• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rachael Ray

fiftydollars

I suppose I don't watch enough TV but I never seem to stumble across RR anymore.

But I have seen "$40 a Day" and they actually show a copy or simulated copy of the bill for each meal. If I recall correctly there is always a 15% tip added to the actual food subtotal before tax.

I'm in agreement that in most cases, particularly where there's no pricey alcohol bumping up the tab by huge amounts or it's a meal where the total tab is small (e.g. breakfast in the average diner), 15% is not enough.

But the fact remains that in "middle America" (meaning most places in the US outside of major metro areas and pockets of high affluence or high education levels / cultural awareness) 15% is considered to be a "standard" tip.

RR is from the area near Troy NY or thereabouts. I'm from a similar type of area and what she speaks to is the average folks who live in such places and other communities like them throughout the US.

While RR is in no way a culinary giant, I can't see why hard core foodies indulge in these hate-fests.

I know people whose ideas of cooking from scratch are more along the lines of Sandra Lee. People who don't have the foggiest idea of how to prepare fresh vegetables and who consider velveeta and easy cheeze to be real cheese.

Sure, RR is annoying. Sure, she's not a real chef... but she's not our there to teach serious culinary folks.

I'm a busy woman with 4 kids... I take the cheats like chicken stock from a box and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Cheryl

I find it interesting that with both Rachael Ray and Martha Stewart, those who hate them both cite their followers as one of the main reasons why.

Now I'm not a big RR fan, but I don't really know how much you can hold her accountable for her followers--she can't control them, their intellect, their cooking capabilities, or their behavior any more than Martha can control her annoying Stepford clones.

Sure, RR isn't shying from the spotlight any, since the magazines and the tv shows and books are freaking everywhere. But frankly, she's smart to take advantage of her 15 minutes of fame and work it into an empire while she's still riding high.

Ultimately, the rest of the world has just as much free will as anyone, even if you think their tastes suck, or are too hoity toity or too trashy or what.

at the top of the talent love heap at the Food Network, which has changed its focus from information exchange to helpful encouragement.

Leave it to Mario. That beautifully captures what RR's up to. Heh, he said heap.

at the top of the talent love heap at the Food Network, which has changed its focus from information exchange to helpful encouragement.

Leave it to Mario. That beautifully captures what RR's up to. Heh, he said heap.

And there is a place for that sort of thing in this world.

As I'm sure several people have said in RR's defense already, if Rachel Ray has gently guided an open-the-box-and-add-water cook into the world of working with real food through her shows, she has done the world a service.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

In all the Rachel Ray bashing, there is something about it that I haven't seen. Either I missed the comments, or no one else has made them. Anyway, while Rachel has been taking full advantage of her fame ( And are there many, if any, among us who would not do the same if given the opportunity?), I think the real 'villain', for want of a better word, has been ignored. Rachel couldn't be all over the Food Network and elsewhere without the support and encouragement of said network. FoodTV's just following the dictum of "If it succeeds, play it to death!", such as what other networks have done with the plethora of so-called 'reality' shows. If a new show idea succeeds, the networks' mantra is 'more and more is even better!'. And I guess in Rachel's case, her success seems to bear that out.

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

Just watched Rachel Ray's new travel food show because it was on the subject near and dear to my heart: Atlanta ... it was preceded by her show on Savannah .... both were quite good and, while I am fully aware of the fact that her producers send her the choices of places to dine, she had a perfect collection of places to eat here in town .. from inexpensive and casual but very local in tone: the Varsity... to other choices which were equally perfect to show Atlanta dining ... even the Dekalb Farmer's Market! ... they showcased our local dining scene perfectly ... and RR was quite charming and engaged on the topics she covered ...

RR's Tasty Travels

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

• 2 weeks later...

I can't help it.

I kinda like her shows. I don't use them as a cooking guide or anything, but I like the Tasty Travels thing. The different cities, countries, and all.

My one 'complaint' is that she seems to love the food, before she really 'tastes' it. Like as soon as the fork enters her mouth.

Otherwise, no real complaints. Maybe it's because on Tasty Travels, she isn't doing the cooking.

My favorite ( that I can't find anymore ) is "Great Chefs of . . . " .

I like Rachael Ray and I like most of her shows. I read her magazine, and I will

check out her new talk show when it starts. To me, she is like a breath of fresh

air. She is spunky (for lack of a better word), giddy, happy, sappy, full of joy,

and just downright FUN!! :biggrin:

Yeah, her giggling gets out of control at times. Her arm-waving as if she is an

octopus on speed gets a bit tiresome. Hubby and I just look at each other and

roll our eyes. But, really, after watching one of her shows, I just come off feeling better

about my day in general :rolleyes:

Not everyone is Emeril, who uses ingredients from the nether-regions of the

world; or Paula Deen, butter-queen of this century; or Bobby Flay (I'm still trying

to figure him out - but that's okay, he is what he is!!) I know she's been knocked for using

store-bought ingredients. Her show is "30-Minute Meals" folks, so this is no huge surprise :shock:

Quite frankly, I just don't understand all the RR-bashing and the websites

dedicated to it. That being said, I am a huge fan of Anthony Bourdain, the

complete opposite end of the spectrum. I haven't found any websites dedicated

to bashing him (not that I have looked). And, yeah, I've heard his comments about Rachael . . . whatever!! :raz:

I guess I'll get razzed for being a RR fan. That's okay . . .

YUM-MO!!

hehehehehehehe

My favorite ( that I can't find anymore ) is "Great Chefs of . . . " .

D.B., are you thinking of her "Celebrities I Can Get" show? I can't remember the real title, but one episode featured Morgan Freeman, and another Penn & Teller....

How many shows has she had, anyway?

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

--Flannery O'Connor, "A Good Man is Hard to Find"

...one episode featured Morgan Freeman, and another Penn & Teller....

I caught both of those. The Freeman one was good only for one single reason -- there was a very brief shot, that shows Freeman with a facial expression that made him look as if he was thinking "Jesus, is there a VOLUME button on this woman?" when she was having a particularly spastic moment...

The Penn & Teller show was just depressing. I'm a huge fan of theirs, but not even they could make that show enjoyable. They just went along with the schtick and did their thing like a couple of trained monkeys. Their bullshit detector must have been on the blink.

I caught both of those. The Freeman one was good only for one single reason -- there was a very brief shot, that shows Freeman with a facial expression that made him look as if he was thinking "Jesus, is there a VOLUME button on this woman?" when she was having a particularly spastic moment...

I saw that!!!! It was priceless. Ah, memories.

And I'm completely with you re the P&T episode. The producers could've subbed in Steve and Edie Gourmet and no one would've been the wiser.

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

I saw that!!!! It was priceless. Ah, memories.

And I'm completely with you re the P&T episode. The producers could've subbed in Steve and Edie Gourmet and no one would've been the wiser.

Correction: It's Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme.

Yes, kids, it's true: drinking while typing produces curious thoughts and random spelling.

But back to Rachael Ray....

It may have been mentioned before, but do the FN people have makeup on their hands? They all seem to wear long sleeves (cue SL waving huge white butterfly swoops over the skillet of chicken tenders), and never really seem to wash their hands.

RR runs to the sink after handling chicken; under the water, rub palms together three times, back and cut salad. I know time is limited, but is there another reason they never really WASH? Like dislodging Max Factor #27?

It may have been mentioned before, but do the FN people have makeup on their hands?  They all seem to wear long sleeves (cue SL waving huge white butterfly swoops over the skillet of chicken tenders), and never really seem to wash their hands.

RR runs to the sink after handling chicken; under the water, rub palms together three times, back and cut salad.  I know time is limited, but is there another reason they never really WASH?  Like dislodging Max Factor #27?

I was just involved in a shoot for a food TV show last week. They DO wash their hands, you just never see it. Everything that's not foodfoodfood gets edited out. And they take like, a million takes of every single step, so something as seemingly mundane as hand washing doesn't ever make it on screen. Also, I found it interesting that the director, the camera guys, sound guys, etc etc, weren't food people AT ALL. Not even a little bit. They don't care about showing stuff like washing hands, all they want are the pretty shots. There was lots of other surprising stuff I learned about how those food shows get made, but that's another post entirely.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

It may have been mentioned before, but do the FN people have makeup on their hands?   They all seem to wear long sleeves (cue SL waving huge white butterfly swoops over the skillet of chicken tenders), and never really seem to wash their hands.

RR runs to the sink after handling chicken; under the water, rub palms together three times, back and cut salad.   I know time is limited, but is there another reason they never really WASH?   Like dislodging Max Factor #27?

I was just involved in a shoot for a food TV show last week. They DO wash their hands, you just never see it. Everything that's not foodfoodfood gets edited out. And they take like, a million takes of every single step, so something as seemingly mundane as hand washing doesn't ever make it on screen. Also, I found it interesting that the director, the camera guys, sound guys, etc etc, weren't food people AT ALL. Not even a little bit. They don't care about showing stuff like washing hands, all they want are the pretty shots. There was lots of other surprising stuff I learned about how those food shows get made, but that's another post entirely.

I assume that RR's 30 minute meals is done in real time, or am I just being naive? I realize that other shows need multiple shots for close-ups etc, and can be painstaking.

I was really asking about the makeup, since everyone seems to do just a three-second shuffle, giving lip (or finger) service to sanitation. And Rachel's so-touted "really thirty-minutes" would have to allow for someone at home to do the entire "Happy Birthday" routine that we were taught in kindergarten, in order to keep salmonella off the menu.

And Rachel hits that sink SOMETIME in every show, just not for any real wash. She could do that routine with a fingerbowl and a doily. I understand take after take, but the "real" thirty minutes at home would include a good scrub, especially after chicken.

If you're gonna build a show around perfect timing, allow for everything needed in the time frame.

Thas' all.

I assume that RR's 30 minute meals is done in real time, or am I just being naive? I realize that other shows need multiple shots for close-ups etc, and can be painstaking.

I know nothing about how RR does her show, but I would be lots of money that it's not real time. The editing those people do is slick. Really slick. Like, slick to the point you never notice it. They can condense something that would take, oh say, four to five minutes and make it look like it really took only a few seconds, and you would never know the difference. It's really pretty interesting.

This also ties in with racheld's point about the hand-washing thing. They are probably washing their hands longer than just a quick jaunt under the sink, it's just edited in such a way it looks faster. Also, I doubt there is any hand make-up going on. There certainly wasn't on the show I was on.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

Regarding the washing of hands, the host of the "Family Circle" on FoodTV has her pet dog in the kitchen with her. One episode, she entered the kitchen, pet her dog and then proceded to cook, cut up veggies, etc, all without washing her hands on camera. Totally skeeved me out...

At least she could have pretended to wash her hands like Rachel does.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

If you're gonna build a show around perfect timing, allow for everything needed in the time frame.

Thas' all.

i've never ever gotten the sense that her show is built around "perfect" timing. how could one even think that's the case? is it not common sense that an experienced cook is going to be able to, for example, slice and dice faster than a novice? is that not clear to even a novice cook?

i wash my hands about as well as RR does. never got or made anyone sick.

i've seen multiple studies on kitchens and cleanliness. i have no doubt in my mind that if you're reading this thread your kitchen is filled to the brim with microbes and germs and lots of other stuff that people like to think isn't in their homes...or in their dinners. it's really just another case of people thinking they know a lot more than they do. RR doesn't seem to suffer as much from this as others, oddly.

and i'm pretty sure 30 Minute Meals is taped real-time. it's a lot cheaper producing a show when you don't have to edit it.

Edited by tommy (log)