• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rachael Ray

fiftydollars

does anyone here listne to music that isn't pure, uncommercialized artistry? does anyone here read books that aren't always enriching and literary? does anyone here ever watch fluffy romantic comedies or slapstick will ferrel movies?

rachel ray is the romantic comedy of the food world. not trying to change the world, but some people enjoy something simple and lighthearted. and that's ok.

maybe she is just a bi-product of society

The producers write the stuff she just does it in her as you say: { "rachel ray is the romantic comedy of the food world. not trying to change the world, but some people enjoy something simple and lighthearted. and that's ok."}

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

The last time I wrote a post in a thread about Rachael Ray, the whole thread was deleted. But I guess this is the "official" thread about her and her shows. So, I'll try again. Except this time, it will be easier.

What LindsayAnn said.

I like Rachael Ray. By that, I mean I like HER. She's got energy and enthusiasm. She seems to be a happy person. She's bubbly and perky. I think she is easy on the eyes. I'd probably actually enjoy hanging out with her. Far better than someone who is uptight, boring, etc.

30 Minute Meals is OK. I think it serves her INTENDED audience well. Does she talk to the viewers like they are children? I dunno. Maybe. But maybe that's what they need. Hell, it's what I need when it comes to certain things. No, not food and cooking (for the most part), but there are plenty of topics I DON'T understand and sometimes learing about it at first as if I were in first grade actually helps.

I actually have one of her books. The second 30 minute meals book. As I flip through it (and watch the show), I see a good amount of fresh ingredients. Fresh veggies. Fresh herbs. Convenience items? Sure. But big deal. We'er talking about knocking out a freshly prepared meal in 30 minutes on a Tuesday night after getting home from work as opposed to swinging by Boston Market on the way home or popping a Stouffer's frozen lasagna into the microwave.

Ok, yeah in her new daytime talk show, she cranks he bubbly, perky personality all the way up to eleven. It's a bit much. Maybe she'll settle down. Or, maybe not. Whatever.

Edited by jsmeeker (log)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Slate article

Rachael Ray: Why food snobs should quit picking on her.

For years, I devoured the show, and Ray and I enjoyed a problem-free relationship. But as she became more popular and her detractors became more vocal, I realized that if I wanted to defend her, I should try a few of her recipes. You can imagine my dismay when, 21 recipes later, I was forced to admit that I could not complete a 30-Minute Meal in 30 minutes. Ray's four-course "Cooking for 10 in 30 Italian Style" menu took me a frenzied one hour, 25 minutes, and 57 seconds. Though the food was very good, I came away exhausted and with a burnt finger.
an article worthy of your consideration ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Slate article

Rachael Ray: Why food snobs should quit picking on her.

For years, I devoured the show, and Ray and I enjoyed a problem-free relationship. But as she became more popular and her detractors became more vocal, I realized that if I wanted to defend her, I should try a few of her recipes. You can imagine my dismay when, 21 recipes later, I was forced to admit that I could not complete a 30-Minute Meal in 30 minutes. Ray's four-course "Cooking for 10 in 30 Italian Style" menu took me a frenzied one hour, 25 minutes, and 57 seconds. Though the food was very good, I came away exhausted and with a burnt finger.
an article worthy of your consideration ...

the same piece came out over a year ago, and actually kicked off this thread: here

my apologies to rachel and the sensibitilies of reasonable people for my "tar and feather" comment. it was obviously off-the-cuff and in jest.

I don't begrudge anyone else their love of her or their pleasure in her work. But personally, I'd rather watch Jacques Pepin's Fast Food My Way. The man is great at teaching the cooking of quick and simple food. And, my favorite part of all - even though he was born in France, he can actually speak real English! Not a syllable of baby talk to be heard anywhere.

Heh, she obviously missed the first parts of the recipe:

1. Have an unbearably perky personality.

2. Be hyperactive.

3. Get hopped-up on caffeine.

4. ...

I love Rachael Ray. :wub: Don't know why, can't explain it to my wife or my mom -- she's got a mouth too large for her head, she wears orange eye-shadow too often, she can eat on $40 a day when I struggle to eat on $40 a week, but somehow, I can overlook all of that. She's my RayRay... :wub: No, really, I'm not kidding...one day, we'll be together, making a nice turkey salad and a delicious minestrone soup.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

Here's a great rant about RR:

http://jackiebeatrules.com/blog/?p=111

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

That entire piece was nauseating to me.

Like someone said earlier, being hateful is so easy. Jackie, how about

showing a bit of class and writing something intellectual and

thoughtful? Or does that take too much effort? :rolleyes:

Because the words intellectual and Rachael Ray don't go together? :raz:

I found myself nodding my head in agreement throughout most of that piece. I too have made this observation to myself:

But the most annoying part is that she always takes a bite of her food and moans like it’s the best thing she’s ever had in her mouth [...]. I have never — NEVER — heard her say anything even remotely negative or even neutral for that matter.

Besides that, I laughed my ass off! :raz:

• 3 weeks later...
[i found myself nodding my head in agreement throughout most of that piece. I too have made this observation to myself:
But the most annoying part is that she always takes a bite of her food and moans like it’s the best thing she’s ever had in her mouth [...]. I have never — NEVER — heard her say anything even remotely negative or even neutral for that matter.

OK, really people - on what TV show has anyone (host or otherwise) NOT made some positive comment about the food they're tasting? Other than Alton Brown on that motorcycle show, or Tony Bourdain perhaps (the travel show, which unfortunately I have not seen) I can't think of someone who tastes the food they've just ordered/prepared and doesn't start to make some kind of mmm-good noises! What do you expect them to do?! Spit it out and say "you've just wasted the last half hour watching me make garbage? Don't do this at home?!" :raz::raz:

Edited by JeanneCake (log)

Ed Levine has an interesting post on his blog about stopping the Rachel Ray hate, based off of a previous article in the Times:

http://www.edlevineeats.com/post/1962

This is a pretty poor defense. It quotes a NY Times article that claims, "she is really trafficking in the ultimate modern luxury: time" and rounds it up with the completely insane argument that Paris Hilton is more deserving of scorn and derision.

The first argument can be made for Sandra Lee -- or for ordering a pizza. And for the second one, what the hell does SHE have to do with cooking? (I have a sinking sensation as a I write this -- has FN booked Paris Hilton for a show?)

Edited by Grub (log)

Breaking News!

In case anyone is planning a trip to New York City some time in the future, I'm sure you won't be wanting to miss out on this....

Burger-O!

About the only thing I can see left for this Wondergirl to do is run for President.

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

The first argument can be made for Sandra Lee -- or for ordering a pizza. And for the second one, what the hell does SHE have to do with cooking? (I have a sinking sensation as a I write this -- has FN booked Paris Hilton for a show?)

Yeah, it's called 'That's Hot!'...... :laugh:

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

well, I haven't read this whole thread--but i think i get the gist of it....and i disagree with it--Rachael Ray's more of a personality than a chef, and so what?

I don't lthink she has anything to teach me--but she has her good points-- i recommended 30 Minute Meals to my twentysomething daughter--the few shows I've seen were fine--simple and tasty sounding recipes that someone without a lot of kitchen skills and a pantry full of exotic ingredients could make.

Just saw a part of her new talk show and i think she's excellent on it--her perky personality is very likeable on the show--and she seems genuinely interested in what her guests are discussing--again, will i watch it, no, but do i think it's better than most talk shows on TV? Yes, I do--certainly better than Martha's show--so boring i can't watch for more than 10 seconds.

So, really, what's the point of trashing the woman? Is she responsible for the crap programming on TV? I don't think so.

But I do agree with the horror about the bad tipping on her show $40 a Day--anyone who's ever waitressed has to cringe at her tips.

Oh man. I wish the pairings were the other way around, but you just KNOW that batali/deLaurentiis would kick the other two bloated gasbags straight into the gutters from whence their cuisine arises. I can't stand RR OR Flay. WHY WAS I NOT CONSULTED ON THIS?!?!

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

But I do agree with the horror about the bad tipping on her show $40 a Day--anyone who's ever waitressed has to cringe at her tips.

oh man, servers all over the world must run the other way when they see RR and her crew coming. :laugh::laugh: i think there's a website somwhere where all of those servers complain about how horribly she tipped them!!

Edited by tommy (log)

• 1 month later...

There is much to not like about Rachel Ray: the chirpiness, the EVOO, the "How..... is that!, but there is a remote and she does fill a niche for something. Perhaps we should save our vitriol for the people who allow E-coli to exist in our food chain, the people who introduced and keep high fructose corn syrup in our food chain and perhaps most importantly those who take fresh artisanal bread and put them in plastic bags.

She's just too overexposed, along with everything else everyone has already said. I about threw my remote at the tv when I saw the cracker ads.That was after visiting my local supermarket and seeing her face on a display there.Scared the shit out of me! :hmmm:

Edited by kristin_71 (log)

She's just too overexposed, along with everything else everyone has already said. I about threw my remote at the tv when I saw the cracker ads.That was after visiting my local supermarket and seeing her face on a display there.Scared the shit out of me!  :hmmm:

I had a similar reaction to her huge-grinning-airbrushed to the point of being cartoonish head. I backed away slowly so as to not aggravate it. :biggrin: