• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rachael Ray

fiftydollars

I wont give you my Politics/Soccer Moms/Stepford Wives explanation on why shes popular amongst that daytime crowd.

However I hate the way she wastes SALT on her show.

Someone needs to tell her that you dont throw salt over your shoulder everytime you use it, but ONLY when you accidentally spill it.

Also, today she stated that Panka (its really Panko) is RICE BASED!

Its not Rachael, its wheat bread!

I dont wanna hear about her hubby John anymore either.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Rachael Ray, Sandra Lee, and Robin Miller (to name a few of the more remedial personalities on the Food Network) are just good examples of what is wrong with the Food Network--or the entertainment industry, in general.

Rachael Ray is nothing more than a shill; a glorified infomercial host who works a heck of alot cheaper than an actual chef who has busted his/her ass, earning his/her stripes the hard way. Since Ray's qualifications as a chef are non-existent and her talents are marginal (at best), she is a bargain for the powers that be at the FN, who care less about their current cheesy programming formats and more about their profits at the top for their executives.

IMO, if you disapprove of the Food Network's (it is a rare occasion these days when I watch anything on the Food Network) current programming, say so with your channel changer! If the viewers aren't there, they will have no choice but to improve the calliber of their shows.

Wow, I never knew people felt this strongly about Rachel Ray.  I dont really care one way or another about her...

I've always been somewhat surprised how much invective Rachael Ray's name evokes on eGullet and other food related discussion boards.

It's so extreme that if you dare to say something nice about her you're suspected of "rubbing salt on an open wound", although that could also be considered a waste of salt. :wink:

SB (thinks RR's appearence partnered with Mario on IC America cast her in a better light than the Food Network's other "weak" hosts) :cool:

She certainly is quite the little lightening rod, isn't she? Actually, I've defended her 30 Minute Meals show right here since I think her approach can at least get folks who never do so to make their own salad dressings, pasta sauces, etc. which she always does. And she almost looks like Jacques Pepin compared to Sandra/Snadra/Shamdra Lee.:laugh: My gripe is the whole premise of her being EVERYWHERE DOING EVERYTHING which irks me, especially her talk show which makes my ears bleed.

Edited for additional comments.

Edited by divalasvegas (log)

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Since Ray's qualifications as a chef are non-existent and her talents are marginal (at best), she is a bargain for the powers that be at the FN, who care less about their current cheesy programming formats and more about their profits at the top for their executives.

Not a big fan of her myself, but I don't think you're correct here; I read recently she brought in $12 million last year. They don't pay their talent based on professional skills, they pay them based on ratings. That's it.

Rachael Ray, Sandra Lee, and Robin Miller (to name a few of the more remedial  Since Ray's qualifications as a chef are non-existent and her talents are marginal (at best)

I don't believe she's ever referred to herself as a chef - or that she's ever wanted to be called a chef. She knows her strengths and is playing to them; isn't that what we all do at work?

Rachael Ray, Sandra Lee, and Robin Miller (to name a few of the more remedial personalities on the Food Network) are just good examples of what is wrong with the Food Network--or the entertainment industry, in general. 

Rachael Ray is nothing more than a shill; a glorified infomercial host who works a heck of alot cheaper than an actual chef who has busted his/her ass, earning his/her stripes the hard way.  Since Ray's qualifications as a chef are non-existent and her talents are marginal (at best), she is a bargain for the powers that be at the FN, who care less about their current cheesy programming formats and more about their profits at the top for their executives.

IMO, if you disapprove of the Food Network's (it is a rare occasion these days when I watch anything on the Food Network) current programming, say so with your channel changer! If the viewers aren't there, they will have no choice but to improve the calliber of their shows.

Enough with the Rachael Ray bashing! Not every single food has to be the most fancy gourmet food possible. She helps people make decent meals they can make quickly and she has a TV personality that some people like. Not everyone is looking to recreate the French Laundry in their kitchen.

Since Ray's qualifications as a chef are non-existent and her talents are marginal (at best), she is a bargain for the powers that be at the FN, who care less about their current cheesy programming formats and more about their profits at the top for their executives.

if i'm not mistaken, the Food Network is owned by Scripps, which is a publicly traded company. Like most companies, one of their primary concerns is to make money for their shareholders. their "executives" are paid to make sure that happens (and i'm sure, as with most companies, they're let go when they fail). of course, they make money too, but so do most people work.

rachel ray has never claimed to be a "chef". i don't know why people insist on insisting otherwise. maybe it just makes for an easy argument. can't see any point in that though.

Edited by tommy (log)

I think that Rachael Ray fits into a niche of her own that I'm just not willing to criticize. No, she's not a chef by any means, and she certainly doesn't claim to be. On the other hand, I think that she brings a significant amount more ambition to the kitchen than Sandra Lee - the two are not even comparable!

This Youtube clip (cheaply recorded with a webcam off a TV - but you can get the picture) - sums up Sandra Lee:

I think the fact that she is a "little Miss Sunshine" personality is the reason why people hate her so much. I think a lot of people don't like her for that reason alone. Perhaps if she dressed like Siouxsie Sioux and was a big Cure fan she might be taken more seriously amongst those of us who don't identify with her cheerful personality. I might not be a fan of her show, but I don't deny that she has an ideal amount talent and charisma, and way more of both than I have in what she does...

I think the fact that she is a "little Miss Sunshine" personality is the reason why people hate her so much. I think a lot of people don't like her for that reason alone. Perhaps if she dressed like Siouxsie Sioux and was a big Cure fan she might be taken more seriously amongst those of us who don't identify with her cheerful personality. I might not be a fan of her show, but I don't deny that she has an ideal amount talent and charisma, and way more of both than I have in what she does...

It's fine to be "Little Miss Sunshine," but when the personality is the only reason why she is on TV, it becomes grating. One 30 Minute Meals show is fine. Broadcast in the same rotation patterns as any of the other TVFN shows (other than the daily Emeril). But when it's on every day, and then wow, let's give her ANOTHER show, one where she doesn't cook but eats other peoples' food and mugs for the camera about how "yum-o" it is. And even more wow, lets give her a THIRD show where she basically does the same thing, but without the $40 budgetary restraint. And then the ridiculous talk show thing, and the magazine....ugh. That's why she's so hated. Overexposure. She's become the culinary Paris Hilton - her face is everywhere. I, for one, stopped buying Nabisco products because I couldn't stand looking at her.

Kathy

Minxeats
http://www.foodloversguidetobaltimore.com/'>Food Lovers' Guide to Baltimore

• 8 months later...

I think what really galls me so much about Rachael is that she makes it seem as if recipes that take over an hour to accomplish are an arduous task best reserved for people who don't live in the real world.

A friend of mine once remarked to me that he couldn't imagine making pasta sauce for over an hour when jarred would be so much simpler. [M. Hazan's tomato sauce with butter was the object of discussion.]

He said, "That's 60 minutes of my life I'm never going to get back. Where do you find the time?"

*sigh*

I think what really galls me so much about Rachael is that she makes it seem as if recipes that take over an hour to accomplish are an arduous task best reserved for people who don't live in the real world.

When exactly did she convey this? The whole idea behind her show is weekday cooking. I'll also spend hours in the kitchen on weekends, but during the week with kids to feed? Not gonna happen.

When exactly did she convey this? The whole idea behind her show is weekday cooking. I'll also spend hours in the kitchen on weekends, but during the week with kids to feed? Not gonna happen.

It's pretty apparent to me. Her whole schtick is "30 minute meals using five ingredients or less". Well, yeah, you can do that if you use convenience products to cut corners.

And for the record, I'm a single gay guy with lots and lots of free time. To me, cooking is more than a way to provide sustenance. I value it immensely. I'm not in her target market. There's no way you could ever convince me that her style of cooking would have a place in my reality.

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Eh. I'm going to guess that's just clueless-ness. The things are becoming a fashion statement *shakes head*.

I'm more interested in that Fractured Prune donut shop she mentions further down. :)

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

I know it's not a serious threat or Sandra Lee would be making cocktails.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm willing to venture that someone in the costume department thought it looked cool and said: wear this! Probably the same person who dresses Sandra....?

"Chicken Zataar in thirty minutes! Ready to eat by the end of evening prayer! Deeelish! Allah akbar, everybody! Woohoo!!"

- Rachael Ray in a potentially lucrative new gig

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

"Chicken Zataar in thirty minutes! Ready to eat by the end of evening prayer! Deeelish! Allah akbar, everybody! Woohoo!!"

- Rachael Ray in a potentially lucrative new gig

:laugh: I just got water up my nose.....

I know it's not a serious threat or Sandra Lee would be making cocktails.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm willing to venture that someone in the costume department thought it looked cool and said: wear this! Probably the same person who dresses Sandra....?

And clearly that person is a freedom hating terror lover.

Probably a liberal, too. :wink: