame, because all things to all men will never work. There really is only 30 minutes TV in this show. And yes, the glue is missing.

AA Gill presenting? Hmmm... wouldn't that mean that we'd probably see a lot of Clarkson too?

AA Gill surely lacks Clarkson's common touch. I can't see him interacting with the riff raff in the studio audience very easily.

if ever there was a man who's spent his whole life trying to hide his common touch it's gill, full on food is bad enough now, with him it would be unwatchable

Woohoo, or how to bugger up nice scallops in one easy lesson by heston blueindaface.

Thats it, I am sold, tomorrow I eat only scallops fume(e) a l'huile or should I say a l'essence de Lavende.

Hey I might also wash meself with da stuff and save on soap.

Thanks Heston and anyone knows where I can get the same T-shirt? :raz:

First time I saw this (in either incarnation). Thoughts in apparent order:

Good they have a full hour but feeling they are stretching the pieces to fill the time.

Bravo to Richard Johnson. Like the deadpan approach leavened with a hint of cynicism.

Richard Corrigan's enthusiasm shines through, despite an occasionally indecipherable brogue

But Merrilees Parker... oh dear... reminded me of Daisy Donovan trying to lull unsuspecting victims by spouting slightly random blatherings... apart from this time i think the poor gal actually meant it. e.g. Bloke: "and now we put on some sweet potatoes" Bird "oooh... they're really sweet aren't they". No shit sherlock.

Please a little insight is all I ask from my presenters. Is that too much to ask???

The scallop thing was interesting though heston looked awkward on camera. I was surprised by how much the scallops took the flavour of the essential oils after minimal steaming (though there was actually quite a lot of oil in the mix... references I see normally say add a drop or two rather than half a pipette). I would also like to know where I can get a whizzy hob like that which forms a perfectly brown caramelised scallop after about ten secs - my hottest hob takes a minit or two by which time the innards invariably a bit well done!

The only thing they probably should have mentioned is that essential oils as found in Boots et al for cosmetic purposes are generally unfit for human consumption - hope nobody makes the mistake of trying that one out at home!

So overall an improvement... but given the standard of food tv thats not saying much. Still playing to the lowest common denominator. As the BBC mantra goes... "educate, entertain, inform" (or whatever). This program did none of those for me...

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

I would also like to know where I can get a whizzy hob like that which forms a perfectly brown caramelised scallop after about ten secs - my hottest hob takes a minit or two by which time the innards invariably a bit well done!

Sorry but you cannot get the "Whizzy Hob" because this was specially developed with ceramic tiles of the Columbia shuttle and is powered with Naquadac on a Plasma burner which after firing, the plasma packet retains its coherence from a residual magnetic field surrounding it. Upon impact, the magnetic field is broken and the plasma energy is released and the scallops are browned.

Voila!

And you cannot and will not have it. Na!

I think the pan had just been left on the hob for a hell of a long time (you could see it smoking away for much of the scallops piece) so was bloody hot by the time he came to put the scallops in.

PS

Edinburgh

i keep thinking i've got this sky+ and i haven't so i missed most of it, just caught it from the 'travel' section, after 5 minutes of wifey half watching the comment came

'what is this irritating programme?' i had to laugh given the contents of this thread.

you don't win friends with salad

Caught five minutes of it. Apart from the random thought 'I've seen enough of Merrilees' left breast to last me a lifetime', it just left me wondering whether any of these people had worked on teevee before. They certainly seemed to have no idea what they were doing, how to interact with each other, or the audience (who are just as bad as the presenters).

True car crash telly. And not in a good way.

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

Bravo to Richard Johnson. Like the deadpan approach leavened with a hint of cynicism.

Deadpan and cynicism? I thought it was disinterest! :shock:

Is there anybody that does like it? Please join in, we won't bite (typed with fingers crossed behind back).

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

I record it so that I can fast forward the really excruciating bits with "celebs" and most of the Merilees Parker stuff - and concentrate on the bits with Richard Corrigan which I do find acceptable and even good.

Think it's a shame they lost the Stefan bloke from the previous series, would have rather he stayed on than Richard Johnson who doesn't seem that bothered or pleased to be there. At least then it might have been quirky and mildly entertaining. It's so strange since the bits of writing I've seen from him (RJ) aren't bad .. but somehow it doesn't translate to screen.

Also think they should get rid of the audience - if you're not going to get a buzz or atmosphere or interaction from the people being there then don't bother.

Sadly can't think of who I'd like to see on the show instead. Is there anyone decent on UKTV food they could nab?

Deadpan and cynicism? I thought it was disinterest! :shock:

Is there anybody that does like it? Please join in, we won't bite (typed with fingers crossed behind back).

Ohhh, I luv it with the lack of good slapstick comdey on the box at least we have an opportunity to laugh.

Lavender Scallops!!! This is enough to carry me through the weekend...

Ohhh, I luv it with the lack of good slapstick comdey on the box at least we have an opportunity to laugh.
Reading this thread, I see that you certainly did have a laugh between the lavender scallops and the NASA hob. You know those magic mushrooms are illegal now, right?

I think this programme is OK and, for me, Blumenthal's and Corrigan's contribution make it must see TV. Obviously, Heston is at the cutting edge - making scallops taste like urinal cake, what a wheeze - but what about your man, Corrigan, with his varieties of seaweed, his raw mackerel and his horseradish ice cream? Bejasus!

Love his approach to Armagnac, too: so long as its over two years old it's OK and for under £15, you can't go wrong. Shame I just have to inhale the stuff to get a hangover.

That scruffy presenter bloke isn't nearly as drole as he thinks he is. I do think that if you're going to appear on mainstream TV you might at least shave and iron your shirt first. I mean, Heston is no fashion plate but, as Almass noted, his t.shirt was pretty cool.

Reading this thread, I see that you certainly did have a laugh between the lavender scallops and the NASA hob. You know those magic mushrooms are illegal now, right?

I think this programme is OK and, for me, Blumenthal's and Corrigan's contribution make it must see TV. Obviously, Heston is at the cutting edge - making scallops taste like urinal cake, what a wheeze - but what about your man, Corrigan, with his varieties of seaweed, his raw mackerel and his horseradish ice cream? Bejasus!

Love his approach to Armagnac, too: so long as its over two years old it's OK and for under £15, you can't go wrong. Shame I just have to inhale the stuff to get a hangover.

That scruffy presenter bloke isn't nearly as drole as he thinks he is. I do think that if you're going to appear on mainstream TV you might at least shave and iron your shirt first. I mean, Heston is no fashion plate but, as Almass noted, his t.shirt was pretty cool.

Oh s**t, I almost forgot the Horseradish Ice Cream. Muahahahaha.

Do you think this progarm will top the Goonies?

And this beats the hell out of Magic Mushrooms but I am working on it. :cool:

Lavender Scallops and Horseradish Ice Cream. What ever next? Marmite Cassoulet?

Poor poor Escoffier...

.... and tuck in that shirt, and comb that hair, he just looks plain old dirty -

Like you want him anywhere near any kind of food??

Edited by sandra (log)

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~